View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2006, 06:43 AM
Unfortunately, it's also a matter of supply and demand. If less people demanded these "designer" crossbreeds, then the supply would dwindle. Breeders, and I use the term loosely, like this are only in it for the money, and show complete irresponsibility. Rescue centres are full to the brim with unfortunate animals who are a direct result of this type of breeding
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-02-2006, 06:56 AM
May I draw your attention to two Dogweb articles which may be considered to be of relevance to this topic. They address correct breeding practices and the reasons why breeding should not be lightly entered into.
http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/a-q...ing_12882.html
http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/thi...his_12589.html
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Archer
FB
I would rather have A WELL BRED DOG from REPUTABLE BREEDER who has done thier RESEARCH and has had all HEALTH TESTS completed on both sire and dam .
I have known pedigrres live for many many years and mongrels die very young...the only certaintly is that if we buy from HEALTH TESTED parents we are reducing the risk of the dog we buy havomg genetic problems.
Let me say this...If a person has a bitch and decides to take a litter from her she has 3 choices....
1/complete health tests and if results are good enough research pedigrees and find a suitable dog to produce high quality pups
2/produce pedigrees using the dog next door...just cos its the same breed
3/produce a 'designer' x breed.
Now if that bitch has HD or a genetic eye disorder then litter 1 will not happen as a responsible breeder will not breed if there is a risk of passing on problems.
However litters 2 and 3 would happen since the health tests have not been done and the owner is onlivious to the problem.This does not mean that the problem will not be inherited by the pups....wether mated to dog 1/ or 2/
What we're trying to say is that the only way to produce pups responsibly is to use health tested parents of impeccible temperaments.I'm afraid the kind of people who deliberately produce x breeds in order to line their pockets very very rarely care about the health or future of the resulting pups.
I would also like to say that a visit to the vet is not 'health tests' as many of these money grabbers try to tell you.
Out of interest FB at £400 your husky was very cheap.Is he registered with the KC and were the parents health tested since you seem to infer he has health problems.
As for
HTML Code:
[I]Also most pedigree's are very badly inbreed leading them to have and suffer from health problems more often then a cross[/I]
I really think you need to do more research before you make such sweeping statements as I am afraid this really is not true.There is no problem with a certain amount of line/inbreeding as long as it doesn't occur in a pedigree too often.

Digressing i know, but my westie cross dandie dinmont bitch was bred from HEALTH TESTED parents, on both sides. Her breeder (R.I.P) was a very REPUTABLE breeder and produced very good dogs, that were very biddable too do a hard days work or curl up on the sofa with you.
I think its a sweeping generalisation to say that anyone has bred litters of X's is irresponsible, as it is clear that not all are!
The same goes for non KC registered breeds i.e the JRT, Patterdale etc both types of terriers which aren't KC registered yet are still bred, will this be another generalisation that anyone who breeds a non KC registered dog, or a non kc recognised breed aswell as crossbreeding is irresponsible too?
If people who breed cross breeds are so irresponsible, why then with 'Florrie's' breeder, did she have names down on pups either prior too their birth or when they were very young? And as i brought a first cross pup off her, does this make me an irresponsible owner then?
Footybird11
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Thanks glad im not the only one with this frame of mind! she is not KC as i feel that it is just a bit of paper that says KC registered on it and is moslty used for show purposes. and i have checked her pedigree and spoke to most of the breeders from it who say that her certificate is correct therefore she is a true pedigree (before someone says she isn't because she aint kc.)
my cross boy was from two pedigree dogs that were both health tested ready for breeding (not together tho) but the male escaped next door and mated with the female. thats not irresponsible, its just unfortunate! and theres a lot of pedigrees in rescues to where the breeders are not always responsible enough with finding the right owners or offering to take dogs back.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-02-2006, 03:40 PM
Can we please not turn this thread into yet another pedigree versus cross breed debate.

Earlier in this thread Shadowboxer pointed out the topic has frequently been discussed on Dogweb and recently too.

Everyone has their own opinion on this topic and I think we should agree to differ where others do not share our opinions
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2006, 04:38 PM
I know your little dog is from health tested parents but this breeder is the exception NOT the rule.I love all dogs...pedigree or not but am just trying to advise that people buy from reputable sources and so don't suffer the heartache I have.The main thing is to encourage breeders to breed responsibly and to offer a 'full package' of after care and to discourage money making idiots who see dogs as breeding machines.
I was on a site yesterday ...found many litters of sibe/mal,gsd/sibe,gsd/mal litters...they can't all(if any) be accidents from health tested parents.
I saw an advert last year...someone was advertising that they wanted a elkhound stud to use on their bitch.I phoned in the hope of pointing them back to their dogs breeder for good advice.It turned out that the dog had come from the local 'puppy supermarket'.I told her about health tests etc.She then said ''in that case I'll use the husly puppy I just brought in a on her next season...they'll make pretty puppies" .This is the kind of practice we need to stop supporting

Originally Posted by Luke
Digressing i know, but my westie cross dandie dinmont bitch was bred from HEALTH TESTED parents, on both sides. Her breeder (R.I.P) was a very REPUTABLE breeder and produced very good dogs, that were very biddable too do a hard days work or curl up on the sofa with you.
I think its a sweeping generalisation to say that anyone has bred litters of X's is irresponsible, as it is clear that not all are!
The same goes for non KC registered breeds i.e the JRT, Patterdale etc both types of terriers which aren't KC registered yet are still bred, will this be another generalisation that anyone who breeds a non KC registered dog, or a non kc recognised breed aswell as crossbreeding is irresponsible too?
If people who breed cross breeds are so irresponsible, why then with 'Florrie's' breeder, did she have names down on pups either prior too their birth or when they were very young? And as i brought a first cross pup off her, does this make me an irresponsible owner then?
micki
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-02-2006, 04:33 PM
Thordell i take great offence at u calling the Northern inuit a cross breed.. It is not thank u very much... not that there is anything wrong with cross breeds. one of my dogs is a ROTTIE X NEO MASTIFF. is he wrong? he's my best buddy..
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by micki
Thordell i take great offence at u calling the Northern inuit a cross breed.. It is not thank u very much... not that there is anything wrong with cross breeds. one of my dogs is a ROTTIE X NEO MASTIFF. is he wrong? he's my best buddy..
Why are you offended then? Even those who own NI's will tell you they are the result of cross breeding and if you look at photos it is obvious they are not breeding to type.
micki
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-02-2006, 04:46 PM
I take offence due to being NI owner myself. i own both pedigree and cross breeds. The NI is no longer a cross breed as it is breeding true. Most breeds are the result of selective crossing anyway so wots the point ur making i wonder?
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Thordell, people must be sick and tired of this and we don't want yet another debate about NI - yes they originated from crossbreeding 18 years ago (all breeds are crossbred at some point in their development), but you well know that NI has been bred to NI for years now - many going back 15 generations of NI to NI. As for breeding to type - you haven't been keeping up with the times as all recent litters are proving very true to type with no throw back to the original breeds at all! Which is brilliant as breeds such as GSD which have been around much longer still have great variation in type.
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »