View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2004, 03:47 PM
Just been in to our local butcher and asked the price of chicken wings... roughly can get 100 wings for £2.50 which sounds good.

Then he asks what its for and when we reply for our dog, he then says that dogs shouldn't have chicken wings.

He does 2 joint or 3 joint not sure what to go for.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2004, 04:47 PM
If your dog is medium or large then go for 3 joint.
I've been feeding raw for a while now and the dogs not only look better they are also calmer and enjoy their food more.
I think whatever you feed someone will always have an arguement as to why its wrong....so we should just do what suits us and our dogs.
Nikki
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Ok, Teagan has been on the diet for just over a week now...got one or two concerns though, so I hope someone can help!

She had bits of bones in her poo - by bits, I mean about 2-4 cm long - this can't be good for her insides! Any idea why she isn't digesting these? Or should they be there?!

What can I buy, that is as good as, about the same price, but bigger than chicken wings? I have to give her so many of these, and a few crunches, and they have gone!!

Thanks,
Hevvur
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2004, 07:07 PM
The chicken wings are abit worrying as Ian has read some things about them piercing a dog stomach and causing all sorts... and Chester does just that (no chewing just swallows)

I have heard Turkeys necks are good and has more protein than Chicken, and also lambs necks and heart. Stay away from Beef if they have digestive problems and sometimes even when frozen there is a parasite that can eventually kill the dog.

So we are keeping well out the way of Beef... anything else is fair game.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2004, 07:09 PM
Yeah, thats why I am worried about the bones in her poo - cos they are sharp when they come out (I picked one up in a poop-a-scoop bag, and felt how sharp it was through the bag!).

Are turkey necks as easy to get hold of as chicken wings though?

Teagan has had lamb ribs, she loved those, but they weren't very cheap!
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2004, 07:13 PM
I think archer or lel ?might be the best peoplw to answer that x
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2004, 07:52 PM
Hi
don't worry about the small bits of bone...in time she will 'learn' to digest all the bone....its just cos shes not used to it.
As far as something bigger...try chicken carcasses.If you go to a butchers and ask for 'stock' carcasses they should provide you some cheaply.I get mine free from the local meat market...they have to pay to get them disposed of so are glad to get them taken away for free.
Nikki
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2004, 09:57 PM
When people have said the dog needs raw meaty bones that means things like the lambs necks, and chicken necks but i cannot say because as yet, as we havn't tried them.

Like tink said, chat to Archer or Lel they have been doing it longer... we only started a few days ago ourselves, so cannot really comment on whats best or not

The chicken carcasses i'm not sure on, well not yet anyway... Chester had 2 c/wings tonight without even crunching them just swallowed both whole, now thats got to sting when that comes out.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2004, 10:30 PM
My lot love carcasses and its great to see them have something which takes a bit of effort to eat.They tend to chew them into smaller pieces than with wings etc because they have to use more effort to eat them
Nikki
mitch
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-12-2004, 11:06 PM
Anything that is half meat half bone is classed as rmb.
They should learn to crunch the wings more as they get used to them. Mine used to swallow them whole, Rio still does if she feels threatened by one of the other two, But she usually brings it back and crunches it a bit more before she's satisfied.
Have you tried pigs trotters. Mine love them, and it takes them a lot longer to get through them. I've known them to have them for half an hour or more. I only give mine a trotter once a week or sometime only once a fortnight.

Mitch
Page 5 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »