Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-06-2012, 01:29 PM

Ivy is a gorgeous 10 week old X pup...

29-06-12 Ivy is a gorgeous, wriggly, happy, little 10 week old crossbreed pup. This girl is as sweet as can be and seems to be interested in everything. She loves people. She will need to be taken to puppy training classes and to be spayed at 6 months of age.

THIS DOG IS AT MANY TEARS ANIMAL RESCUE IN CARMARTHENSHIRE
toobendy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2012, 02:39 PM
how big is she expected to get? my next pup will i hope become my assistance dog but i'd need something labrador size or bigger to be easy height for me to put lead on from my wheelchair & take things from the dog that its picked up for me etc
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by toobendy View Post
how big is she expected to get? my next pup will i hope become my assistance dog but i'd need something labrador size or bigger to be easy height for me to put lead on from my wheelchair & take things from the dog that its picked up for me etc
She should be big if she grows into those ears A very pretty girl
fiwen30
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2012, 06:36 PM
What a beautiful darling! Can anyone hazzard a guess at her cross..?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Isn't she beautiful? Hope she finds her forever home very soon.
toobendy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-06-2012, 12:48 AM
does anyone know if this particular rescue centre would consider a dog being rehomed with someone disabled? i know a friend of mine has been refused by 3 different centres. she finally got a dog & trained him up really well then got him assessed to see if he was suitable to be trained as an assistance dog which he was & he is now her assistance dog. he is very well looked after, very happy & gets to go everywhere with her but the rescue centres who wouldn't consider allowing her to have a dog had refused on the grounds she wouldn't be able to look after a dog properly
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by toobendy View Post
does anyone know if this particular rescue centre would consider a dog being rehomed with someone disabled? i know a friend of mine has been refused by 3 different centres. she finally got a dog & trained him up really well then got him assessed to see if he was suitable to be trained as an assistance dog which he was & he is now her assistance dog. he is very well looked after, very happy & gets to go everywhere with her but the rescue centres who wouldn't consider allowing her to have a dog had refused on the grounds she wouldn't be able to look after a dog properly
Have a look at their rehoming criteria. I know they are super strict about secure gardens and people that work. You'd also have to visit the centre in Wales. They are inundated atm so I'm sure they'd be grateful of a good home.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-06-2012, 09:36 AM
I suppose they could worry about what would happen if the dog would fail as an assistance dog ...
toobendy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-06-2012, 11:03 AM
ah secure garden would be an issue. i can't do anything about the garden either because it's my parents & they want it to look pretty. i just make sure to watch my dogs all the time when they're in the garden. will be great when i finally get my own place, i'll be able to have a secure garden

my youngest dog poppy wasn't meant to be mine i were meant to be looking after her for my dad until he came over from ireland to get her. he decided he didn't want her (one of the many reasons i have nothing to do with him now as i considered this very irresponsible) so i kept her. when she was about 2 years old i started looking into getting her trained up as an assistance dog. i got her on the waiting list for an assessment then hopefully training & in the meantime i did some training myself with her which was all trial & error, i have never trained a dog to take my socks off before unfortunately the charity never found a trainer for her so she got too old because dogs have to be registered as assistance dogs by 4 years old. this was very disappointing as she loves helping me & walking next to the wheelchair so would've loved being able to go everywhere with me

i still love poppy very much, she's cuddled up in my bed with me now. she does do a few things to help me like taking slippers, socks, trousers, gloves off & she loves doing it. she also brings me the post & she runs around the house barking if i fall. she will also go & hassle my mum until she comes upstairs if i need something. mostly though she's a pet dog & just like poppy when i get another dog i will be hopeful that it will have the makings of an assistance dog but if not it will be a much loved & probably rather spoilt pet