Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2004, 02:12 PM

Raw Feeding

Well, i've decided to put Teagan onto the raw food. Not only is it better for them, quite a few people have mentioned it might help with her skin (and she does need help!).

I've bought some Prize Choice minced meats, and some chicken wings.
I worked on the veggie puree yesterday, and have read about 100 web pages, but i'm still confused!

Wonder if a few of you could help with a few lingering questions i've got!

How much meat & veg do you give your dog per day? (And what breed of dog is it?)

If/when you feed rice or pasta, do you feed it instead of the veg, or aswell as (cutting down on veg and adding rice)?

Do you puree your veg then freeze it, or puree it as you need it?

Any hints or tips...please tell me!

I'll be very greatful for any help!

Heather
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2004, 02:47 PM
I can't help you with the actual diet, but what I can say, is I've seen a dog with a shocking skin problem that didn't seem to want to go. He was fed raw, and now is the picture of health
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2004, 03:18 PM
Jenny, recently changed her indie over to the BARF diet, im sure she will help out when she sees this post
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Little Snorri-dog is one of those very affectionate, "kissy" dogs, but he had very bad breath (actually, he's the most affectionate male dog I've ever met).

He was being fed on commercial canned dogfood (there isn't much in the way of choice up here) and nearly all the local "real" butchers had closed (couldn't conform to new regulations).

Now, one of them has reopened under new management, so we decided to give their minced offcuts a try. Not only do the "Boys" wolf it down fit to choke, but it has destroyed the breath problem and Snorri smells only of healthy dog, which is as it should be. The smell had been coming out through his skin as well - fine now, too.

Both dogs are Border Collies (brothers) aged 6 and 10, about 20 kg (44 lb) each. They get 200 gm of this raw mince a day, with either rice, leftover veg or a very small handful of Pedigree complete. They've been on this for about 3 months; the only effects have been as above, and a tendency towards smellier f*rts!

We pay £1.87 a kilogram, getting in two or three kilos at a time to freeze (this butcher is 15 miles away, so we go only once a week). What is actually in it (i.e. beef, lamb or pork) is variable, but the Boys always scoff the lot!

HTH
Snorri
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2004, 04:17 PM
I believe Lel and Mitch also feed raw....
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Hevvur
mine are on raw- the main reason for changing over was that my eldest dog seemed to have a food sensitivity (feet licking etc). After allergy testing for mites etc we did a food trial to see if it made a difference . It did so changed to Royal Canin hypoallergenic and then when we got pup it was too hard to feed them different foods and to stop them from eating each others leftovers etc and too expensive to feed them both on RC ( at £60 a bag) so tried raw and its been such an improvement :smt023
We still have to watch what we feed the eldest (chicken and eggs seem to set his feet licking off again) but otherwise they are great.

Mitch feeds raw - she feeds a lot of bones /chicken wings etc and is more experienced than me so you might be worth PMing her
mitch
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2004, 10:11 PM
Hi,
I've been feeding my 3 Staffies raw for at least 9 months, and I think they look much better for it.
I like you read things and took advice from people who had more experience.
This is what I learnt.
You should feed adults 2/3% of their body weight per day.
Their diet should consist of about 60% rmb (raw meaty bones) eg chicken wings, necks, basically anything which is have meat half bone.
About 25% should be muscle meat, (just meat alone) eg, mince heart, pork, chicken etc,
About 10% offal eg, tripe, liver, kidney, lung.
And about 5% fruit and veg.
Obviously the 5% veg would be to small to give daily, so is best given in larger portions once or twice a week.
You don't need to stick to these exact portions daily, just even them out over a few weeks, variety is important.
I usually do my veg and raw egg mix (including shell) in large amounts every couple of months, and freeze them in portions to feed all 3 of them one meal. I usually feed it once a week mixed with offal.
They also get tinned fish once a week. I don't feed pasta or rice.
I was told not to mix raw and cooked/dried foods together, as they digest at different rates.
My 3 usually get rmb for breakfast 50/60% of their daily amount. Then on a teatime they get a variety of anything else.

Hope that helps

Mitch
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2004, 10:38 PM
Thanks Mitch
I think it's always good to get other peoples opinions, so you know your not doing anything wrong!

How do you work out 2/3% of their body weight??
I never was good with maths!!
mitch
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2004, 10:52 PM
Same here, Someone worked mine out for me.
Mine is worked out in lb's as I find that easier.
If you weigh your dog, then it's 2% of that, simple
If you put your dogs weight on here, I'm sure some bright spark will help you out.
I would start on 2% then see how they go, if you find he's losing weight give extra untill he stays at a level.
How old is your dog.

Mitch
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2004, 10:56 PM
I got my friend to work it out for me, and 2% is 1.8lbs - so that means she needs about 1.8 - 2lbs meat per day, right?

She's 8 months old
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »