Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2007, 05:02 PM

Wormery...

Oh this is going to sound like a gross question but has anyone ever had/made a wormery as my 4 year old son wants to make one.

Does it take much upkeep (for a 4 year old), and most of all, does it stink? Will the worms crawl out?

He's seen it in a book club leaflet, a wormery set (really its just a bag of sand and a bag of compost an a plastic tub, you have to get your own worms!

I guess it will tell me all you need to know in the booklet but nothing better than a first hand experience. If anyone has actually had one I will give you a prize! :smt043
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Erm nope, but we keep snails.......... good luck with the worm hunting...
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Heh!,heh!quite a character your wee boy is,next it'll be an ant farm,
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2007, 05:24 PM
LOL!

Oh no not ants, I have to draw the line somewhere!

Although we could have had a flea circus a few weeks ago! :smt043
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2007, 06:39 PM
My friend actually has two wormeries, they are her pride and joy!!
They don't stink, and the best place to get your worms from is an angling shop, you need tiger worms. Apparently they take to wormery life very well and breed fast!!

My friend has hers in purpose built wormeries that she bought from ebay but i dare say you could make one quite easily from a plastic storage box complete with lid. You need to drill loads of hole in the bottom, cover with fine mesh, worm bedding can consist of some decent compost but don't forget you have to feed the little critters.

My friend feeds hers on the scraps she would normally put in her compost bin, tea bags, banana skins, potato peelings etc. If you look on the internet you can buy worm food, I think if you go on ebay and look for Stokes worms they can supply you with all sorts of things. I have pm'd you with a site that covers wormeries!! Hope your little chap has fun with his.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by novavizz View Post
My friend actually has two wormeries, they are her pride and joy!!
They don't stink, and the best place to get your worms from is an angling shop, you need tiger worms. Apparently they take to wormery life very well and breed fast!!

My friend has hers in purpose built wormeries that she bought from ebay but i dare say you could make one quite easily from a plastic storage box complete with lid. You need to drill loads of hole in the bottom, cover with fine mess, worm bedding can consist of some decent compost but don't forget you have to feed the little critters.

My friend feeds hers on the scraps she would normally put in her compost bin, tea bags, banana skins, potato peelings etc. If you look on the internet you can buy worm food, I think if you go on ebay and look for Stokes worms they can supply you with all sorts of things. I have pm'd you with a site that covers wormeries!! Hope your little chap has fun with his.
Oh I will have to have a look on ebay then, might be better than getting him something that will probably break sooner or later! Thanx for this, very useful! Glad I posted now! THANK YOU!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-09-2007, 09:07 PM
I've got one, but the worms are quite fussy you know, no citrus fruit and no onions or leeks etc. etc. and Karen is right they are a doddle to make out of those stacking toy bins you just drill holes in the bottom about 2cm diam. mine came from stoke worm too. If i can find the instructions I can pm them to you if you like
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I've got one, but the worms are quite fussy you know, no citrus fruit and no onions or leeks etc. etc. and Karen is right they are a doddle to make out of those stacking toy bins you just drill holes in the bottom about 2cm diam. mine came from stoke worm too. If i can find the instructions I can pm them to you if you like
Excellent that would be very useful thankyou!

Going to get the stuff for him tomorrow and make a start as he is so excited!

One of those toyboxes sounds a great idea!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-09-2007, 11:46 PM
I've pm'd the instructions, it's a bit long winded but once you've read it, it's actually really simple
Dolly
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2007, 10:18 AM
Perhaps he only needs a simple one like this for instance http://www.holidayboredombustersfork...dults/id35.htm
This is a more detailed explanation
http://www.wormcity.co.uk/
If you do a search on any Search Engine you will find everything you could possibly want to know about worms! Good luck
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >