View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
franc1987
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-02-2006, 10:55 AM

internet popups slow internet remastering problem argh!

Last night i saved everything i needed from my computer and completely wiped it clean with the re-boot disks. It was so untidy and messy and had so much crap on it, it was the easiest thing to do.

Well i wish i hadn't bothered now!!!

The first problem i have is, everytime i reconnect to the internet, my anti-virus goes crazy and i spend about 20minutes pressing delete for viruses before i can even look at any web pages.

The second problem is pop ups!!!!! I have a pop up blocker but it doesnt work for this one pop up i keep getting and its driving me mad! Last night i ended up with 50 windows open whilst i was surfing dogweb because of this stupid pop up- does anyone know any programs to get rid?

Also my computer is really slow and keeps freezing. Last night i turned it off and went to bed and when i got up this morning it said it was still shutting down!

I can't get why i am having so many problems, the only thing i have put on my computer since cleaning it all out is
*internet
*anti virus (downloaded from avast)
*MSN Messenger

I havent even put all my files back on there yet!

The only websites i have visited is Myspace.com and Dogweb but when i open up internet explorer my browser is some dodgy website and all of a sudden my webpage will divert to adult friend finder!!!! I don't know why cos i have never visited such a page in my life!

Any ideas how i can restore some normality in my computer it is driving me mad!!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Is your pop blocker activated in explorer?

Tools/pop-up blocker

Then update your windows for all your updates you can also get Microsoft spyware as well free toy uo since you got a genine copy of windows and that it good
franc1987
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Hi Leo- My pop up blocker was activated this morning when i was having problems. The problems got so bad that i remastered again and i have been up and online now for about 10 mins with no pop ups and no viruses. Do you think the problem is with MSN messenger because i havent downloaded the new version yet.
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Check in your internet options what your default home page is -if its something odd then you can delete it and set it to what it should be -also run some kind of spyware programme ..it sounds like you have some hi jack keys going on
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

27-02-2006, 11:01 PM
There are no pop-up adverts in Dogweb.

Do you mean the banner ads that look like pop-ups that show at the top of the Dogweb page?

Sorry to use bold but I think a few people have confused the two so wanted to highlight the difference.

The banner advertisers sometime make their adverts look like pop-ups to try and get people to click on them (clicking on the X at the top right doesn't 'close' them either because they are not 'real' pop ups, just a graphic/image to look like them).
franc1987
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Hi Eraze,

The popups i am talking about open new windows at the bottom of my screen, i thought they were actual pop ups? They are still annoying me but i am just learning to live with them!

THey do seem to get progressively less when i am in dogweb, and at the moment have stopped all together
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

27-02-2006, 11:59 PM
In that case they are not from Dogweb, as we don't use pop-ups or allow any of our advertisers to.

Try using a different browser? Have you got getfirefox.com ? its free and not prone to stuff IE is.

royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-02-2006, 05:58 AM
When you say 'remastered', do you mean returned it back to it's factory settings ?

If so, make sure that you have installed XP service pack 2 before you connect to the internet.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-02-2006, 07:07 AM
Originally Posted by franc1987
Do you think the problem is with MSN messenger because i havent downloaded the new version yet.
When you say the new one do you mean 8 or 7.5 anyway either one I don't think that MSN is to blame for it at all. I would but down more to a bad install of windows not your fault it happens even to the most experience pc user.

You should download Microsofts anti spyware programe it's very good and free also contains pop up blocker as well.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
franc1987
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Hi guys.
Thanks for your replys. I realised i hadn't run my spy ware problem so i ran that and there were 52 spyware problems from my computer. WHen my dad conncted earlier he deleted 20 viruses It seems my computer is a magnet for viruses and spyware!!

I am just downloading the link leo recomended and i realised i only have service back 1.a so do i need to remaster (as in go back to factory settings) again and put service pack 2 on? How do i get service pack 2 without connecting to the internet?

I also keep getting this message from my antivirus: "avast!:connection timeout Internet connection time out elapsed continue waiting? (sdkhj.exe - >

ahhh computers, couldnt do without one cant do with one!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >