Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2005, 01:01 PM

nibbling dog

Tam is the kind of dog you can think you know everything about, and how his mind works. But then he'll come up with something that will shock you.

2 months ago Tam started nibbling things. Sheets, the sofa, your pants, and almost everything else. He doesn't bite it, but he skates over it, nipping at whatever it is he's at but only with his front teeth. At that point he wasn't bad, but in the last month he's gone mad

When we go to be he jumps up and starts nibbling the bedspread, the sheets, my PYJAMAS!! When he's in the car he'll lean into the front from the back and nibble our coats. When we're on the sofa he'll nibble the sofa, the throw, our clothes, the pillow

I've really thought about why he does this but I can't for the life of me come up with a reason!! He never nibbles himself! Or the other 2 dogs. I should probably have squished this when it started but I thought it was a phase

I've tried telling him off didn't work. Tried distracting him with food or toys and they work but when we settle he goes right back to it!! I've even resorted to training discs (I only use them for nicking pillows and excess barking and such, really worked too ) but he'll jump when they clatter then wait a second or two the get right back to work!

Its getting annoying (sorry) , and its not good for him to have this. Any ideas on why he does it and how to stop it?

thanks
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2005, 05:34 PM
How old is Tam?
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-01-2005, 05:51 PM
Could it be a comfort thing?

Star does it to her blankets.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2005, 07:09 PM
If you ever find the answer please let me know because Mollie does it to Duncan and it hurts !
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2005, 08:15 PM
max does this i though it was a comfort thing aswell
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Love bites?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-01-2005, 01:09 AM
Mine do this sometimes, but only to clothes that I am wearing. It has never bothered me much as I have always assumed that it is an affectionate grooming behaviour as I have dogs do it to each other, and to themselves when they have an itch. I am sure that you have taught Tam the 'leave' command. If he does not respond to this perhaps a growl & bared teeth would convince him that you have no need & no wish to be groomed
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2005, 08:35 AM
He knows the leave command, and I use it when I don't have the time to let him. It doesn't bother me so much, only its becoming an obsession with blankets.

Strange thing is, he never does it to my other dogs