View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2008, 11:20 AM

Is there any breed you wouldn't consider?

As the title says.......

For me it would be any toy breed, because I'm terrified I would tread on the poor creature

ADMIN EDIT: Please see POST 7 for thread Guidelines.

vickinicks
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2008, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't have a small breed of dog, ie Yorkies, Scottie's I think they are lovely and beautiful but I like my big doggies!!!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2008, 11:30 AM
long haired dogs....

im still allergic to longer haired dogs - not too bad for a couple of hours but i couldnt live with one...

and its a shame coz there are soooo many lovely ones!!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Toy breeds, for the same reason, I stood on star as a pup the resulted in a vet visit. Also rotties, Love the breeded but from what I have they need a strong owner, that I am not, maybe years down the line.
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2008, 11:36 AM
I wouldnt be able to have a breed that prefers to be in all day by the fire...I like my long walks!!!! So probably toy breeds x
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Westies and Collies would be a no no. Possibly not a Dobermann. I also wouldn't have a Shar Pei but that's because I'm allergic to them lol!
As I've gotten older I've gone from loving big dogs to the little ones, something I never thought would happen!
Becky
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Hi All , just a quick note to say that usually we don't allow threads like this as similar ones in the past have just ended up warzones (as no-one likes to hear others slate their breed).

However we have decided to re-open this one for a number of reasons:

1) We haven't had such a thread in a long time
2) The thread will have additional guidelines
3) It is a valid question, as sometimes there are genuine reasons why we wouldn't want to get a certain breed or type of dog.
4) We're not keen on censorship - and would rather people are able to have their say, so long as, they can put their points across in an amicable manner.
5) All future threads about the same thing will be locked and directed to this one.
6) We'll see how it goes.

So what are the additional thread Guidelines?

Simple: Be as curtious as possible. Put your points across in an adult and amicable manner - remember, people out there own the breed or type of dog you are saying you don't want, so please consider their feelings when replying.

If you can't follow these guidelines then do not reply in this thread.
Thank you
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the additional guidelines, Mini.

I did once seriously consider a Malamute, and got in touch with Mel on here to get some advice.
Considering they need miles and miles and miles of exercise, they are definitely NOT the dog for me. Research, and just a little bit at that, prevented me from making the wrong decision
Like Becky, I've gone "smaller" as the years have passed, having owned a Great Dane, an Afghan Hound and Labs.
I think it's my age.....
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2008, 09:59 PM
I love all breeds of dogs tbh, But i would be frightened to own a very small breed like a teacup chiuaah , As im terribly clumsy and would fear of stepping on it .
My mum owned one once but sadly it got poisioned by the chemicals men who spray the weeds use . xxdk
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2008, 10:00 PM
For us it would be GSD. I have learned a lot about them since having Fudge and many people think she has the breed in her make-up. However my OH was bitten by one as a child (no more details known) and he could never have one as a pet. It took him a long time to get over fear of dogs after the incident.

As achild I always wanted a Yorkie but after having Fudge I love the fact that I can grab her and bury my face in her ruff. Certainly for now toy breeds are ano no.
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »