View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2005, 05:39 PM
yes i do maybe 1 every 2 weeks some times a little more often and some times a little less often
rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-02-2005, 01:54 PM
No i too only fast them when they have upset tums. Although i know some breeders do. My theory is i like my grub so my dogs must do too.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2005, 02:29 PM
God if I fasted Woody he would probably eat me when I wasn't looking! As it is he ate 2lbs of raw potatoes last nite and thats after a normal food day!
On Christmas day I thought I'm just gonna keep giving him treats and see if he gets sick of them. In the end I had to stop cos I ran out of treats!!
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2005, 05:22 PM
I fast Ally before a test or a hard training (for the brain I might add)

I think it keeps her to pay more attention to me (and my treats ).
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by CBT
Originally Posted by Archer
Raw meaty bones are a regular part of my dogs diet anyway so I don't see a 'bone' day as a fasting.
well If I had to go all day with just a bone I would think I was fasting but then I like my grub
Ahhhh..but RMB are ribs atc..they have meat on them....just take longer to eat!!!!
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2005, 10:29 AM
we seem to compare our dogs to ourselves. they wouldnt like to be fasted as we wouldnt. they're bodies work differently to ours. if you think about wild dogs (please no one say that our dogs are so far detached from wild dogs that they dont function the same, inside they are still the same, and have the same metabolism)
wild dogs hunt about 3 times a week (if lucky to get a catch). not everyday. some days they have to make do with berrys. this works well for them, it gives the body a chance to digest and settle, in preparation for their next meal. (please read 'give your dog a bone' ian billinghurst)
i fast my dogs once a week, i dont have a set day, i just sometimes dont feed them. sometimes if they have had a particaulary hard day (sometimes we walk for miles) they will sleep from when we get home to the next morning, i onyl feed at night. so they would miss that meal, and then feed the next day. they dont miss it at all, in fact it does them good. p.s. my dogs are not at all overweight, and i feed them a heck of a lot for their size. but they do get a lot of excersise.
again every dog is different, so just cos mine do it, doesnt mean its good for yours. please read into this, its interesting!
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2005, 07:36 PM
if the dog fasts on its own accord fine otherwise why fast them or do you have aday that you do it yourself
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2