View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2004, 01:53 PM
health is more improtant than Champs but it is nice to see champs (well puppy owners like it) but temp is more important then both

i have gone right back to aboue Gt jim with all my lot on most sides of the pedigree but when it comes down to breeding i only look back about the 5/6 gen

and in stafford the colour is not that important but it would be nice to know if any odd colours are in the pedigree or if any dog in the pedigree has had odd colours in there pups, but i do try to check on pigment
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2004, 03:00 PM
i agree bobbie ...we have gone back 10 generations with 2 of our girls....champions look great on paper but I don't make it priority when choosing a boy for my girls ....as we know and to be honest not all champions are worthy of that red writing...........
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2004, 05:49 PM
I made sure when I got tamino that I know all of the above, as I knew I would want to breed at one point. :d And it'll be the same when I get my bitch

I also asked about the working titles his relatives have attained. As thats also a very important part of breeding in my point of view.
mr.leo
Dogsey Senior

22-11-2004, 08:17 PM
With Leo's most breeders put restrictions on the dog or bitch before you can breed without the health checks the breeder will not lift the restrictions. This means any pups produced can not be registered with the KC with restrictions in place so will only be pets.
You need to do your homework in to the blood lines to make sure that they are compatable and not to close to each other to reduce the risk of in breeding most breedders go back 5 gens some go back to 10.
Temperment is very important and both dogs should be of a good standard for the breed, as others have said to breed is to try and better the breed.
pete
Almost a Veteran

22-11-2004, 09:31 PM
i wonder if the same is thought about by stud dog owners ,ive seen umpteen adverts for dog at stud so many £££s cause hes got a few tickets, i wonder if they know what the dogs like there puttin him against or if they follow the pups which home they go to and so on .ive also seen theve sired like 30 or more litters in one year is there that many nessecary for the good of the breed and is there that many good dams out there to compliment it.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2004, 08:49 AM
i have been lucky all the studs i have used have had responsible owners........
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2004, 09:07 AM
Think it is not just breeding that is jumped into too quickly but also puppy buying. Think those who are thinking of buying a puppy should do more research too, not only into the breed but also into those who are breeding them. What do others think? is it OK to just buy the first pup you find an advert for or should you put some time into finding the right one.

Do we as puppy purchasers have a responsibility to our chosen breed, and would more care in the choice of puppy help reduce the ever increasing numbers of dogs finding themselves in rescue because they prove unsuitable for the family, something that could have been avoided if the purchaser had done some research into the breed and the breeding
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2