Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
My OH refers to "it" when he is referring to someone's dog. It grates on my nerves too. Mind you, it grates on my nerves when he refers to our things as 'his' too. GRRR
I think referring to someone else's dog as "it" is a bit different to referring that way to your own, as you may not have established a relationship with that dog, nor know its gender or name at that point.

However I try not to call a dog "it" to the owner , it's more something I would do if referring to an unknown dog, to a friend i.e "I saw a spaniel today and it was doing a, b or c".
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 11:10 PM
If I know the dog's sex I refer to 'it' as he or she. I think OH has once or twice referred to our dogs as it too. When speaking to someone that does not know them. I find it a very detached way of speaking.

But then he is more detached about stuff in general.
A vet I know refers to patients by name and gender when they are concious, but as "it" once anaesthetised and operating, when the vet want to be more objective and clinical, to focus on the surgery.

Once the operation is finished they become personalities again.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 11:20 PM
I sometimes refer to my animals in a tounge in cheek manner as 'it' like when i'm really obviously joking, when someone who knows me (and knows i adore my dogs) asks how Sweep is and i'll joking say 'oh it's awful.' But it's very very tongue in cheek and really obviously so. I would obviously refer to them both as 'him' if i was approached and asked about them.

I hate people referring to their dogs as their children, or saying they are their dogs mother. It's a bit irrational, but it weirds me out a bit haha
Mackie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-04-2012, 11:32 PM
"It's grown hasn't it" and reply yes IT has grown. But then again, they might not know the sex
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
A vet I know refers to patients by name and gender when they are concious, but as "it" once anaesthetised and operating, when the vet want to be more objective and clinical, to focus on the surgery.

Once the operation is finished they become personalities again.
Have you ever considered marriage guidance counselling as a career? You would be very good at it.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 11:57 PM
Have you ever considered marriage guidance counselling as a career? You would be very good at it.
Thank you

The vet hadn't noticed he was doing it himself until I pointed it out. It was something he did subconciously but I think it makes a perfectly sensible approach when you think about it
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
Thank you

The vet hadn't noticed he was doing it himself until I pointed it out. It was something he did subconciously but I think it makes a perfectly sensible approach when you think about it
I agree. Doing a job like that he would need to be able to keep the emotion out of it to be effective.

I could never work at a vets. Not even as a receptionist. My bladder is too close to my eyes.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 07:18 AM
I would never call any of my lot "it" sometimes I call them a lot of other things thats for sure but never it.
Even if there is a dig I dont know and I am chating to the owner I will say he? err she? is lovely/ a good dog etc.
On the farm we have loads of animals and not one of them is an it
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 07:24 AM
I know a couple of people who call their dog "it" occasionally, and like you I must admit I don't really like it.

However for them it seems to be a kind of affectionate way of referring to their dog. Can't quite explain the way it's said, but it's not in an unpleasant manner.

Would not refer to my dog like that though

Wys
x
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2012, 07:29 AM
It refers to an inanimate object. I hate it if someone refers to my dogs as IT.

A woman with a toddler was once talking to my dogs and she asked me 'does IT eat a lot' so I replied politely and then nodded towards her child and said 'how old is IT?'

Don't think she liked that.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >