Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nlulu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-12-2010, 12:02 PM

Whippet pup - In need of some advice pls

Hi Guys Im just wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice on behalf of my sister. She got a 6month old whippet about 6 weeks ago and he is lovely and seems to have settled with them very well except being left on his own.
He has been used to a crate since he was a tiny pup and they decided to continue with this and they are glad they did as he is a bit of a chewer still.
The problem they are having is that he seems to be getting more and more worried about being left on his own especially over night.
When they go out during the day (only left for 3 hours at a time) he crys when they leave but settles down and is always quiet and usually asleep when they get back but at night time he crys and crashes about for at least an hour before he settles and then wakes up a few hours later barking and crashing around. This goes on for hours or untill they get up.
They have tried taking him outside and then putting him back, ignoring him completely, buying warmer bedding, leaving a radio on for him and pretty much everything we can think of between us but he seems to be getting worse not better.
She is beside herself as she has had no sleep and is feeling like she is being cruel to him.
She is also reluctant to let him sleep upstairs as she is worried that this will cause him to be worse when left during the day and as I said he is a chewer so they would ideally like to carry on using the crate.
As a final note he is more than happy to go in and out of his crate and will always choose to sleep there when someone is in the house so I dont think he is scared of the crate....he is even happy to be shut in if someone is there with him.
Any advice would be appreciated as I really dont want them to starting to consider rehoming him which is where I think this will go if they cant get it sorted. They are starting to think that he just isnt happy
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2010, 12:35 PM
If he were mine, I'd move the crate into the bedroom for a few weeks during the night (mind you, if he were mine, it'd probably stay there )

He's only been there for 6 weeks so has had a major upheaval in his life and obviously feels insecure. Where did he sleep in his previous home and did the problem arise there too?

I'd also work through a desensitisation routine to work through the triggers that set off his anxiety at being left. One at a time then building to making absences more acceptable
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-12-2010, 12:38 PM
I would change his night time routine.

What time is he put to bed at night.

Maybe before bedtime take him for a short walk (not just let out in the garden), then move his crate into or nearer the bedroom.

put him to bed later, i.e if its usually 10, keep him up to till 11 or 12

See if this change of routine helps him settle.
Nlulu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Thanks for your replies....She really is worried that moving him closer to the bedroom will make him more clingy, has anyone found this to be the case?

I have spoken to her again today about their routine and he is walked for half an hour in the morning, half and hour at lunch time, 40mins to an hour at tea time and a quick evening walk before bed. All his walks include off lead play time and running around. Is this too much for a pup of his age? could he be over stimulated during the day so cant settle at night?

He slept in his crate downstairs at the breeders but with other dogs for company. They were told that he was absolutely fine in his crate over night and it sounds like the breeder didnt do as much exercise with him at all, he was just allowed to play on the field behind her house with the other dogs. Could it be the lack of canine company thats the prob?

Sorry for all the questions.... I had loads of similar probs with my pup at the beginning of the year but the things I did to help dont seem to be working with Bailey
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Nlulu View Post
Thanks for your replies....She really is worried that moving him closer to the bedroom will make him more clingy, has anyone found this to be the case?

I have spoken to her again today about their routine and he is walked for half an hour in the morning, half and hour at lunch time, 40mins to an hour at tea time and a quick evening walk before bed. All his walks include off lead play time and running around. Is this too much for a pup of his age? could he be over stimulated during the day so cant settle at night?

He slept in his crate downstairs at the breeders but with other dogs for company. They were told that he was absolutely fine in his crate over night and it sounds like the breeder didnt do as much exercise with him at all, he was just allowed to play on the field behind her house with the other dogs. Could it be the lack of canine company thats the prob?

Sorry for all the questions.... I had loads of similar probs with my pup at the beginning of the year but the things I did to help dont seem to be working with Bailey
... no solitary confinement will do that
i would defo bring the crate upstairs and slowly edge it back down,imo its mean to suddenly dump a dog/puppy all on its own and expect it to 'deal with it'
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
... no solitary confinement will do that
i would defo bring the crate upstairs and slowly edge it back down,imo its mean to suddenly dump a dog/puppy all on its own and expect it to 'deal with it'
Yes i was going to say let him sleep in the bedroom or on the landing or something he's probably a bit lonely if he has had other dogs for company at night.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2010, 03:13 PM
My pup is like this at the moment But he is not coming into the bedroom. Personally if he sleeps down stairs then start as you mean to go on. A radio on low can sometimes help. A kong or something to distract him
maybe?
ATD x
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
My pup is like this at the moment But he is not coming into the bedroom. Personally if he sleeps down stairs then start as you mean to go on. A radio on low can sometimes help. A kong or something to distract him
maybe?
ATD x
tough love eh? u must have nice neighbours
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Double post sorry
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
tough love eh? u must have nice neighbours
No but his has two other dogs for company. And with three cats taking refuge in my bedroom away from the toumenting pup plus a baby on the way it's how it has to be. He is attention seeking as when he knows we are going out he I'd quiet as a mouse only whn we are going to bed.

It just everyone says take him upstairs this is not always an option so some alternitive suggestions may be required.

As for the neighbours I'm listening to their music full blast at the moment, so they wouldn't hear a bomb I don't think lol
ATD x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >