View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2008, 10:04 PM
I would never have a weimeranar as where I am I see so many with temperament issues. I also would never have a shar pei or a bulldog as they have too many health issues. I would never go out and purposely buy any of the designer xbreeds but if I was looking for a dog and one needed a home I wouldn't turn it away.
At the moment I am happy with my Sibes and also thinking about a Beauceron but who knows what the future will bring, I'm pretty open minded.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2008, 10:08 PM
i'm pretty dog-allergic so i wouldn't want to risk anything with longer hair than a pointer (although it's probably not length of hair, just that i've built up an immunity to ours!).. also i wouldn't want something i could easily injure although i'd love an italian greyhound.. maybe when i retire! also, i wouldn't choose something that has a short (on average for the breed) lifespan just because losing dogs is so upsetting..
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2008, 10:09 PM
I wouldn't have another long haired dog, Charlie takes up a lot of time and patience with his grooming, although I would consider a poodle but that's more of a boufont really than long hair isn't it? I wouldn't consider a Puli or such. A smaller long haired dog I wouldn't mind, like a cav, but anything past a cocker, not really. I have just gotten so lazy I suppose and used to my girls and a quick bish bash bosh and they are done. When Charlie rolls in a poo it takes forever to get rid of the smell, waiting for it to dry, brush it off and give him a full on bath or else the smell lingers. The girls just have a quick go over with a rag and you're done! I doubt i'd have a GSD or the likes with such a heavy undercoat.

Also at the moment no Mals or Huskies (apart from the undercoat!) or the kind who have such an inclination to run for the hills, as I wouldn't like to have dogs offlead alongside dogs who had to stay on, I would think I was being unfair. Fair enough if I had all Mals or Huskies or others who ALL had to stay onlead. I've always loved both breeds though!

Most toy breeds as I prefer my big dogs and i'd always have big dogs so it would have to be a pretty tenacious, rough and tumble wee thing. I like having Dusty, she's a big dog in wee body and if I were to get another little one it would have to have the same qualities although I doubt it would be another Dachshie as I just fret far too much over her injuring her back.

When i'm too old to handle the big dogs i'll have Chihuahuas and toy poodles.
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Much as I love Sam and would certainly never part with him
I would not get another Welsh Springer as I find him very very difficult to control sometimes which I think is a breed thing as probably Morganstar will testify.

I also would not get a Neopolitan mastiff as I do not like all the folds of skin. There have been a couple in my vets when I was in and there was some kind of smelly fungal thing going on with them. Also I would not be able to control a dog so huge.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2008, 10:11 PM
[quote=Vicki;1280470]As the title says.......

For me it would be any toy breed, because I'm terrified I would tread on the poor creature

Vicki you have to have them in multiples
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by susanatlasinski View Post
I would never have a weimeranar as where I am I see so many with temperament issues. I also would never have a shar pei or a bulldog as they have too many health issues. I would never go out and purposely buy any of the designer xbreeds but if I was looking for a dog and one needed a home I wouldn't turn it away.
At the moment I am happy with my Sibes and also thinking about a Beauceron but who knows what the future will bring, I'm pretty open minded.
This is very true Susan and a huge factor that has unfortunately been an issue that has more recently put me off the breed now as a huge proportion are so highly strung it should be written in the breed standard. I'd always planned to have another but looking around at the dogs now, researching breeders, it's too much of a risk for me to take at the moment. As much as I adore them I just couldn't risk having another with the same temp as the one I have now, for my own sanity! The ones deemed pet only due to their behaviour are usually kept under wraps, secrets of society. You know when you are walking past the weim benches even with your eyes shut! And these are the good ones! Although if you did have one and then went back to Huskies you'd realise the Sibes are a godsend in comparison!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Any long haired dog really as am really allergic to them, but truth be told, even if I could I wouldnt have a collie or spaniel - just a bit too manic for me - need too much exercise and mental stimulation,

I have to say i quite enjoy my lazy little poty bellied piglet - and probably wouldnt have any other breed for a long time - although I know top of hubby's list of dogs woudl be a Bullmastiff.....
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2008, 10:19 PM
growing up with lots and lots of dogs (there were 7 of us - all dog lovers constantly bringing home strays!) from tiny yorkies to a huge gsd cross gave me a love of all dogs - but now, in my home, in my life and for no particular reason I wouldnt consider any dog bigger than a cav.

I just Love small dogs (there now i've said it! )
sammerson
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-02-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm personally not a big fan of labs. I know they are great dogs but I've had a couple of them in the past and they just aren't the dog for me. I guess maybe they have too high energy for me (though I have to admit, Piper drives me insane sometimes!) and I really like the smaller dogs anyways.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2008, 10:20 PM
I wouldnt want a hairy dog, wouldnt want a collie type nor some of the more "dainty" breeds such as the English Toy Terrier or Italian Greyhound, Id be scared of breaking them.
Dawn.
Page 2 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »