View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-05-2014, 09:42 AM
Can you get windbreaks or the type of fencing people use for caravanning at shows and events maybe.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-05-2014, 09:42 AM
I know you think you've taken all reasonable steps Malka but as Tawneywolf says we all do and then some tw@t proves us wrong. I don't want to live in what looks like an army compound so have to opt for more aesthetically pleasing options which cost the earth.
I did once live in a house that had open plan gardens at the front and all sorts of rules about what you could and couldn't do, it drove me round the bend at times, I owned it yet was forever seeking permission for this, that and the other. I eventually put a fence up out the front because I was sick to death of people taking a short cut across my front garden. I was told to remove it and said no giving the reason it was to keep my dog secure and for the safety of others. They gave up in the end.
I think if the no fence rule applies I'd consider a dog run as they obviously have no issue with sheds etc.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2014, 09:49 AM
From what I have gathered, Malka often leaves the door open and tethers Pereg near it and if Pereg needs shade, she simply WALKS inside most of the time. Maybe an outdoor dog house might help? Will offer shade and maybe provide a bit of protection against incoming dogs? Not sure.

As another person who cannot put up a proper fence, I realize how difficult it can be to keep dogs safe, even when they are in your own yard. An electric fence only helps the dog wearing the collar that goes with it, I think.

Besides, anything "electric" with regards to dogs is just EGH.
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2014, 11:21 AM
I'm not 100% sure which of the bungalows shown in the photos is Malka's - I'm presuming the smaller one on the right? I don't know about Israeli laws obviously but it does look to me as if the house on the left has a covered porch in front of it with a low fence. Something similar on your property would create a lovely shady area for Pereg to relax in, and you could easily fill in the gap between the fence and the roof with chain-link or even chicken-wire, which would deter most dogs. In British law, when you apply for permission to add something like this to your house, if a nearby property has already done it, you are very likely to be granted permission. Just a thought!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

20-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Abi, the large house next door belongs to my landlady [or rather the whole family, who own the entire plot which includes my little home]. It is also built on flat ground, not set low down as mine is, and the covered porch was part of the planning permission when the bungalow was extended.

The front part of it, where the little fence is, is open roofed as it is used as a Succa during the Festival of Succot, with a temporary roof of palm fronds. Nothing like that can be built on the little concrete patch in front of my door as the scaffolding poles holding the solar panel and boiler are in the middle of it.

I also could not afford it even if I could get planning permission, which is highly unlikely as my bungalow is rented.

It is actually very rare that dogs do come into the yard as since the first nasty episode Pereg makes it very clear that she does not want to be approached by any of them. I heard her warning bark yesterday evening so went to the door to see what was happening, as I could see the group of people standing there with the older dog on a lead. They had apparently let the unleashed dog go into the yard, presumably to play with Pereg, who they thought was a puppy.
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2014, 01:27 PM
I didn't realize it was a rented bungalow, Malka, that does make things more difficult for you I wondered if the solar panel could go on the roof of the covered porch, too, but if it's only palm fronds obviously it wouldn't take that kind of weight.

If shade is a problem, how about one of those beach-type umbrellas (one of those ones that angle, so you can change it as the sun moves)? If you adjust it so it's shorter than the poles for the solar panel, then it shouldn't affect it. You can always take it down when Pereg's not out there, so it shouldn't cause any objections with your neighbours.

One other idea I had, though again, your landlady would have to agree to it - How about an electronic dog-door, like this:-
http://www.hitecpet.com/electronic-pet-door.html

You could fit this to a dog-kennel kept outside, or maybe better still, to your own front door, and the 'key' would be on Pereg's collar; that way she would have a safe-place to retreat to where no other dog/animal/person could get to her.

Obviously you'd still have to tether her, but if you spent a bit of time training her to go through her 'door' whenever she sees another dog, then it might just be a solution that would work for her and for you.

I don't know how much it would cost to have something like that shipped and fitted to Israel (is there a supplier in Israel somewhere, perhaps?), but it's got to be cheaper than moving house or putting up an entire enclosed porch!

Oh dear, that's a lot of 'ifs' .. IF your landlady is ok with the idea, IF you can get hold of one, IF you can find someone to fit it, IF you can afford it all . .

I really do hope you find a solution; it's obvious how much you adore your dog and it must have felt like a nightmare when this happened, especially after last time! I do hope it hasn't upset Pereg, too, and made her nervous about being outside. If only they could talk, eh?

Best of luck with everything - I hope those dog-owners are sensible enough to realize they are 'barking up the wrong tree' (no pun intended ) if they think they can sue you over their own badly-controlled dog!
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by PONlady View Post
One other idea I had, though again, your landlady would have to agree to it - How about an electronic dog-door, like this:-
http://www.hitecpet.com/electronic-pet-door.html
Here's another link to one that looks less expensive
http://www.petdoors.com/petsafe-pass...rt-system.html
Mr.Bulldog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-05-2014, 01:44 PM
Difficult one you have there then, if you really cant fence and cant convince your landlord otherwise then the only reliable solution may indeed be to supervise at all times when outside. If you are worried about your ability to handle an aggressive dog a good water pistol is more successful than you might expect and an ammonia soaked rag will see off all but the most diehard fighters. Also fully check up on all related laws in your locality.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

20-05-2014, 01:54 PM
I posted late last night [it was coming up to midnight here] and it was more of a rhetorical question due to being in a bit of shock over the whole episode. My original title was just "Dog on dog attack" and the ( law and advice ) was added - presumably by one of the mods. Apart from anything else I use [and] and not ( and ) with no spaces.

Pereg had gone out for a final pee and poo - she uses the area near the trees as her toilet area - and both my outside lights were on so she was clearly visible. She has every right to be in my front yard because she is tethered and cannot get near, let alone onto the pavement.

By keeping her tethered I am keeping to the law. Owners of dogs going past, whether with owners or not, who are not leashed and/or are not wearing collars, are breaking the law.

And I am not going to confine my dog to a very small concrete area, shade or no shade, which would also have to have a 2 metre gate across my ramp.
Mr.Bulldog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-05-2014, 02:23 PM
And breathe....

I think its safe to say that blame indeed lies with the handler of the transgressing dog. Nonetheless an incident occurred which is bad for all parties involved. I think folk were just brainstorming ideas that might prevent problems in the future.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >