View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Fair enough if the complaints have been legally proved and upheld and the KC have access to that information....but if it is just a complaint...then the KC could get into legal difficulties if they start talking about them to potential buyers...it's slander...
mcgregorkh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Yes puppy buyers do have to take some responsibility.
But..... back in the olden days when I bought Khan (all of 3 years ago ) I was only interested in buying a healthy, quality dog for a pet. In my naievety I thought that meant KC registered! None were advertised in my area so I went through a breed club and luckily I did, for their breeding ethics are stricter, if not I could've ended up with a donkey who was vWD affected and have bad hips, yes I would have loved it the same but would it be fair on the dog or my pocket?
This is where the problem lies, the public assume that KC registered means the health checks are done etc, I certainly did I openly admit it, and the KC do nothing to refute this. What makes a puppy a pedigree? Having 2 parents of the same breed that are registered with the KC. No guarantee of quality at all. When I was buying if I asked a breeder if the parents were vWD clear and they said yes they were KC registered I would have accepted that all was ok, I wouldn't have known that it is supposed to say vWD clear on the papers.
A central database with all individual dogs used for breeding, showing the health tests have been done for the relevant breed could be set up and only those dogs pups can be registered, is that so hard to implement? They say they are against unethical breeding yet do nothing to stop these people from registering the pups. No they can't check each individual litter but they should do more and at least state that KC reg puppies are not guaranteed to be ethically bred or health tested parents used. Also they should recommend that people find out about the health issues of their particular breed and how to go about finding out. This one statement put in the press and on the TV would at the very least make the public aware of the truth about KC pups so hopefully they will ask the right questions and unethical breeders won't have the demand so won't supply.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by mcgregorkh View Post
Yes puppy buyers do have to take some responsibility.
But..... back in the olden days when I bought Khan (all of 3 years ago ) I was only interested in buying a healthy, quality dog for a pet. In my naievety I thought that meant KC registered! None were advertised in my area so I went through a breed club and luckily I did, for their breeding ethics are stricter, if not I could've ended up with a donkey who was vWD affected and have bad hips, yes I would have loved it the same but would it be fair on the dog or my pocket?
This is where the problem lies, the public assume that KC registered means the health checks are done etc, I certainly did I openly admit it, and the KC do nothing to refute this. What makes a puppy a pedigree? Having 2 parents of the same breed that are registered with the KC. No guarantee of quality at all. When I was buying if I asked a breeder if the parents were vWD clear and they said yes they were KC registered I would have accepted that all was ok, I wouldn't have known that it is supposed to say vWD clear on the papers.
A central database with all individual dogs used for breeding, showing the health tests have been done for the relevant breed could be set up and only those dogs pups can be registered, is that so hard to implement? They say they are against unethical breeding yet do nothing to stop these people from registering the pups. No they can't check each individual litter but they should do more and at least state that KC reg puppies are not guaranteed to be ethically bred or health tested parents used. Also they should recommend that people find out about the health issues of their particular breed and how to go about finding out. This one statement put in the press and on the TV would at the very least make the public aware of the truth about KC pups so hopefully they will ask the right questions and unethical breeders won't have the demand so won't supply.
That is a massive undertaking. It would need the correct computer programme and a couple of people to set it up and run it full time....it would cost a fortune and who is going to pay for it??? I do agree a central registry for breeding dogs is the only way forward in this country, for a variety of things, but I don't think it is up to the KC to do it, I think it is a government issue.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by joanne8888 View Post
If this campaign works it will close down alot of these puppy farms, a lot of councils at the minute are checking that breeders are licenced and are working with the KC, so the campaign is starting to get its voice heard.......again I can follow my dreams
Good-on-you :smt023 You certainly have my backing. It's disgusting how much money the Kennel Club take yet in reality they do nothing to improve the welfare or guard the well-being of our dogs.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 06:09 PM
The KC do quite a lot in terms of education surely?????
Just look at Crufts and Discover Dogs for a start.........
mcgregorkh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2007, 06:10 PM
I know but it is possible. I know of a lady in dobes who had a list of all dobes and what health checks had been done to each dog and it's vWD status, this however was mainly dependant on people registering their dogs results. I am sure that some people/breed societies would be willing to put in the work and update the results with the KCs backing saying they will not register pups unless the sire and dam are on the lists. If one woman could do it off her own back then I am sure with the KC behind it it would work.
That system would stop unhealthy/unethical breeding of KC registered dogs and the general public would know that KC registered actually meant healthier pups and less of a risk.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
That is a massive undertaking. It would need the correct computer programme and a couple of people to set it up and run it full time....it would cost a fortune and who is going to pay for it??? I do agree a central registry for breeding dogs is the only way forward in this country, for a variety of things, but I don't think it is up to the KC to do it, I think it is a government issue.
The KC already do this, tests that the KC have accepted now go on the dogs record and on an updated database downloadable from the KC site.
Becky
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by mcgregorkh View Post
I know but it is possible. I know of a lady in dobes who had a list of all dobes and what health checks had been done to each dog and it's vWD status, this however was mainly dependant on people registering their dogs results. I am sure that some people/breed societies would be willing to put in the work and update the results with the KCs backing saying they will not register pups unless the sire and dam are on the lists. If one woman could do it off her own back then I am sure with the KC behind it it would work.
That system would stop unhealthy/unethical breeding of KC registered dogs and the general public would know that KC registered actually meant healthier pups and less of a risk.
I agree, I think it is vital that any dog bred should be entered on a central registry and microchipped or tatooed....a bit like a car registration, so the dog is always able to be traced back to owners or the breeder...health tests could also be put onto it.

As I say though I think it is beyond the KCs remit, it's a government issue...it would be a massive and expensive undertaking.

A well run breed club serves the same purpose, as the holder of the litter register would ensure health checks etc are done and would know all the current ethical breeders that breed within the societies breed standards....that's where puppy buyers should be directed, rather than to a list of names on the KC website surely? Perhaps the KC needs to look at ensuring Breed Socieites are well run and honest?
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
Good-on-you :smt023 You certainly have my backing. It's disgusting how much money the Kennel Club take yet in reality they do nothing to improve the welfare or guard the well-being of our dogs.

The KC do the best they can within there area of expertise. They are not a welfare organisation therefore they do not have the power the likes of the RSPCA feo example have. Also as the majority of BYB PF dont register there dogs with the KC, they had no say whatsover.
With regards to money they take in have you any figures to back this up, I know it costs a lot to register your puppies but have you any idea how many staff they have to pay.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
The KC do quite a lot in terms of education surely?????
Just look at Crufts and Discover Dogs for a start.........
How does Crufts educate people ????

Newcomers come to the side of the ring, see a dog they like, then speak to the person that owns it etc How are they to know that BYBs also show their dogs at this level and then fall into their hands by buying a puppy from them, not knowing about the health tests etc ?

Discover dogs only educates people as to what the breed is like, not where people should go or not go for a puppy or what to look for when buying a puppy.

When I went to discover dogs last year, I overheard someone on one of the breed stands that the best place to look for a new puppy, because it was reputable and only had good, purebred dogs on it,,......was Epups/z !!!!

There is no education at either, unless you are lucky enough to talk to the right person from the start !
Page 5 of 15 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »