Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
We dont walk for the hour, we go to a park 10 mins away, she has a sniff, a run, some training and a play and then back home. Takes an hour and shes still full of beans when we get back.

Im not sticking to '5 mins for each month of their life' because thats ****** stupid, she'd go nuts!
Obviously this isn't quite what everyone assumed you meant by "hour walks" - I know lots of people don't class off-lead exercise as the same thing as street/on-lead walking as the dog has the option to go at its own place. However, don't think that you need to go and tire the dog out with long walks, remember mental exercise will wear her out too. Count the 10 minute walk each way as her exercise, let her have a bit of a run around, but then do some mental training like sit-stays, hunting for treats/toys in long grass, etc., I bet you'll manage to tire her out just as well, if not more.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 10:47 AM
yeah 5k is fine........

.........if u carried her
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
Im not sticking to '5 mins for each month of their life' because thats ****** stupid, she'd go nuts!
What a ridiculous attitude. I'm not sure why you asked the question in the first place now, as you obviously feel that you're right regardless and the bad language is pretty unimpressive also.....
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
yeah 5k is fine........

.........if u carried her
I wouldnt mind that but I think she would!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 11:19 AM
I always think its important to learn ways to tire a dog out without excessive exercise just incase sometime they injure themselves and need to be rested for a while

Spending 5 min clicker training will do more than 30 min walking, and a few mins sniffing out treats and things is great for a tired out pup

Teach them to be able to be calm rather than trying to exercise them till they drop

I agree that offlead in a park is not as bad for them as onlead pavemnt pounding - and they can take a break when they are tired

But as for your question how will you know when she has had enough
You wont - many pups will keep going long after they have had enough - getting hyper like a little kid on sweeties its up to you to watch out for her little growing joints and build up her muscles slowly
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
What a ridiculous attitude. I'm not sure why you asked the question in the first place now, as you obviously feel that you're right regardless and the bad language is pretty unimpressive also.....
I agree and why would she go mad when my two springers didnt, they did off lead running around for broadly around the 5 mins rule and never go nuts, but we also do mental exercise work with them, sit, stay, and walking to heel even indoors and other find it games!

Walking to the park if the on lead bit is the bit that you need to be careful about the amount and the duration, because this is the forced pace walking on hard surfaces that can be damaging.

Only time will tell whether not worrying works out okay, but in my dogs i dont see the point in taking the risk over something so easily done!
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 11:28 AM
I don't exercise her till she drops, shes still nuts when we get her home. I just like her having the stimulation rather than being cooped up all day.

We do lots of training, shes getting through a lot of chicken! Lol.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Mine are the same when we get home irrespective of how long they have been out, so you could find the same even if out for less time, i say that cos when mine were even younger they were quite hyper when we got home for a few mins regardless of how long/busy they had been.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 11:40 AM
10 mins on a pavement to and from on lead isnt excessive(some people dont have the luxury of cars!)

hows about a compromise tho and just do 20 mins offlead...so thats a warm up,cool down and 20 mins offlead?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Silly attitude - of course puppies " go nuts" although its not an expression i would use, theyre puppies after all. As others have said play with her, train her, teach her to find treats & toys throughout the home.

Too much exercise before 12 months is very very bad

If you wanted a dog to go marathon walks with immediately, you would have been better to have adopted an older dog

Enjoy your puppy, they dont stay puppies for long, there will be time enough later on when shes older to go on longer walks.
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »