Female 

27-09-2013, 07:27 AM
Thanks Pat, that's very helpful.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2013, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Picasa is a web-based photo storage site so can be accessed from anywhere as long as you can access your PC from wherever you are.

I use it to store all my photos, both those I have taken and those sent to me, and if I want to post them on to someone via email or onto Dogsey, it is easy enough to do.

As I have two external back-up drives, one of which backs up everything automatically at 12 noon each day, the other I manually back up maybe every two or three days, I have never had any problem with Picasa.

Any special photos that I do not want to lose in the unlikely event of my hard drive packing up plus both external hard drives, I save on Dropbox.

I have no idea about iCloud, sorry.
I'm a bit confused by what you are saying about Picasa Malka and assume you mean Picasa3 (and not the web albums as you don't use Picasa Web Albums.)

Here's my understanding of it.
Picasa Web Albums works as you say above. You can access your photos on it from anywhere by logging on. And they are stored on there.

But Picasa3 (I believe latest version is 3.9) does not store photos , it just scans your computer and shows you the photos in the folders that you have set up to scan.

It is an organising and editing programme. The photos are STORED on your computer.

I find it damned difficult to find anything in Picasa these days. And photos often take a long time to appear in there before I can 'upload' them to the web.

I am uploading photos to the web every day for my job to get them to appear on the website. These days I don't bother to go straight to Picasa I right click the photo on my pc and select 'open with Picasa photo viewer' when it appears I click UPLOAD and it goes straight to my Picasa Web Albums either into the drop box or an album of my choosing or it will just make a new album with today's date as the title.

I should add really that Google photos is sort of replacing Picasa Web Albums - but I'm sticking with the web albums for now.

Used to use Photobucket years ago but don't like that much now either lol! I am in fact looking into something different.

Hope I haven't made this too complicated - I didn't want you to think just using Picasa3 would save you storage space on your pc.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Actually I just looked for you and Picasa Resources put it much better than I have! Here you go ....

Does Picasa store photo's? -> NO!
Picasa is just a photo editing program that scans and indexes photo and video files that are already in folders on your computer's hard drive disk (i.e. "My Pictures") or your desktop, or anywhere else you place photos and videos. Any photos or videos you see "in" Picasa are the exact same photos and videos that any other program on your computer can see and use.

You control where Picasa looks for photos and videos on your computer by going to the menu Tools > Folder Manager and selecting folders to "scans always." Picasa displays those photos and videos and applies any edits that you make from within Picasa.

Picasa does NOT make its own copies of your photos!

When you install Picasa on your computer, it scans your computer's hard drive to find all applicable photo files. It then displays your photos to you. Picasa does not add, move, copy, delete, archive, back up, upload your photos to the Internet, or do anything else with your photos (other than locating them and remembering where they are) unless you specifically tell it to.

Picaca NEVER moves your stuff around automatically. When you install Picasa, it FINDS your photos. It leaves them right where they were on your computer, and it presents them to you for organization, editing, and sharing. It doesn't "convert" them into anything. They remain in the exact same folders on your disk that they've always been in.

Picasa shows you a "flat" view of the folders (by default) in its folder list. That's just a VIEW of the folders. Nothing on your disk has been changed.
You can view the more normal tree view of the folders by clicking View > Folder List > Tree View. Again, nothing is being moved around when you do this. The photos themselves always remain right where they were on your disk before you ever installed Picasa.

Since Picasa does not physically store your photos, if you delete a photo from a folder while using Picasa, the photo will be deleted from your computer.

Picasa is always working directly with the photos on your disk. Once the photo has been deleted from your computer, Picasa will no longer be able to show you the picture.

If you delete a photo from a folder using Picasa, it's exactly like deleting the photo from the folder using Windows Explorer.

Sometimes, people make a really bad assumption that Picasa has somehow created its own new copies of all the photos. So they delete everything they see in Picasa. What they're doing at that point is really deleting the real, original photos from their real folders on their disk. That's a HUGE mistake. Try a photo recovery program to get your photos back - some programs are listed here (the link will take you further down this page. Please come back up and continue reading where you left off).
I view it as something that will show you ALL the photos on your pc, wherever they are, not just those in your 'my pictures' directory or folders you've created in there. Which is just why I don't like it very much any more! Plus the changes made when Google + started taking over the world. I quickly found out how to NOT use Google + and am looking into various things right now. But as my job is changing at the mo I am hanging fire in case they are going to be using summat like Drop Box in which case it will make sense for me to use that too.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-09-2013, 08:02 AM
Yes, I mean Picasa 3, not Picasa Web Albums. But then I do not have thousands of photos to store and have more than enough storage space on my PC for my needs. I just open Picasa 3 and all my photos instantly come up.

I take photos with a camera, not a mobile phone, connect it to my computer and all photos are automatically added to Picasa - either under a heading of my choice or in date order, depending on how I want them. For the number of photos I take or wish to store, it is no problem.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2013, 08:39 AM
Hi Malka. Just really trying to correct you thinking it was an online web based storage site as you'd stated. Especially if you use it as you might be thinking it has your photos 'safe somewhere'. It doesn't (as above).

You saying this
As Picasa is a part of Google it is web-based, so as long as you are able to get into your PC account via another computer, you will be able to find them

Again - not so I think you are confusing it with Picasa Web Albums (which you don't use) but I think a lot of people are confused by Picasa/Picasa Web.

The link to Picasa site gives all the correct information. I am just interested in Lucky Star getting correct information. No point in her downloading a bit of software onto her machine if it isn't what she thought or was told it was. And not what she is looking for anyway. The fact that it suits you is neither here nor there - it was you thinking it was web based storage

She is looking for
best free storage for safely storing digital photos? Not linked to your own computer but somewhere you can safely download all your photographs and access from any computer.
Picasa doesn't fit that description. It will only show photos that ARE on her computer - if any vanish or are deleted it will not show them. It doesn't keep anything 'safe' which is what she is seeking. All her photos will still be on her own computer Picasa will just organise and display them (eventually!) and allow her to edit them from there.

And LuckyStar says 'download' but I am sure she means somewhere you can 'upload' them to. Lots of people confuse download with upload!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Argh Pat - yes, I mean upload. (See, even basic pc 'language' is over my head!) I want to upload them to somewhere safe so that if my pc dies I can get my photos from any pc. So Picasa web albums would do this.

That's a really good explanation Pat, thank you! I didn't realise there were 'two' Picasa's. I remember looking for my photos on Picasa on a new pc and they weren't there. I thought I'd done something wrong and not saved them or something but now I realise it was because it was PC based so not on my new pc!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Nowt to stop you signing up to Picasa Web Albums free. Then you can just 'upload' all those from your pc that you want to keep for posterity you can just drag and drop them in there from your picture folders and you can have separate folders (but not sub-folders) and all that.

You can set the security level on each individual folder for who you want to be able to see them. Just you, anyone who has the link, the public at large!

What I do like about Picasa Web Albums is that my eldest son and some of my good pals are on there too and I get alerts if they add new pics to their albums and same for them with mine.

Or you can just email them a link to a particular album. Sure saves attaching photos in emails.

I am looking for a new laptop in the next few weeks. Once I've got one I will do some SERIOUS looking into the best easiest web albums and online storage stuff and let you know what I think. But no harm in you downloading Picasa and playing about with it in the meantime.

I might even jut keep Picasa on for work related images and use something else for private stuff. Most new applications will import stuff etc. Trouble is I've got far too many photos - they were in the tens of thousands before I took loads off my pc. And the thought of even having a look at 'tidying them up' is daunting!

I will be with the puter guru Martin for 2 wks and will be picking his brains about this too.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

27-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Thanks Pat, and sorry if I mis-understood you. I have less than one thousand photos on Picasa 3 and they are all copied onto both my external hard drives. I do not use Picasa Web Albums as they would, from what I understand, have to be on a specific Google account. As I have a number of different Google accounts [I keep separate accounts for separate things], I do not want to tie my photos up with any particular one.

For me, as a basic user of photographs and storage of same, Picasa 3 does what I need. For someone who takes and needs to keep thousands of photographs - a professional photographer or web designer, obviously they would need far more than I do.

I apologise for confusing Picasa 3 and Picasa Web Albums.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Thanks Pat, and sorry if I mis-understood you. I have less than one thousand photos on Picasa 3 and they are all copied onto both my external hard drives. I do not use Picasa Web Albums as they would, from what I understand, have to be on a specific Google account. As I have a number of different Google accounts [I keep separate accounts for separate things], I do not want to tie my photos up with any particular one.

For me, as a basic user of photographs and storage of same, Picasa 3 does what I need. For someone who takes and needs to keep thousands of photographs - a professional photographer or web designer, obviously they would need far more than I do.

I apologise for confusing Picasa 3 and Picasa Web Albums.
No apology needed just didn't want LuckyStar to take you at your word about it being Web Based Storage. It's just a programe you put on your computer to manage and edit photographs (there are many similar).

I manage all my thousands of photos, my online remote working job decades of documents and nearly 20 years on the net with ONE email address and ONE Google account!

Why you'd need lots I cannot think. No wonder you get confused about Google stuff!

*I'm not sure now if you actually MEAN lots of 'Google' accounts or just lots of different Googlemail email accounts. I know you've said before you use a lot of different email addresses.

I wouldnt' touch Hotmail or Yahoo with a bargepole and never used Outlook Express as it is so prone to being buggy and haven't even set up the Outlook email on this laptop!

I like simple and easy to manage where possible. I use FOLDERS in my Gmail account to organise stuff.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

27-09-2013, 10:41 AM
I mean I use a few different Gmail addresses so that I can keep things separate. One is only for the Epi List [which is email based so email addresses are shown], one for an Israeli food-specific list, also email based, two for orders - each one being for online orders from different companies, and a couple of "spare" for odd queries to different web sites.

It helps me keep everything separate and under control, without mixing things up. As I use Firefox as my browser the Add-on X-Notifier [previously known WebMail Notifier] means that I am alerted to any incoming emails from any of my Gmail addresses, plus Hotmail and Yahoo if I ever use them. My private IP email address and my own Domain email address are not for general use - only for private/personal use, and are only accessible via Thunderbird.

As I have only had and used a computer since 2005, and was never taught how to use a computer [when Effie built my first one, brought it round and set it up, I even had to ask him how to switch the thing on! ] I am obviously not expert enough to manage with just one email address and one Google account.

I do what is the easiest for me.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >