Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
boofy71
New Member!
Female 

24-06-2012, 01:58 PM

Jumping through hoops trying to adopt from Many tears

Hi I've been looking at someone's story on your site regarding adopting a dog from Many Tears, and sympathise with the writer. My husband and I have been trying to adopt another small dog (we already have 2 Yorkies, and have recently about 2 months ago had our 18yr old miniature longhaired dachshund put to sleep). We took our dogs Molly 13yrs old and Kim (a male) 10yrs old to visit the dog and they all got on wonderfully as if they had been together for years. Later that day a Home Checker arrived and pulled our gardens to pieces even though I have dogs and have never had a dog escape. However, we did various things including putting 3ft wire with posts on top of the front wall which is about 6ft high off of the pavement and stiff wire at the base of the gates, although the space at the deepest under the gates is only 3" the fosterer came round and suggested more security, as the stiff wire under our double gates wasn't strong enough. She suggested we adopt one of her other dogs a Yorkie which isn't such an escape artist. We have had another thought to have a 'hump' of tarmac stretching from one side of the drive to the other on the inside of our double gates this way there is no way the dog could escape, I phoned spoke to the fosterer this morning and said this is the new idea and could she think about it and let me know today what she thought so now waiting to see what she says.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-06-2012, 02:05 PM
What type of dog are trying to adopt?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2012, 02:06 PM
From personal experience, if they're that insistant on the security of the place, chances are they've experienced this dog's persistance/ingenuity firsthand! Casper's rescue was very, very insistant on 6' fencing. I tried to get them to go into details about any other solution that might be feasible, as at the time the garden of the house was at least 60' wide, probably 80' long and went in a U-shape all around the house. Not only was 6' fencing going to have been a huge cost but would have totally spoiled the look of the house (a country cottage in the midst of acres of farmland) and my mum (who I rented the house from) wasn't keen on the idea. The rescue just kept saying 6' was their rule, but sent a homechecker around.
We managed to come to a compromise of having a 'dog garden' come off the back of the house, about 40' long and entirely 6' fencing. I wasn't given the go-ahead to bring Casper home (despite, like you, having met him) until they knew the fencing was in place so I had a second homecheck once I'd bought it all and had it installed.
It was only about a week or two after I got him that he jumped the fencing! He seemed to know exactly what he was doing, it wasn't just a fluke, I caught him attempting it a second time and he just went from stationary to throwing himself up and over the fence in seconds. Very agile for a normally clumsy oaf We had to further secure it by putting a 1' incline at an angle, into the garden. I never had the rescue confirm it but I get the feeling from their insistance from the start that they knew this could be an issue with Casper and, while not wanting to put me off, wanted to ensure he would be secure.
The fosterer will have firsthand experience of this dog and there may be good reason for it.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Sound like they know the dog pretty well and maybe he is notorious proven escape artist? you do get them, had one in rescue myself escaped escaped onto roof then jumped into garden
boofy71
New Member!
Female 

24-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Thanks for all your comments, the dog I'm trying to adopt is another miniature longhaired dachshund, she's been with the fosterer for about 3 weeks, but I must add that my previous miniature dachshund never escaped. I've spent the day pushing myself into shrubbering and making sure all secure, my neighbour has been adding posts to fencing to make sure it's really tight. Tomorrow we're purchasing some tarmac to put a 'hump' across the drive on the inside so the dacy can't squeeze under the 3" gap one side. Will email photo's to Many Tears later as requested of added security. Keep fingers & everything else crossed. xx
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Go somewhere else. I would.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2012, 05:30 PM
The dog has the right to a great home---if that involves jumping through hoops then that is good. Well done you for making the effort.

They obviously know the dog is a real escape artist and want to ensure it's safety.

Be nice to see photos of your dogs---and maybe of the new one if they approve you.

rune
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Our little cross is from Manytears and the home checker was very thorough ...
We also spent the weekend before in the shrubs patching any holes we came across ...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2012, 05:56 PM
I put new fence panels in for Daisy.
And built a run and kennel for Raz.
You do what you have to.
boofy71
New Member!
Female 

24-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Hi All

You've all been so kind with your replies. I have been looking for several months for a miniature longhaired or wirehaired dachshund and at last found this little 6yr old girl and to top it she has the name of my life long friend Kay who died a couple of years ago, I thought it was fate, but I'm beginning to wonder. I have phoned the fosterer several times today and left messages but so far a strong NO REPLY. I will post photo's of my little ones but not sure how to yet. I'll get there in the end.
Sandra xxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >