View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-05-2014, 02:32 PM
For me where blame lay would be irrelevant tbh I'd only be interested in keeping my dog safe and I believe that was the viewpoint of most posters. People were simply offering suggestions on how to do that.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

20-05-2014, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Mr.Bulldog View Post
And breathe....

I think its safe to say that blame indeed lies with the handler of the transgressing dog. Nonetheless an incident occurred which is bad for all parties involved. I think folk were just brainstorming ideas that might prevent problems in the future.
I was rather upset yesterday and I did not like either my dog or me being shouted at, nor did I appreciate having a torch shone in my face. I am extremely protective of Pereg because of her condition and I do not like her being upset like that. I have lived in this little bungalow for 14½ years and had a dog for all that time. Tethered so that they could not get onto the pavement but had plenty of space to play in and exercise, and after the first incident when Pereg was attacked she has always warned off any dog who even looks like it is going to come into the yard. That is usually my cue to go out and make sure she is OK, because if she is in the front of the bungalow I cannot see her.

Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
For me where blame lay would be irrelevant tbh I'd only be interested in keeping my dog safe and I believe that was the viewpoint of most posters. People were simply offering suggestions on how to do that.
I understand and I really do appreciate all the suggestions. But when I say that it is impossible for my yard to be fenced in, it is just that. Unfortunately it is not always possible to take Pereg out for long walks but she is happy being able to go out and come in at will. And when she is in she is usually sitting or sprawling by the open front door watching the world go by. What little there is of it here.

And I like to sit with the door open because I also like to see out, and with only one small window it is very dark with the door closed. It is also rather stuffy. So unless it is bucketing down with rain the door is open nearly all day and evening until I go to bed. Because my bungalow is set so low down, from where I sit the bottom of the window is below pavement level, and you can see from the photographs how narrow the windows are.

As for it being legal for my dog to be tethered in my yard - yes it is. Dr Vadim, the Local Authority Vet, who is responsible for rabies shots and registering them with the Ministry of Agriculture as a form of dog licence, has been coming to my home every year to give the shots since I first rescued Little One. He also microchipped both LO and Pereg. If there was anything illegal about it he would have told me. It is the people who do not bother with the mandatory rabies shots, do not put collars on their dogs, and let them roam free who are the ones breaking the law.

Not I.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

20-05-2014, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I was rather upset yesterday and I did not like either my dog or me being shouted at, nor did I appreciate having a torch shone in my face. I am extremely protective of Pereg because of her condition and I do not like her being upset like that. I have lived in this little bungalow for 14½ years and had a dog for all that time. Tethered so that they could not get onto the pavement but had plenty of space to play in and exercise, and after the first incident when Pereg was attacked she has always warned off any dog who even looks like it is going to come into the yard. That is usually my cue to go out and make sure she is OK, because if she is in the front of the bungalow I cannot see her.

I understand and I really do appreciate all the suggestions. But when I say that it is impossible for my yard to be fenced in, it is just that. Unfortunately it is not always possible to take Pereg out for long walks but she is happy being able to go out and come in at will. And when she is in she is usually sitting or sprawling by the open front door watching the world go by. What little there is of it here.

And I like to sit with the door open because I also like to see out, and with only one small window it is very dark with the door closed. It is also rather stuffy. So unless it is bucketing down with rain the door is open nearly all day and evening until I go to bed. Because my bungalow is set so low down, from where I sit the bottom of the window is below pavement level, and you can see from the photographs how narrow the windows are.

As for it being legal for my dog to be tethered in my yard - yes it is. Dr Vadim, the Local Authority Vet, who is responsible for rabies shots and registering them with the Ministry of Agriculture as a form of dog licence, has been coming to my home every year to give the shots since I first rescued Little One. He also microchipped both LO and Pereg. If there was anything illegal about it he would have told me. It is the people who do not bother with the mandatory rabies shots, do not put collars on their dogs, and let them roam free who are the ones breaking the law.

Not I.
I think we all appreciate that, but the issue is that regardless of who is breaking the law, your dog is the one that suffers from it........... people were only trying to find solutions for you,
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

20-05-2014, 04:53 PM
I know Jackie, and I really am grateful. But there honestly is nothing I can do to alter things.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Malka, I am not one to go shooting people down for being in a tough situation. Because the Earth knows I am almost always in them. If you can't fence, then you can't fence. We could afford a fence (not me but the people who own this house) but it cannot be done because of the terrain.

So I have to take care to look out for strays and people who don't have their dogs under good control. I suppose the only thing you can do is keep a close eye out to ensure that if any dogs do wander into your yard, you can shoo them away in time before Pereg is injured.

That is all I can do, and no it does not always work... especially when some of the dogs that come into your yard are pit bulls and other dogs who are HARD to get rid of once they lock onto your dog as a target.

It was wrong of them to let the dog run into your yard, I think that is the main point. We just wanted to try and help keep little Pereg safer any way possible.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5