Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2007, 10:24 AM

Hector seems to be regressing!

I am not quite sure how to address this. I have read Wire haired Dashies are very headstrong, but it is worrying me.

When i got him at 8 weeks he was ever so good, learnt his name quickly and would come when called.

However, now at nearly 12 weeks he has other ideas.

I can call him and he wont come at all. Or....he will come but stop 2 metres in front of me. I cant get him to actually come to me at all. If i go towards him he will run away and try to hide.

Its not like a game as his tail isn't wagging. I've never smacked him, so i dont know why he is so weary.

He will only come to me IF he sees i have food in my hand.

He is now ignoring me when we go for walks as well. Last night i called him, and gently pulled his lead but he was having non of it. I went to pick him up and when he was in my arms he really grizzled, so i put him down and ignored him.

Any advice would be fab, as i don't want him to be dis obedient.

Or is it a case he will get better with age? I suppose 12 wks is still very young.

I know he knows his name, so is it just a case of he will come when or if he can be bothered?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2007, 10:43 AM
He's still very very young and there is no reason to stop giving him treats at this age. They are learning so much at that age theat they still need all the incentive you can give them lol!
However, if he is being temperamental then I would get him checked over by the vets to make sure it isn't a medical issue. He shouldn't be grumpy at that age when you pick him up.
Becky
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Yeah, it has only been that once and he is itching like mad so i'm thinking the fleas could be a reason why he is P'd off.

Do you think it is ok he is sometimes ignoring me then at such a young age?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2007, 10:53 AM
You need to constantly treat at this age to reinforce the behaviour you want. If he is a bit preoccupied with itching then this could be your problem.
When you call him do you just call his name or give him a command. This is where a lot of people get it wrong. They just call the dogs name which he knows but don't give them the command for come then wonder why they are being ignored!
Hence only give your dog the command you want them to obey rather than constantly calling their name as it teaches them to ignore you!
Also teaching your dog to come on it's name can cause problems, say he is over the other side of the road and you want him to stay if you call his name he'll come to you so only ever give them a command.
With regards to the not coming right up to you this too is a common issue as dogs see it as end of play, hence it is vital to get down on the floor and call your dog right up to you, give them a game and a hig, then they do not learn to play 'just out of reach', never take a step toward them, if they wont come all the way turn round and walk away from them slowly.
Becky
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2007, 11:01 AM
Good Advice thank you. x

I always say "hector, come here".

If he wont come to me I'll do as you say and walk away. ( i do get to his level btw.

Cheers for help Becky.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-09-2007, 07:39 PM
Hi Catsta
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
You need to constantly treat at this age to reinforce the behaviour you want.When you call him do you just call his name or give him a command. This is where a lot of people get it wrong. They just call the dogs name which he knows but don't give them the command for come then wonder why they are being ignored!
Agree with Becky here, constantly 'treat' and praise good behaviour and remember coming to you should always be a pleasurable experience so if you want Hector for some less than pleasant reason go and get him never call him.

Also don't set yourself up for failure, if you think he is preoccupied and won't come when called don't call him .

Going back to basic training helps too , reinforce the 'look at me' to get his attention (holding a piece of special treat like chicken level with your nose and getting Hector to look you in the eye and concentrate before giving the treat)

Have you seen this article on puppies by Shadowboxer ?
http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=14526

My once perfect puppy now aged 15 weeks has suddenly become deaf and a wild creature forgetting all that she has been taught unless it suites her,I know it is just a phase and she will calm down again, they change daily at this age ..
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Excellent, thanks a lot.
Cat.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2007, 12:17 AM
Just a thought, but when he does come to you, do you pick him up?

It can be a real turn off for some puppies.

You said that sometimes he does start back to you, but stops before getting all the way back? Try sitting down on the floor and not saying anything, not even looking at him, play with a toy, play with the carpet/grass. I'll guarantee you that his curiosity will get the better of him and he'll also realise that you aren't going to play a game of 'catch me if you can'. When he gets all the way back, produce a treat from your pocket or play a game that he likes.

He's still a baby and he's trying out different behaviours to see what works for him.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2007, 12:20 AM
Just another thought, but the 'itching' may be an allergy reaction rather than fleas. Something to check out
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2007, 06:54 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Just another thought, but the 'itching' may be an allergy reaction rather than fleas. Something to check out
I did think he had an allergy as he has some dandruff but i have found a flea.
We are booked in to the vets on Monday, so all will be revealed then.

Re the picking up thing. You could be right. But i have to pick him up a lot when called as i have 20 steps to outside and he isn't allowed to use steps being a Dax.

Thank you so much for the replies.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >