View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Tougher sentences.....and suspension of any state benefits.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
like the poor woman with the disabled child who took her own life after years of police not bothering.
Yes, that too, now I see that there's to be some sort of enquiry, for Gods sake what are they going to talk about . She phoned up 33 times and 33 times no one attended. Even a hoody could understand that surely
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Yes, that too, now I see that there's to be some sort of enquiry, for Gods sake what are they going to talk about . She phoned up 33 times and 33 times no one attended. Even a hoody could understand that surely
I've got a log of over 20 incidents with youths harassing me & my dog, and police doing nothing. I can totally understand that woman and her frustration. But if the dog bit one of these youths that have been harassing us for over a year, it'll be DDA and put-to-sleep. Like I said, a law on the dogs' side about 3rd party harassment would be useful.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-10-2009, 12:12 AM
Dog fighting-related calls to the RSPCA had risen 12-fold...
I have the same questions as I asked about the BBC programme My Weapon is a Dog. Where is the evidence? Where is the rise in convictions or even arrests for these offences? These reported fights happened in public. Why does the report, like the programme, rely on that weakest of indication 'calls' or 'reports'?

I recently attended a meeting in South London prompted by a large number of 'reports' of dog abuse and incidents of youths using playground equipment to train their dogs to fight. So serious was the issue that residents were asked to discuss solutions with the local authority dog warden, a Met. Status Dog Unit Dog Legislation Officer and the local Met. Safer Neighbourhood Team.

That's pretty serious, right? I mean, that's a sign that this area has a problem, right?

Nope.

Turns out the 'problem' that this area had was one busybody who either doesn't like dogs or doesn't like her neighbours. True, the SNT did speak of youths drinking in the playground at night and true one of the swings had been chewed a bit by a dog with a small bite (looked JRT size) but the fifteen - twenty residents who attended, average age 60years+, were unanimous in two things:

1. that they knew who was making the repeated complaints (about them as often as the kids) and

2. that there was no 'rolling' or serious dog issues in their park. One resident told me that he had walked his dog every day for 37 years and never seen a fight.

Yet this total non-event made the local press in alarmist tones and fearful warnings and doubtless will be included in the 'increased reports' we hear of status dogs, weapon dogs, and dog-abusing hoodies.

It seems to me that the whole 'reports' business hinges on what sort of report is being made. If it's a report about gangs of kids without a dog terrorising a single parent and her disabled kids then it doesn't even get logged (until she gives up and kills herself and child). But if its a dog-related report it gets a page to itself in the local paper's website even though there is no basis of truth whatsoever. There is MerlinsMum who is subject to regular and frightening harassment by local youths. The police have declined to get involved except this far - they have cautioned her to keep her dog under control.

On the My Weapon is a Dog programme that same RSPCA vet as being shown and quoted today twisted the evidence beyond breaking point to make exactly the same case. There was no firm evidence then and there's none now. I'm sure fights occur but there is nothing I have seen to support this reported rise in severity of the problem.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2009, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
There is MerlinsMum who is subject to regular and frightening harassment by local youths. The police have declined to get involved except this far - they have cautioned her to keep her dog under control.
Thank you John... it's happened twice today, I simply don't know what to do any more apart from not ever going out.

"So if there's someone in your local community who you don't like, looks a bit odd, or is a bit vulnerable, why not get some fun out of baiting their pet dog? Making a dog go mental is soooo funny.... they go mad, barking and growling and wanting to bite you... snarling and trying to chew through their lead... you know the owner won't let it off cos they're too scared it will bite you and be put down! Oh boy, it's so cool.... if you do it well, sometimes the dog gets sooo upset it bites it's own owner!! hahahahaa that's great! yeah pick on them whenever you see them walking down the street, ten times a day if you want, it's great fun and you won't get done by the police! And have your camera phone ready to send it to your mates!! Wooo hoo.!!! Happy days!"
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Thank you John... it's happened twice today, I simply don't know what to do any more apart from not ever going out.
Hang in there M-M. Keep logging the incidents, photograph the offenders if you can, contact your local PSCO and if police don't respond start sending copies of your log to the local paper.

Keep up retraining Merlin to focus on you, as well.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3