View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wendy
Dogsey Junior

03-02-2005, 03:45 PM

newborn pups

so one of our Mastiff girls had to go into vets for c-section today,this went well and she came out with the huge amount of two pups,haha,a boy and a girl,the boy is thriving but the girl who is quite a bit smaller than the boy,has a funny breathing kind of like one two three inhale,in a big tummy swelling breath,she has eaten although not as much as the boy,and has pooped,any ideas,or do you just think it may be aneasthetic wearing off of her,not forgetting she only came out of vets about two hours ago,any advise,hints and tips would be wellcome
Wendy
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Congratulations Wendy how lovely, if puppy is eating and evacuating and not crying or in distress I would see how it goes, maybe inhaled too much fluid? . The biggest problem with c/sect is rejection by the bitch because part of the 'imprinting 'has been missed One thing ...when the dam cleans the pups then licks her own teats she is also leaving a chemical trail in her saliva that says' I am mum this is where you come to eat' so if she has not washed the puppies much or is too sore to move, hold her babies under her nose so she can lick before putting on the teat and don't stop her licking her tummy (This is one reason pups won't eat when put on the teat, no saliva trail ) Make sure they are all nice and warm and water within the bitches reach so that she does not have to move far to get it. I will be around later if I can help

EDITED @ 10:30 Thurs

Glad you little one has improved Wendy, let us know how you are getting on and pics would be lovely too sometime
Wendy
Dogsey Junior

03-02-2005, 05:35 PM
thanks for reply minihaha,the girl pup seems to have picked up a bit now,has lasted longer on the teat,and in general looks better,you can almost watch Mastiff pups growing,the dam is not showing any real interest in them,but she is still very drowsy,she does have fresh water nearby,did not want her dinner,understandable,she has been outside to toilet and everything is as it should be,we are feeling quietly smug with ourselves,the rest of this week with them should not be too bad as hubbys off work but from Monday i'm on my own with six adult Mastiffs and the two pups,arghhhhhhhh,i'm sure you know Mastiff mums are quite clumsy,so youdo have to be extra vigilant,ooo sleepless nights here we come,I found your comment about the saliva interesting and will be experimenting with that over next few days,
thanks again for your advise it truly is appreciated
Wendy
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2005, 06:56 PM
My cocker started giving birth, delivered one naturally then the remaining 7 had to be born by c section. All the pups were quiet for the first day, I thought something wrong, but by next morning they were all alert. Mum didn't seem that interested to start either, but that soon changed once the aneasthetic wore off.

Good luck
Wendy
Dogsey Junior

03-02-2005, 07:16 PM
thanks Crazycockers,so far she has really picked up,I think as there are just two pups,you tend to be really looking for something to go wrong,I probably worded that wrong,but you cannot tell the difference between her and her brother now,so am feeling a little bit more able to breathe,and she is waking and feeding for same length of time as him as well,whereas she was really slow only a couple of hours ago,

Wendy