Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
I think people who do not show their dog and breed it are in it for the money .Of course it may be a superb working dog or have some other skill but if it's just that they have decided they have a good speciman of the breed then it's all about money .
I know really good breeders who are breedig only very occasionally with a view to improving the breed . Their dogs have been judged by others to be superb examples of the breed . If I am buying a pedigree puppy these are the sort of people I would buy a pup from . Not someone who is breeding any old bitch with any old dog to make a bit of money

That's a bit of a sweeping statement (in bold)

Krystal had two pups. I kept them. So far, all I have done is shell out money at the Vets. Not much money made there. There are more reasons than money that a person breeds for, I can assure you of that

"breeding any old bitch with any old dog" of course is unacceptable and actually, quite disgusting
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 05:51 PM
A sweeping statement it may be but it is my opinion .
I have seen far too many of these so called " in it for the love of the breed breeders "
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
A sweeping statement it may be but it is my opinion .
I have seen far too many of these so called " in it for the love of the breed breeders "
I'm sure you have but you can't tar all breeders with the same brush. Well you can (you can say what you like) but it's not really fair is it

I have an opinion about SOME breeders that breed for show but I wouldn't say the same about all of them. In my opinion, everything isn't about how a dog looks. Apparently, some breeders that show, inbreed (not that they would ever admit it of course) - that is unethical in every sense - in my opinion. Mostly though, breeders that show are sensible and caring of their chosen breed and wouldn't dare to take chances with their lines. Hence why I don't choose to tar all breeders that show with the same brush. I like to be fair and take each breeder on their own merits. Some people prefer to judge without cause - that's their right though Just glad that I can see far enough to be able to judge people fairly
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 06:35 PM
LOL well I can tell you now I am certainly not in it for the money, two litters " I made" £36 thereabout on the first and lost about £1,000 on my last due to the complications, but I do know many will breed to make a few bob, at work we are getting a steady stream of people coming into there, JUST to find a stud dog to mate with their existing bitch (and this is from a rescue) obviously these people dont realise they are doing anything wrong and openly tell the staff this is their intentions, and obviously they do not get a dog, with the way the credit crunch is going I think there will be more that will breed their "pet" to make a few bob from the litters, and we all know these dogs will probably not have any health test done, because they cant afford to do them, and almost many of these pups will find their way into a rescue. yes some breeders are in in for the money, and these WILL be the ones that cut corners to save on costs, but I think you will find ethical breeders do not do it for the money simply because of all the health tests, research into the backgrounds of their breeding dogs, back up for the new owners, extensive puppy packs, the costs of showing /working their dogs to ensure they are of quality.

Mo
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
There's a lot of them out there Louise, the Mal breeder has no interest because the dog has no tail.
As has been stated I doubt this is the issue, any breeder worth their salt would take back any dog they bred (including ones that do not meet the breed standard). I wouldn't be suprised if the 'breeder' in this particular situation is far from being an ethical breeder.

I do think that there are a lot of breeders out there who are simply in it for the money. Certainly in our breed reputable breeders are somewhat in the minority, you only need to look at a copy of the BRS to see this.

My standard for an ethical breeder is somewhat higher than others but I do think there are only a small fraction who aren't in it for the money (Mo being one of them )
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Well the breeder of my new puppy, Roodee-he comes home tomorrow doesn't show her bitches, but they are fully health tested & the dogs they are bred to are quite successful show dogs(but not champions-type, soundness, temperament & health are far more important that championships)

I know that Janet will not have made any money from the litter as she is only selling one(Roodee to me & my friend)& sadly lost one despite excellent veterinary care.

The sort of breeder who is in it for the money, doesn't bother with health testing or does the health testing & then breeds from the dogs that have got results worse that the recommended level(like breeding from a dog/bitch with an elbow score above 1). They breed to sell on the whole, although some do so to make money & have a free puppy. Then there are the pet breeders, puppy farmers etc as well
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 08:23 PM
I am sure there are a fair few breeders who breed purely to make money or a living. There will certainly be some who breed when they need a new pup themselves and to further their lines. Then you get the puppy farmers, misguided pet owners breeding their bitch to the dog next door etc etc.

I don't actually have any problem with a breeder who makes some money from breeding dogs, so long as the dogs are health tested, of good type and temperament and that they choose suitable homes for the puppies and also offer life-time back up and will take any pup back they bred at any time during the dog's life.

It is the breeder who churns pups out left, right and centre, from untested parents and couldn't give two hoots where their pups go and refuse to take them back that I can't stand.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 08:15 AM
...The reason this person gave was that once a puppy is sold and the new owners have had it for a few months or even a year and they've lost control of it, the breeder does'nt want a nutter of a dog coming back and upsetting the rest of the dogs the breeder has kennelled.

Most of the members at the meeting agreed with this statement, and most of them are breeders.

I agree that's very sad. I only know Belgian Shep breeders and the ones I know are basically caring and would definitely want to take their pups back if there was a problem even years later.

I know this has actually happened so it's not just words, and also one of them I know helps with BSD rescue and looks after the odd foster dog when she has space.

I think this is ideal. I can' t bear the idea of breeders simply not caring what happens to a pup they, after all, brought into the world ... in fact it makes me cross!

Wys
x
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 09:05 AM
The reason this person gave was that once a puppy is sold and the new owners have had it for a few months or even a year and they've lost control of it, the breeder does'nt want a nutter of a dog coming back and upsetting the rest of the dogs the breeder has kennelled.
Breeders could offer training to pups sold, as I did, I would reduce the amount of problems later on, help ensure the dog stays in the first home, ok its not viable for dogs that go a long distance,

I did mention to the club at one point about starting a network of rottie breeders offering training, that way if you sell a dog out the area, it could go to another rottie breeder offering training in another area,
the idea wasnt taken on though,
phil2009
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-02-2009, 09:12 AM
I agree with what some people have said you can’t tar all breeders with the same brush and if you do it’s not fair. I feel there are more breeders out there that are not in it for the money and love and care for the breed they breed from for the blood line regardless weather there KC registered or whether there showing or even working dogs . And there’s only a hand full that doesn’t care for the breed and are out for the money.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >