Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Junkers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-02-2005, 11:17 PM

cloudy eyes

hi over the last few months i have noticed popeyes eyes getting slightly cloudy well some 1 i know pointed it out a few months ago and i just thought some 1 could tell me a reason for this but iam thinking it might be his age (hes pushing 7 years old)

thanks,

Junkers
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-02-2005, 11:21 PM
there was a post last month along the same lines, not sure if its any help

http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?t=6927
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2005, 07:08 AM
Missed the other post, or can’t remember it, but if it is a sort of bluish look to the centre of the eye it is not unusual for this to happen as the dog gets older. 7 is young but it differs between dogs and never happens to some. Unless it becomes a full-blown cataract then there is no need to do anything, in fact, I doubt there is anything you can do.
akysten
New Member!

09-02-2005, 08:30 PM
Hey! You all are scary! But in reality, it's probably NOT Cataracts!

check out:
http://www.animaleyecare.net/diseases/cataract.htm

Check out the big about Nuclear Sclerosis

This looks to be what my dog has. He's almost 8 years old.
They can tell the difference by shining a light in the dogs eye. If it reflect back GREEN, it's probably just Nuclear Sclerosis, if it come back dark. I suppose you could also take a digital photo with a flash! If you get red eye, or with dogs, green eye, I would think that it's probably just Nuclear Sclerosis.

Apparently, this is much more common than Cataracts. HOWEVER, I am taking my dog in today to make sure. Cloudly lenses COULD be a indication of Glaucoma.. and Cataracts may be caused by Diabetes. Glaucoma will bling, and Diabetes, untreated, could kill. I want to make sure for my peace of mind!

But don't worry about the Nuclear Sclerosis much. They say that there is no major loss in vision.. I'm sure it's a bit cloudy, but not blinding.. they get along just well.

My dog can catch treats out of the air.. so I assume his eyesight is fine.. but may have lost some detail....

Akysten