Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 04:57 PM

Won't be doing that again..

I've got a rabbit in the freezer for Louie and my problem is I have to gut it... so I decided even though I have been told how to do it - to read up on it to get a better idea of what I was to be doing..

Never again!

There were even videos and photos
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 05:07 PM

I remember when I first starting feeding raw, I was one of these tea-towel over the face and rubber gloves clan lol. You soon get used to things if you do them often enough (although I haven't gutted a rabbit as you can't seem to get them round here).
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Wimp!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Why do you need to gut them?
(just curious).
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 05:20 PM
C&D - tapeworm, although he is due for worming so I might leave the guts (although SB's comments and Leanne's and Katie's make me want to do it ) and worm him a few days after he's eaten it..

JJ - doesn't your butcher do them?
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
C&D - tapeworm, although he is due for worming so I might leave the guts (although SB's comments and Leanne's and Katie's make me want to do it ) and worm him a few days after he's eaten it..

JJ - doesn't your butcher do them?
Not that I've seen. Round here we're really limited (although I get my carcasses free from a halal butchers, and got MASSES of offal for free too today).
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 06:49 PM
It's so easy, once you take the plunge and do it you'll wonder why you dithered about!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
It's so easy, once you take the plunge and do it you'll wonder why you dithered about!
Or... I'll throw up and wonder why I did because not only do I have to clean up the guts I just threw everywhere but now my own sick

It would be cheaper than worming... but he needs doing so he can have them guts in this time, and maybe..maybe I'll gut it next time..
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 07:21 PM
You could try gutting the rabbit in a bowl or straight into a bag. I use an old washing up bowl then put the guts into a poo bag or something and keep them in the freezer until the binmen are due.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
You could try gutting the rabbit in a bowl or straight into a bag. I use an old washing up bowl then put the guts into a poo bag or something and keep them in the freezer until the binmen are due.
It'll be the smell more than anything - I can pretend it's just spaghetti or something, but the smell of defrosting rabbit is enough for me - guts would probably be a bit too much... Next one - I'll try.. I'll attempt, but I'll have two bowls at the ready, just in case..
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >