Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Harry21
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Well glad your dogs were ok x

Sorry if im hijacking the thread a little lol

But Im a little confused with the "charging" some dogs do. Is there some kind of way to tell if a charging dog is going to be aggressive? I've had loads of off lead dogs charge at mine but them do this run back & fourth thing like they're trying to get my dog to play chase. Only a couple of times this charge has been aggressive & not playful.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 06:10 PM
I've never seen a dog aggressively charge yet. Most times when a fight has broken out it's been from very close quarters. It does sound like the off lead dog was wanting to play, but I understand it's very annoying when you have onlead dogs.

We walked past a couple with a black lab and a terrier type (both onlead) yesterday. Boo was onlead, Bryan was off. We all just walked past merrily, but the terrier type started barking and bouncing while the black lab was lunging. Bryan (offlead) took no notice and just walked past.

The woman shouted 'Get your dog on it's lead' My OH said it's OK he won't attack or anything. The woman shouts 'Yes but ours will'. Fair enough, but your dogs are on lead and our is taking no notice so what's the big deal
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 06:11 PM
ehem, you are not calling my lovely Tango "dim" are you
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
It sounds like she was a daft woman, but I am wondering if there was any possibility that she was just embarrassed - people can quite often come over gruff/aggressive in that situation.

I'm guessing she heard you shouting at her dog to know that he'd done something wrong & I think it is good that she wanted to know exactly what he'd been doing - albeit (1) she should've asked more politely (2) she should've been nearer her dog so she could see what was going on.

There's no point in letting people like this wind you up though Ramble - you'll spend half your life with high blood pressure!
I know...I was just stressed anyway with what had just happened and didn't need the dog charging around us in the first place, let alone the woman's attitude. She couldn't see her dog at all from where she was, but must have seen us and our onlead dogs. She still allowed her dog to charge up to us.
Certainly initially it wanted to play...but it did start growling at Tango and it's intentions were certainly not as clear. I didn't want any problems (since both dogs were onlead and I didn't want to drop them given what had just happened) and my son was standing in the middle.
It was the lady's attitude that got me the most though as I would have shrugged the whoel thing off had it not been for that. She obviously didn't like me shouting at her dog.

We saw her later and put both Cosmo and Tango into a sit before she passed us. Neither of them paid her dog any heed as we had hotdog! She walked past holding her dogs collar and thanked us.

You are right, it was good she at least asked...but i do think she was going to launch into telling me he was only playing. He was...to start off with...but Tango is a nutter when that happens and becomes a bit too much for the dog that is doing it and so his demeanour definitely changed, his growl wasn't playful.

I do admit I wasn't much in the mood either.
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Oh Lordy; don't get me started on that!!
Indeed....
Originally Posted by Harry21 View Post
Well glad your dogs were ok x

Sorry if im hijacking the thread a little lol

But Im a little confused with the "charging" some dogs do. Is there some kind of way to tell if a charging dog is going to be aggressive? I've had loads of off lead dogs charge at mine but them do this run back & fourth thing like they're trying to get my dog to play chase. Only a couple of times this charge has been aggressive & not playful.
It's hard to say unless you see it. Sorry...not much help.
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I've never seen a dog aggressively charge yet. Most times when a fight has broken out it's been from very close quarters. It does sound like the off lead dog was wanting to play, but I understand it's very annoying when you have onlead dogs.

We walked past a couple with a black lab and a terrier type (both onlead) yesterday. Boo was onlead, Bryan was off. We all just walked past merrily, but the terrier type started barking and bouncing while the black lab was lunging. Bryan (offlead) took no notice and just walked past.

The woman shouted 'Get your dog on it's lead' My OH said it's OK he won't attack or anything. The woman shouts 'Yes but ours will'. Fair enough, but your dogs are on lead and our is taking no notice so what's the big deal
Some people panic. I admit I probably panicked a bit yesterday...BUT the growling started after the charge and bouncing around, Tango can beat any dog at bouncing whether she is onlead or not...it upsets some dogs.
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
ehem, you are not calling my lovely Tango "dim" are you

'Nice but dim' is how she projects herself...she may well be plotting world domination on the quiet, it wouldn't surprise me...but bless her she hides any intelligence well!!!!
Merz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Hi-know what you mean by 'charging'-my Hatti was charged by two German Shepherds and a Ridgeback and she was on a lead as she had injured her back leg. They bowled her over-the result of which is now an injury to a muscle near her spine. I had stepped to one side to let a jogger pass, not knowing that following her were the 3 dogs. She hadn't a clue what they were doing as she was quite a way in front of them. I didn't think they were being aggressive until I heard a low growl and saw lip curling from one of them-frightening! My girl just lay there in, I suppose, a submissive state until the dogs decided to run after their owner. I found out shortly after that the dogs did belong to the jogger as another chap walking his dog had just had the same experience. It is upsetting especially if your pet ends up with an injury because of the incident.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Merz View Post
Hi-know what you mean by 'charging'-my Hatti was charged by two German Shepherds and a Ridgeback and she was on a lead as she had injured her back leg. They bowled her over-the result of which is now an injury to a muscle near her spine. I had stepped to one side to let a jogger pass, not knowing that following her were the 3 dogs. She hadn't a clue what they were doing as she was quite a way in front of them. I didn't think they were being aggressive until I heard a low growl and saw lip curling from one of them-frightening! My girl just lay there in, I suppose, a submissive state until the dogs decided to run after their owner. I found out shortly after that the dogs did belong to the jogger as another chap walking his dog had just had the same experience. It is upsetting especially if your pet ends up with an injury because of the incident.
Aw your poor girl.
Hope she is okay now.

It does defy belief that someowners are not aware of what their dogs are doing when they are out.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Some people panic. I admit I probably panicked a bit yesterday...BUT the growling started after the charge and bouncing around, Tango can beat any dog at bouncing whether she is onlead or not...it upsets some dogs.
Sorry, I wasn't meaning anything about you, I think that woman was a numpty too

In my situation, my dog hadn't done anything at all! So in a way I was like you in your situation (only mine was off lead) if you see what I mean.

This woman I was on about said her dogs would attack, but they were on leads. When I had Tilly, who was aggressive to other dogs, I was of the mindset that I needed to control her and if someone's offlead dog came up to us, then it was up to me to keep control of the situation/my dog. (I know it's totally different to the thing that happened to you)
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2