View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Would she not be happy to go with you in a little dog carrier, that way she can see the dogs and join in the fun without you having to worry about her hurting herself.

Also, with this 5 minutes per month of life, what age are you supposed to keep this up for? I mean, what age can you stop counting and just walk with your dog without worrying?

Heidi
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
If you want to do the 5k, maybe see if a local rescue would appreciate a walker for a rescue dog to get it out in the public eye?
Brilliant idea, I never ever thought of this , my 12 year old girl hates walking now, we walk out the gate call her and she sits on the steps looking at us as if to say are you mad haha, sniff around the garden and she is pooped but will def consider this for the future
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-06-2011, 03:29 PM
I blame myself for ozzies hip...
To much to young...
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Too much too young can cause a lot of problems. The guide is there for a reason no one is saying it has to be down the the exact minute.
Tbh the more Michael is walked the more hyper he gets
ATD x
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
We dont walk for the hour, we go to a park 10 mins away, she has a sniff, a run, some training and a play and then back home. Takes an hour and shes still full of beans when we get back.

Im not sticking to '5 mins for each month of their life' because thats ****** stupid, she'd go nuts!
Wow, what an attitude. The 5 minute rule is a GUIDELINE designed to stop people over exercising their puppies, which is exactly what you are doing now.

ALL puppies will be "full of beans" -- this does NOT mean they need to be walked and entertained excessively. Puppies need a lot of rest and short bursts of activity, not hour long sessions in the park.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Sorry, but I also think too much exercise is harmful and the 5K walk is far too much for a 14 week old puppy. I am almost paranoid about puppies overdoing things and ending up with bad joints later in life. At the moment I am not even happy with my pup jumping up a couple of steps in the garden, especially if at a gallop - just in case she bangs her legs or twists something.
All puppies "go mad". As I am sitting here Bonnie, who is 9 weeks is having a mad session. Nobody has encouraged it - she has just woken up and is full of herself. It lasts for about 10 minutes and during that time she digs, charges about and chases everything she can, grabs at all the plants in the garden and generally acts the little devil with the wind up her tail. It doesn't mean she's going to be nuts 'though, or that she needs to go for a hike to work it off - its just what puppies do.
In the time I have been writing this she has gradually settled down again (having exhausted herself).
It is said that says the more exercise a dog has the more it wants and it can become a vicious circle trying to keep the dog satisfied.
If it were me I would do the long walk when she is grown up.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 06:02 PM
I think 5k is far too much for a pup so young. I think the guideline for 5mins for each month is a good one, I never stuck to it rigidly, but I would never over exercise a youngster, mental stimulus is far better at that age and wears them out too!! Also remember the more exercise you give, the more they expect!
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-06-2011, 06:37 PM
5k is not very far to be honest and as long as you are sensible and carry the pup a percentage of the way then you will be fine, the social interaction on the walk will be beneficial as everyone loves a puppy.
Well done as well for taking the time you appear to do with your dog.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
Theres a sponsered 'bark in the park' next weekend. Its 5k long. Jinty and I already have hour long walks and shes still full of energy when we get back, but would 5k be too much?

Thankfully, I know the area, and can bail out if needed.

How will I know when shes 'had enough'?

Thanks for the advice!
I am sorry but an hour long walk is FAR too long for a pup of this age and if I saw you at a sponsored walk with a pup of this age I would report you to the RSPCA if you insisted on walking it this far!

I cannot believe that you think this is acceptable!
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I am sorry but an hour long walk is FAR too long for a pup of this age and if I saw you at a sponsored walk with a pup of this age I would report you to the RSPCA if you insisted on walking it this far!

I cannot believe that you think this is acceptable!
I do not think she intends on walking the dog 5k, she will be walking 5k but not the dog, i walked my pups as far but obviously i carried them the vast majority of the distance through towns,train stations, bus stations to try and get them used to the world and its noises.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »