Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Elizabeth is obviously a happy well adjusted dog who was totally unfazed by all the noise, lights etc. in the big ring. She is in peak condition and well loved. Yes, so she doesn't get to do all the stuff that some of our dogs do - but does she know? Is she neglected? No, of course not. Just because her life is different, doesn't mean it is bad.
Isn't that a bit like saying circus animals, puppies in pet shops, battery hens etc know no better so their lives are different, not bad?
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Neither is the bone idleness of some pet owners, but I'm willing to get it goes on a Hell of a lot. It certainly doesn't excuse it, my point is under exercising your dog (for whatever reason) is wrong, but it's not about showing rather poor ownership altogether.
I agree and to be fair I haven't said otherwise.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Isn't that a bit like saying circus animals, puppies in pet shops, battery hens etc know no better so their lives are different, not bad?

I would say so and if you read the rest of the mail article there are 20 other dogs getting exactly the same treatment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1pNXZ5kaL
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Lots of wrongs don't make a right and TBH she ought to know better.

Why defend it----just because she is a show person? I have met agility people in the past who did appalling things to their dogs----no way would I defend it in private or in public.

rune
I am not defending it ..just because she is a show person, I am saying the fact a dog does not get dirty or run through brambles is not the worse thing that goes on in canine welfare

Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
I would as a pet owner be condemned if I didn't walk my dog, quite rightly. It makes no difference to me in either direction whether the dog is pet, show, whatever. Dogs (yes, even the frou frou ones) need proper daily exercise and mental stimulation. Keeping an extravagant coat neat and clean in order to win trophies isn't a valid excuse to not provide this.
my mother does not walk her dog , has not done for years, the dog is happy in her life ! She does not like going out, so in your eyes she ( my mum) is to be condemned.

Dont judge others by your own standards. You don't know if Elizabeth or my mums dog is mistreated or as happy as larry, I can tell you my mums is , she a well adjusted dog and is much loved.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 06:50 PM
It isn't a dog---it is a doll.

Gross and inexcusable IMO. At junior camp we once had a top show breeder who had written a piece on ethics. Her poms were kept crated in cat baskets and allowed into a playpen outside for an hour or so. This was someone supposed to be teaching juniors how to behave with their dogs!

It stinks.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

17-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Isn't that a bit like saying circus animals, puppies in pet shops, battery hens etc know no better so their lives are different, not bad[/b]?
You could say the same about any domesticated animal, if you asked, you might be surprised at the answer you get.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

17-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
It isn't a dog---it is a doll.

Gross and inexcusable IMO. At junior camp we once had a top show breeder who had written a piece on ethics. Her poms were kept crated in cat baskets and allowed into a playpen outside for an hour or so. This was someone supposed to be teaching juniors how to behave with their dogs!

It stinks.

rune
I know someone who keeps her boxers the same way, I disagree,and in this case think its cruel.

But if the report on Elizabeth is to be believed. She has outside free exercise and lives in the home, as a pet, pampered granted, but far from cruelty
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 07:00 PM
She is pampered, but and this is a genuine question, because i can sort of see the no walking bit, Fudge is only walked a couple of times of week otherwise he's crippled, how the hell do you give sufficient time and attention to 20 dogs, its hard enough with 5, i just can't imagine it with 20
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 07:08 PM
It is perfectly understandable if a dog is never walked because of a genuine reason. I have one dog who doesn`t go out because he is too afraid to.
But it is sad that these dogs aren`t allowed all the pleasures of a full doggy life - charging through muddy puddles, sniffing after rabbits etc.
Many children these days are also insulated from `dirt`. When teaching art I have a real problem with youngsters who won`t use charcoal or pastels because it `gets their hands dirty`.
It seems like such a missed opportunity. What`s better than watching your dog explore the Great Outdoors?
I know many show people take pride in the fact that their dogs lead normal lives. I did notice this owners` obsessive combing of the dog in the ring so I suspect the life led by the dogs to be more about `not getting dirty` than about welfare.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
my mother does not walk her dog , has not done for years, the dog is happy in her life ! She does not like going out, so in your eyes she ( my mum) is to be condemned.

Dont judge others by your own standards. You don't know if Elizabeth or my mums dog is mistreated or as happy as larry, I can tell you my mums is , she a well adjusted dog and is much loved.
There are always exceptions, but the vast majority of healthy dogs need and desire regular exercise. I don't know the circumstances behind why your mum's dog isn't walked but it isn't for the same reasons as Elizabeth, is it?
Page 4 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »