Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2010, 11:08 PM

Worried about Bubble - bad leg

Hi guys,

I know I've not been around much lately but I really need some advice.

I'm really worried about Bubble... I'm not one to flap really but this is really concerning me.

I don't really know how long it's been happening but basically Bubble keeps hurting one leg. Sometimes it's just a little yelp and then she limps for a bit and others she really screams.

The other day we were at the park and she had been playing in the river with Takara, as she climbed up the bank she suddenly screamed and then came limping over, I checked her over - nothing stuck in her paw and no visible injury, put her on the lead and a while later she just wanted to chase after Takara again.

Then yesterday she went running into the lounge and I heard the most blood curdling scream, I ran in as did both the other dogs and she was just lashing out and biting anyone who came near so I had to hold onto her and keep the other two away.

She screamed in my arms for a whole 5 minutes before she finally stopped and just laid on me panting, then she limped for a while, not weight bearing and seemed ok again.

I took her to the vets that day as the time at the park wasn't the first time and the vet said she wondered if it was her dodgy dew claw (she pulled one out as a pup and it's grown back flimsy) but she faffed about for a while and couldn't find anything that Bubble was reacting to.

She said to keep her dew claw short in case she'd pulled it and sent us on our way.

Then today I took all three out for a nice walk but was aware I didn't want to walk B too far as I'd realised she has a contact limp now (I hadn't noticed before because she's a gangly puppy and walks funny anyway). After only 10 minutes, we went back to the car because she'd stopped weight bearing - even then though, she'd chase after Takara - still limping, and then stop weight bearing again.

This afternoon she jumped up onto the sofa and hurt it again, she screamed again and at first bit the cushion that was there but then she was just biting anyone near her. I held onto her and she screamed and cried in my arms for another 3 minutes ish, before she stopped, panted for a while and fell asleep in my arms - totally exhausted.

I have already been back to the vets and asked if they can carry out any examinations while she's under GA for her spay next week but I really have no idea what we're looking for.

Has anyone got any ideas? The accidents are becoming more frequent I think and the 'normal' limp (when she's 'ok') is more apparent but not sure if that's because I know about it and am looking for it.

I daren't walk her in case I make it worse and I don't know what to do... even if I ask to be referred to see someone else - who do I ask to see?

It's her right front paw and it seems to be when her wrist is pushed back (in the direction it's meant to go in) but the other is fine and will go further with no reaction from her.

I'm very confused and worried... I'm not sure how long it's been going on but it's been at least a couple of weeks and it's just got gradually worse.

Any advice please?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2010, 06:57 AM
Oh Lottie, I'm so sorry - poor Bubble.....

No advice to give hon, wouldn't like to second guess on this one at all, as it's obviously causing Bubble distress and a lot of pain.

Hope the vet can have a good look at it under GA.

X-rays would be the next step for me

Hugs chick xxx
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2010, 07:47 AM
How scary for you both! I wouldn't know either what it is but wanted to send healing and soothing vibes to Bubble. I'm not sure if dogs get growing pains like kids do? I know my son used to suffer terribly with pains in his legs when he was younger. Hugs to you. xxxx
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Thanks guys.

It's so horrid to hear her when she hurts it and her screams really go through me.

She'll still play on it which is what is worrying me at the moment! Trying to keep movement to a minimum until it's been checked out properly but she doesn't like that idea!

I think it'll have to be lead walks until Monday and try not to let her run around too much at home.

Poor little girl, she doesn't deserve all she goes through
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Sorry to hear about Bubble hun.

It maybe advisable to ask the vet to do Xrays...there are a few things that could of happened, she could have a doggy joint, knee, elbow or lower leg, or she could of torn or strained something the first time and it hasn't healed properally yet which will require time and supervised exercise (which will not be easy with a pup)
But if it were my pup I would ask them to investigate as the snapping and biting cushions etc., shows she is in pain as you well know.
If it is something as simple as the dew claw then its best removed IMO.

Best wishes to you and Bubble hope you get it sorted
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Thanks hun

I really don't believe it's the dew claw. I think the vet was clutching at straws to be honest.

I have already asked the vet if she can do some xrays while Bubble is in on Monday as she'll be under anyway for her spay. Having worked there I know that they don't do xrays under GA as obviously they have to monitor the GA but be out of the room for the xray but perhaps sedate her first? Or after?

If it were the dew claw I would ask her to remove it whilst she was under but I don't believe it is. We've just been for a very short walk and she was limping noticeably on the way back.

I was also thinking torn ligaments or something because there's nothing to feel so doubt it's skeletal. Would x rays show a torn ligament?

She's definitely in a lot of pain when she hurts it - the rest of the time it's uncomfortable but it doesn't stop her doing things, which is why she keeps bloody hurting it!

I'm keeping her walks short and on the lead until she hopefully has some investigations on Monday and trying not to let her mess about too much in the garden and around the house but you know puppies!!
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2010, 09:35 AM
EDITED: Duuuhh just read it's her front paw! But I shall leave my post below just in case anybody might find it some use

Yes I would get her x-rayed. Sounds like she might have a luxating patella. Or she may just have a loose knee cap rather than full on luxation. Have a read here http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+2084&aid=457 it does say that it mainly affects older dogs, but that's actually not true. But that article may give you some information. A luxating patella can be diagnosed by manipulating the leg, and doesn't need an x-ray. So maybe mention this to your vet when you take her in next.

When the knee cap slips out of place, this is what makes the dog scream. The quadriceps then hold the knee cap in the wrong position until they relax again and lengthen. This may be the reason why she screamed for a long time whilst in your arms. If in doubt, maybe take her to another vet for a second opinion.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2010, 09:38 AM
hi hun, to rule out the dew claw you could put a small bandage round it to keep it protected? you know the type the vet use.

what age is she now?

do dallys tend to be prone to pano? its quite common in rotties although I have never had one with it, I have seen a few with it, sometimes its very sudden with onset, though I have not seen one squeal with it,

my other thought was the elbow? I assume this is a front leg thing?
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Dont know what to suggest but hope you get to the bottom of the problem sounds terrible for you and bubble hope she recovers soon x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2010, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Thanks hun

I really don't believe it's the dew claw. I think the vet was clutching at straws to be honest.

I have already asked the vet if she can do some xrays while Bubble is in on Monday as she'll be under anyway for her spay. Having worked there I know that they don't do xrays under GA as obviously they have to monitor the GA but be out of the room for the xray but perhaps sedate her first? Or after?

If it were the dew claw I would ask her to remove it whilst she was under but I don't believe it is. We've just been for a very short walk and she was limping noticeably on the way back.

I was also thinking torn ligaments or something because there's nothing to feel so doubt it's skeletal. Would x rays show a torn ligament?

She's definitely in a lot of pain when she hurts it - the rest of the time it's uncomfortable but it doesn't stop her doing things, which is why she keeps bloody hurting it!

I'm keeping her walks short and on the lead until she hopefully has some investigations on Monday and trying not to let her mess about too much in the garden and around the house but you know puppies!!
Yea torn ligement sprang to my mind too,its one of those things that take a age to heal, even when they are in healing process they can still be painful on certain turns/movements. Xrays may not show that but if the xray rules out any deformaty with joints, ie arthritis etc., it would be a way to go ie ligement, there may well be a time of limited exercise and pain relief, as with all pups she is lively and maybe this could be controlled with abit of one to one training where you just get her to sit, stay, find something (in a confined room) just stuff to keep her active mindwise. If she has a crate maybe time out to rest up.

Its hard when they are so young, but I am sure if this is the cause you'll manage....best wishes hun xxxxxxxxxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >