Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by phil2009 View Post
I feel there are more breeders out there that are not in it for the money and love and care for the breed they breed from for the blood line regardless weather there KC registered or whether there showing or even working dogs . And there’s only a hand full that doesn’t care for the breed and are out for the money.
I really, really wish you were right. Unfortunately, I think it is the other way round. Certainly in my breed there are far more breeders out there who care only for the money - don't show their dogs, don't work their dogs in fact don't do anything with their dogs except breed them for money. In just over two years of running a successful Breed Welfare organisation, less than 1% of the dogs we have had in come from what I would regard as reputable breeders. The rest have been (mainly unregistered) from puppy farmers, backyard breeders or naive/greedy "pet" breeders.

Mick
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-02-2009, 02:13 PM
OK, a good response in this thread from you all, thank you.

The post that Stephanie made about her sisters dog made horrendous reading, the breeder in question was a member of that breeds club too.

Perhaps this may be a solution to the problem Re : breeders refusing to accept responsibility and the return of puppies they've bred.

Accredited registered breeders with the KC should also enter into a contract with the KC and sign a contract with them that they will accept an unwanted puppy back from a buyer.

Failure to comply with this contract they've signed would result in the KC removing them from the breeders list and also removing their affix, this would prevent them from registering any new litters.

The KC has no control over the casual breeders and BYB but I think my suggestion is worth looking at.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Breeders could offer training to pups sold, as I did, I would reduce the amount of problems later on, help ensure the dog stays in the first home, ok its not viable for dogs that go a long distance,

I did mention to the club at one point about starting a network of rottie breeders offering training, that way if you sell a dog out the area, it could go to another rottie breeder offering training in another area,
the idea wasnt taken on though,
What a shame no one wanted to be involved Shona, as I think that sounds like an excellent idea.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 01:34 AM
It is an excellent idea. Maybe all breeders nationally re each breded could get together and do thesame thing so every breed has this training to begin with. It;'s a fantastic idea.

As far as Shadow is concerned (MAL without a tail) I was told by his owner that this was the reason for the breeder not taking him back. I haven't spoken with the breeder myself (which is probably a good thing as I'd get locked up for what I'd say to him) but I'm more than happy to publish his details once I find out who it is.

I have no news on him as yet ut he's not in any danger where he is. He's still well cared for but just doesn't get the amount of exercise he needs so desperately. I only wish I could'vre taken him - I'd have had him like a shot.

Laura xx
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Sounds like a great idea Dennis...
I think making assumptions about breeders only being in it for the money in a lot if cases is wrong, but there again any good breeder can stand out a mile from the bad by being willing and showing an active interest in their own pups...it is so easy for breeders to pull the wool over our eyes...For me good breeders actions speak louder than words...
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 11:28 AM
What you need to ask is why the litter was bred in the first place, was it because the breeder wanted to keep one or had a lot of people asking to be put on their waiting list, or just to make money.

There are a lot of people out there who genuinely care about their breeds and only breed for the right reasons, money isn't a first consideration.

If there were less pets being bred from by owners who don't know what they are doing, don't even consider they need to health test, a lot of the health issues could be bred out, and maybe less dogs would find themselves in rescue.

I am fed up with seeing staffies in rescue in my area, and someone advertising his dog at stud (in my area) on forums in pet shops and on his web site boasting about its potence and the size of the litters and the fact they will sell easy, he is definitly in it for the money grrr.

If he is on this forum, shame on you!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 12:29 PM
talking to people who have had a pup from a previous litter would be of use, looking for a good breeder, if previous owners are happy, have had the contact and back up needed, that would be a big bonus for me.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
talking to people who have had a pup from a previous litter would be of use, looking for a good breeder, if previous owners are happy, have had the contact and back up needed, that would be a big bonus for me.
Definitely! Prior to booking a pup from Yogi's breeder, I spoke to three owners who had dogs from that breeder. They were all more than happy to tell me their views, show me pics of their dogs and in all cases were either considering a second dog from this breeder in future, or had already booked or taken possession of one

I think if someone goes back to the same breeder for a second, third or fourth dog etc, then that says an awful lot.

I also know that this particular breeder takes back any dog of their breeding that needs rehoming for whatever reason and, to me, that is very important in proving they are a reputable breeder.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5