View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 12:47 PM

Boarding Kennels where to find good ones? (Notts/Derby)

Planning ahead here - it's rare we're going to travel without the dog but we know we've got one occasion toward the end of the year where we're going to need to for an overnighter. Heard some horror stories about some pretty grotty operations and want to make sure we're going to be able to get him somewhere decent nearer the time (plus it's handy to have a few numbers or ideas in case of an utter utter emergency).

No idea where to start though? I'm on the Nottingham/Derby border just over the boundary line so I've got the two cities I can hit up. Anyone got any recommendations or places to start looking?
AJB
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2011, 12:57 PM
We've used Hillway in Ockbrook. Kira and Dylan have stayed there a couple of times and been fine. The staff seem to look after them well. They have a good website if you want to have a look. The owner is also happy to let you have a look around before you book. I hate the idea of kennels but we tried a pet sitter who stayed at our home and it was a mini disaster. We're on holiday later this year for a couple of weeks and have booked them into Hillway. My husband takes them though since I hate saying goodbye. I'm such a big baby.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks - will chase that one up since it's fairly near us (we're just off the 52)... planning well in advance here since it's a concert in London we're going to in November!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
Thanks - will chase that one up since it's fairly near us (we're just off the 52)... planning well in advance here since it's a concert in London we're going to in November!
You must be very close to me then cos i'm just off the A52 on the Notts/Derby border.

I can tell you not to go to Roughstones in Kegworth (mine have been there and they wouldnt go again) and my sisters boxer went to somewhere on Hopwell Lane in Draycott. Not sure what the actual kennels were like but they did keep our 15kg bag of food and when we went to collect it we got a fraction of it back and the bag was covered in dog wee. That put me off.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm in Stapleford Leanne - so probably am.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Lol, me too, PMSL!!

I've probably seen you knocking about!
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm not the one cringing with embarassment about ASBO dog - honest!
AJB
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2011, 10:17 AM
I'm in Chilwell so not too far either. We must be living in a Dogsey hot spot!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 10:57 AM
I live in willington and use covert canine centre near chellaston (just off a52) its not the most up to date kennel block, but they are really lovely people who run it and they look after the dogs well.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Wow, there are a few of us around here!!

Is Willington the place with the decomissioned cooling towers?

Just thought, there is a new boarding kennels called Stapleford Boarding Kennels down Bessell Lane.

http://www.staplefordboardingkennels.com/index.html

I've no experience of them.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >