Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
'tis true, as mad as it sounds. I know, because many years ago I ran over and killed a cat. I was devastated, it was horrible. It was in a country area on a narrow lane in West Sussex where they have those high banks so no chance of swerving. Luckily, the nearest house I banged on was the owner of the cat, so I could break the dreadful news to him rather than he find the dead cat on the road. It was after this incident that I learned the law places no relevance on the life of a cat.

I even brake for butterflies if I am going slow enough to see them ... much to the annoyance of my hubby
I think you misunderstood Gnasher when I said wot......

I meant Why have you picked up my quote all I said to Zoe was I am sorry I am sure things will sort soon............

Nothing in my answer warranted you to pick it up and answer what you did......the word WOT......meant I don;t understand why you picked on it.

Sorry but to be honest I think you were out of order as your answers had nothing to do with what I said.

as for what you do when driving I never enquired neither did I enquire to anyone else.

When someone answers Sorry etc., I think you should read their comment before quoting them and making no sense
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I think you misunderstood Gnasher when I said wot......

I meant Why have you picked up my quote all I said to Zoe was I am sorry I am sure things will sort soon............

Nothing in my answer warranted you to pick it up and answer what you did......the word WOT......meant I don;t understand why you picked on it.

Sorry but to be honest I think you were out of order as your answers had nothing to do with what I said.

as for what you do when driving I never enquired neither did I enquire to anyone else.

When someone answers Sorry etc., I think you should read their comment before quoting them and making no sense
So sorry, I didn't realise you were a Site Moderator !!

Pardon me for breathing - I did not realise that forum members are not allowed to answer certain posts.

Pardon me also for misinterpreting your Wot !! I thought you were referring to the Law ... which in this case is an ass, because as much as I am not particularly keen on cats because of the havoc they wreak on the songbird population, I would never, ever not swerve or brake to avoid one on the road - in common with the rest of the population.

aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2010, 02:34 PM

Pardon me for breathing - I did not realise that forum members are not allowed to answer certain posts.

Pardon me also for misinterpreting your Wot !! I thought you were referring to the Law ... which in this case is an ass, because as much as I am not particularly keen on cats because of the havoc they wreak on the songbird population, I would never, ever not swerve or brake to avoid one on the road - in common with the rest of the population.

I don't believe that any member is not allowed to answer any post but if you are going to then it should be relevent and an answer to what the op has said. Not just be randomly quoted. I get that you are not keen on cats and hold no value to their lives however it would be nice if, even though this is a dog forum, people would remember that some members hold their cats in the same esteem as they do their dogs and find the suggestion that the pet they have had for many years is worthless quite offensive.

Apologies to whoever this offends but it is my own personal opinion, I love cats and dogs equally!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 04:49 PM
Gnasher all I put was the below.....

Sorry to hear this hun, can not be easy for you both.
The only comfort is that it will get better I am sure and this terrible time will be behind you both xxxxxxxxxx Hugs xxxxxx
You picked THIS quote and then put this.........
This is just ridiculous and makes my blood boil. Cats have no rights!! If you swerve to avoid a cat on the road, and in doing so you cause an accident, you will be prosecuted. You are allowed to swerve for a dog though. That is how much importance the law places on a cat's life. I am so sorry you are having this **** at the moment, please don't worry, I am absolutely sure the police will take no action.
which has NO relevence on what I wrote....which is why I asked WOT as I didn't understand why you picked me out to answer.....as All can see nothing I wrote warranted it....

And then this

Well if thats your best....thank you for aplogising.....I accept it, and NO I am not a Moderator....just wondered what spurded you reply to a innocent sympathy post
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
I don't believe that any member is not allowed to answer any post but if you are going to then it should be relevent and an answer to what the op has said. Not just be randomly quoted. I get that you are not keen on cats and hold no value to their lives however it would be nice if, even though this is a dog forum, people would remember that some members hold their cats in the same esteem as they do their dogs and find the suggestion that the pet they have had for many years is worthless quite offensive.

Apologies to whoever this offends but it is my own personal opinion, I love cats and dogs equally!
totally agree I have 8 cats as well as 2 dogs and I love all of them equally, apart from my oldest cat Xena, she is my favourite out of all my animals, I would be beyond devastated if this has happened to one of my cats.Having said that one of my cats went into a n'bours garden and was savaged by her dog my n'bour stopped the attack and shouted to us to tell us what had happened we got Emily the cat and took her straight to the emergency vets she was operated on and it was touch and go, cost us a fortune , but she survived, as she had gone into a n'bours garden and was attacked there we didn't in any way blame the n'bours dog, how could we, in fact my partner often walks our dogs with that n'bour and her dogs and they get on really well, it would be different if the dog had come into our garden and attacked one of our cats though.I guess with the cat being killed though no one wanted this to happen and it was a tragic accident it will take the owners of the cat a while to put it in perspective,it must have been horrifying for them to witness it as well so they may take a while to be able to move on from it.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 11:38 AM
As a dog & cat owner, my sympathies to all concerned ~ it must have been horrifying for the cat owners & devastating for the dog owners too. But it was an unfortunate accident, nothing more.

I would like to ask people who are more au fait with the legal position though, what exactly can the cat owners sue the dog owners for? I understand that there may be a legal offence in that the dog was out of control & was effectively "trespassing" in the cat owners' garden but surely if this is against the law, it's up to the CPS to decide whether to prosecute or not. It's not up to the cat owners, they will just be asked for evidence as witnesses. And if found guilty, the dog owners may face a fine, depending on what penalty the law imposes but any fine would not go to the cat owners.

If the cat owners bring a private prosecution for financial recompense through the Courts (or Small Claims Court), what exactly can they claim for? The value of the cat? Unless a pedigree, this is not likely to be very much. There would be no vets' fees if the cat was killed. Burial or cremation fees? They would have to have incurred these anyway when their cat eventually died.

I'm not sure that the Small Claims Court is able to award damages for something like "shock" or "distress" at witnessing the death of their cat & any ongoing emotional problems the cat owners claim they are suffering from would need medical evidence to back it up.

I'm sure the insurance company will know where they stand legally & I can't see them paying out to the cat owners unless they have to.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post

I absolutely never said I do not hold any value to a cat's life. I merely said I dislike the fact that they devastate the song bird population. For this reason, I would never have a cat myself, but my daughter has one and she is a dear creature and I am very fond of her. She doesn't go out, she is a house cat, so therefore my birds are safe when she comes to stay.

What I DID say is that the LAW does not hold cats in as high regard as dogs - because if you swerve to avoid a dog and by doing so cause an accident, you will not be held responsible, but if you do the same thing for a cat, you will be held responsible. I cannot understand the logic in this - personally, I think if you swerve to avoid ANY animal, and cause an accident by doing so, these are mitigating circumstances. It is human nature not to want to hit any animal ... not least of which your car could be seriously damaged ... but most people would be unwilling to purposely run over any living creature.

I am sorry if you thought my post was irrelevant. I was actually trying to comfort the OP by telling her that the police would be unlikely to prosecute her re her dog as the law does not seem to hold a cat's life in high esteem.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Gnasher all I put was the below.....

You picked THIS quote and then put this.........

which has NO relevence on what I wrote....which is why I asked WOT as I didn't understand why you picked me out to answer.....as All can see nothing I wrote warranted it....

And then this

Well if thats your best....thank you for aplogising.....I accept it, and NO I am not a Moderator....just wondered what spurded you reply to a innocent sympathy post
"spurded" ? WOT !!! does that mean !!

elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 05:20 PM
"spurded" ? WOT !!! does that mean !!

Oh for God's sake!, lets not all get personal, that was obviously a typo and you know damn well what Steph means.
Stop trying to wind members up
Jackpot
New Member!
Female 

08-02-2010, 05:24 PM
I absolutely never said I do not hold any value to a cat's life. I merely said I dislike the fact that they devastate the song bird population. For this reason, I would never have a cat myself, but my daughter has one and she is a dear creature and I am very fond of her. She doesn't go out, she is a house cat, so therefore my birds are safe when she comes to stay.

I'm always bemused by people using cats cats being so bad for the bird population as an excuse to dislike them. While cats are rather bad at killing birds I must admit, the biggest negative effect on all widllife is caused by humans as they've destroyed their entire habitat, which is a far worse thing than any damage that a cat can do. Do you dislike yourself as well?
Page 10 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >