View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 09:15 PM
I wouldn't take a walk in a thunder storm, at least not through open spaces like fields. I LOVE proper thunder and lighting because we so very rarely get it for longer than a few minutes. But I'd rather watch from at home, wait the short while until it passes, then go out.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 09:17 PM
The last time i took the dogs out in a thunder storm I opened the front door and the lightning and thunder was right above our house and oh so loud!! All 7 of us (hubby,me and 5 dogs) jumped about 6 foot off the ground and ran back in the house!! So no I don't!!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-07-2010, 07:05 AM
if I was out in a storm I would have to deal with it not keen on it nor is Ollie and I definitely would not have him off lead in a storm. If I was indoors and it started we would wait till it had cleared.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2010, 07:22 AM
I've been caught out in a storm but wouldn't purposely head out in one - that's more because I live surrounded in fields though so don't want to take the risk of lightening hitting us. It's hit the big tree next to our house, our roof, and the neighbour's phoneline (fried half their electronics!) which are just the few times I can remember, so there is a real risk.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2010, 07:39 AM
If I was out in it I would carry on - but I would not deliberately head out if during a storm.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-07-2010, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
I was thinking about this today as we were out for our evening walk. There's been a lot of thunder and lightening round today and fortunately for me, Monty is unphased by it. I, on the other hand, hate thunder and lightening and will avoid going out in it at all costs.

So what about you guys:

1. Do you still walk your dog during a storm?

2. If so, do you still let them off lead or keep them on incase they do get scared and make a run for it?
No, I would not intentionally go out in one, and if I was caught in one , I would make for home.

I would not let my dogs off lead in one either, just in case they got frightened.

Thunder is bad enough , but if we have a true lightning storm, definitely not.

My old dad used to run round the house unplugging all sockets when it was lightning
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-07-2010, 08:09 AM
We went out in the storm last night it was ok the dogs are quite brave. It was me that was i bit wary. We didnt have a choice it was the only time go walkies we had.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Jake has never been in one yet, but knowing him, he probably wouldnt be bothered. I like them, so as long as jake is ok then we will go out in them. The weather forecast says we are meant to have one today or tomorrow (cant remember which ) see we will see then.
Kanie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-07-2010, 06:16 PM
we were out in thunder and lightening last night and the dogs (I was with a friend) were totally un-moved by it!
Despite torrential rain, Dill (mine) insisted on dropping his ball down the river cliff at every opportunity and going for a dip!

I've had other dogs that really didn't like it though and I would never force a dog out that wasn't eager to go.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Yes we would go out walking in a storm - neither my dogs nor myself are bothered by thunder and lightning.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >