View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2011, 06:53 AM

Where do you buy your dogs' cheap fish from?

I need to add more fish to their diet, they currently get tins of cheap tuna/sardines (cheap non-ethical asda's own tins) a few times a week but for big dogs I get through a fair few and there must be a cheaper way to get real decent fish into their diet?

Where do you get your fish for your dogs from?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2011, 07:17 AM
I know it's not quite the same but I often stock up on the Fish4Dogs salmon mousse - it's 99% salmon and 1% seaweed. It's in convenient pouches so I can store the box and just grab pouches for dinners or to stuff the Kongs.
Tinned mackeral is also quite a cheap fish to feed, and Iceland do frozen white fillets which work out reasonable (and handy to keep a pack in the freezer - mine won't eat it raw but you can cook them in the microwave). Otherwise if I pop to Tesco before work then they often reduce the fish off the fresh meat counter to cheap prices, and I just stock up and freeze the excess.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2011, 07:23 AM
My Nephew works on the fish quay and often brings me great boxes of fish that I freeze for Pepsi
One of the perks of living in a fishing town!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2011, 07:32 AM
I buy fish for the family, so they often get the off cuts (Heads, raw bones, tails, the seafood that didnt open, or is a little iffy) I also buy bags of sardines/mackerel for them £2 for around 8-9. I also buy tinned fish (again sardine or mackerel). I also (when desperate) buy the frozen bags from Tescp/Iceland/Sainsburys.
Lady Marmalade
New Member!
Female 

27-09-2011, 08:31 AM
My dogs love Fish4Dogs...the ingredients are all natural, they can be a bit pricey but I found this website sells it at decent sale price.

http://www.petshopbowl.co.uk/search....h4dogs&x=0&y=0
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2011, 08:41 AM
I am now on the Kent Coast so for me it it cheap and handy!

Iceland and Lidl from what I have seen do cheap fish.
cornishmals
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-09-2011, 09:45 AM
Morrisons often mark down fish towards the end of the day,they also sell salmon heads and trimmingd.It would be worth asking the fishmonger there.Years ago we used to have a fish monger who travelled around our village once or twice a week those were the days.
Just an idea,but what about asking your local fish and chip shop if he can get a box of cheap fish for you at a wholesale price eg Coley is fairly cheap.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2011, 11:18 AM
I get Jakes fish fresh from Asda. I usually get it reduced, but even at full price I find it works out cheaper than tins do.
WarFlyball
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-09-2011, 01:53 PM
There is a traditional fishmonger in town who will keep me a bag of off cuts and chargers 20p for a huge bag Dogs love it - heads, tails, and loads of other stuff with lots of meat on them!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 01:58 PM
DAF (Durham Animal Feeds) have started doing Salmon steaks but I've not tried them with my boy yet. That or canned mackrel or reduced fish from counter can go in the freezer.

TBH, I'm looking into this just now and I think Orijen or F4D's is cheaper than buying your own fish, even the AMP blocks of white fish are not so cheap at well over a quid a lb and I would need to feed 4/5lb a day on fish only for my boy as he needs the calories.