Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 04:57 PM

Getting her to 'stretch out'

Takara doesn't stand quite stretched enough... I've been told I need to get her to stretch her legs out backwards more because her bum goes up due to her keeping her legs quite close under her:

So I need to stand in front of her and get her to stretch out more but I can't get her to do it. I've tried moving forward and then leaning back to get her into position (as they're not stacked), but as soon as I lean back to get her to move towards me, her back legs move to.

I've even tried having my mum hold her back legs out, while I call her forward but she still manages to move them back to being under her!!

What else can I do?
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 05:05 PM
One thing that springs to mind - does she look stretched perfectly when she is out exercising and has perhaps seen something of interest?

The reason I'm asking is that show dogs will only stand in a position if it's comfortable for them so, if she is not happy with the way you have put her, she will change her stance to something that is more comfortable for her.

If she looks great at other times, (you know the thing - if only I had my camera etc), then she is possibly just playing you up. However, if she never does fully extend to how you would like her it could be due to a number of other reasons. (Please don't think I'm saying there is something wrong with her construction, it could be anything that causes her to tuck up).

Just an idea, others have probably got some much better explanations.

Sheree x
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Thanks Sheree,

No, she does, if she sees something interesting she stands like an angel and would 'knock the spots off' other dogs if she were stood in a ring!

Oh well... we'll keep practicing with me putting her feet right (as much as I can) and I'm going to use the clicker to try and train it.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Thanks Sheree,

No, she does, if she sees something interesting she stands like an angel and would 'knock the spots off' other dogs if she were stood in a ring!

Oh well... we'll keep practicing with me putting her feet right (as much as I can) and I'm going to use the clicker to try and train it.
Thats great news, means she's just playing you up then, little monkey
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Wish I could help Lottie - having a stacked breed - guess it taking really slowly i.e. even if she isn't quite in the position reward calmly use command to stay and then build from it???

Can you place her feet initially, command the position and build up moving to the front?

Have seen people in rotties 'back them up' into the position i.e reverse them then pull them forward - does that make sense??? So perhaps that might work?

Wish I could help sorry!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Just practice Lottie. Having a stacked breed also it's not a problem for me, but maybe when practicing place her feet in the correct position and hopefully she'll get the hang of it.

Like I said with mine being a stacked breed I have always put Maddy how I want her and now when she freestands she does stand well as i've 'shown' her how to stand all this time. Even standing still in the park she'll always 'show stand' and seldom stands with her legs directly under her body.

I remember as a pup, every time she was stood still i'd lift her rump with one hand and move her back legs out, or even in the living room i'd be sat on the sofa and put my foot under her tummy and move her back legs out and give the 'stand' command. It might sound daft but it worked, and she'll always stand this way now now when I ask her, and usually when I don't ask her too.

Hope that helps a little, it's so much easier to show than explain!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Have seen people in rotties 'back them up' into the position i.e reverse them then pull them forward - does that make sense??? So perhaps that might work?

Wish I could help sorry!
It does indeed make sense but she won't do it! I back her up like that, but as soon as I pull her forward her back legs come too!

I might be able to shape it because I've found that by saying 'are ya beautiful' in a silly voice, she moves her legs out a little bit, so I might be able to reward that, and then reward it for further stretching...

Sheree - you should've known she was playing me up You met her yesterday, she's definitely the type to play up!!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Looks like she's nearly there. I stack mine when practising and give them a one word command, so in theory they get the hang of it and do it on the command. Deccy hasn't got it, yet I really need a squirrel on the judges table for him to stand correctly unless I just get lucky!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post

Sheree - you should've known she was playing me up You met her yesterday, she's definitely the type to play up!!
Ha ha, yes, how very true, she's a proper little madam, but so adorable
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Deccy View Post
Looks like she's nearly there. I stack mine when practising and give them a one word command, so in theory they get the hang of it and do it on the command. Deccy hasn't got it, yet I really need a squirrel on the judges table for him to stand correctly unless I just get lucky!
Haha! Now there's an idea!! (re. the squirrel)

Thanks Gill, I've been stacking her and saying it, just don't seem to get anywhere, as it's not her doing it...

Sheree - hehe yes she is adorable bless her... she's very perturbed at the presence of my sister's friend right now but can't do a thing about it because she's hurt her foot on her walk and is limping around making a big fuss!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >