View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-11-2005, 03:26 AM
Thanks for the clue JR (now I can remember the connection regarding names etc...)

I have learnt alot as you say and scratched only the surface. Your information suggests to me that there are two Sparrow Hawks around here but because I have only noticed two small birds taken in maybe this past year(unless its taken them when I have not been a witness)as most birds lost are Doves, its been a female mainly at work. So I suppose the thought that passes through the mind is were the kills for her alone or possibly youngsters in a nest somewhere.

Sometime ago I'm sure that it was reported that pigeons inour town centre were being taken by a bird of prey that was being taken there deliberately by its owner to train it or allow it to take the birds, I know there were threats about prosecution but never remember reading of anyone being officially warned or caught or action taken.

From previous observations I believe that birds taken in my garden by the Hawk is oppertunistic as many birds and even aireoplanes seem to take a certain path that follows a similar direction that takes either over our house or near to. We are approximately 5 minutes walk from the town centre and all these pigeons(thankfully they do not come into the gardens)but I suspect the female hawk in particular is either on the way to or returning from the town centre when it spots a kill in my garden and maybe I assume the neighbours but naturally I'll notice it as I feed them the best so it will happen here the most.

I cannot claim that I have taken as much care over the years as I have in the last year but I suppose we've always fed birds but this year has been special and better to do so now than not at all.

When I was allowed out of hospital after believing the worse that I would not be home again, I can remember walking the streets and being so grateful to be home and so happy to be alive. The other thing that I found myself feeling pleased over was being able to feed the birds again. And one of my simplest enjoyments was spending days in a local park feeding and watching the birds/squirrels. Now, I have them here in my own garden...even some squirrels.

Thanks for the support and good wishes

Cheers

Gildy
cumbriandoglover
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-11-2005, 12:29 PM
gildy, as someone who keeps raptors, believe me it takes a lot out of them to hunt, so they only do so when they need to eat.....they dont just do it when they have nothing beter to do!!!! They wil eat from a carcass over a period of days if its left with them ideally they prefer to gorge as much as possible in shortest possible time, but not so much that they become too heavy in crop or that they are likely to develop sour crop. its not gorey or gruesome...its perfectly natural nature. i cannot understand how anyone can find this gory
re: your oddly behaving pigeon...its probably got botulism, croup or one of several other nasties that infect the pigeon species & is not up to full health. Sitting on the ground like this is a classic symptom.
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-11-2005, 01:05 PM
Hiya,

Fine if that's what's wrong then the dove will not survive and will get caught. or die. Having behaved liked that for a while it did fly away and not being expert it seemed ok. But I have doves that sit in my trees for hours so who knows.

As for Lucky, she's so well and strong...I'm opening the doors at 2pm and if she flies away fine...if not I'll do the same again tomorrow until she decides the time is right. Its a lovely day weatherwise. Equally, I leave the doors open if she goes in case she returns until she feels ready to leave for good.

If she survives great, if not, it wasn't to be but she has as much chance as any bird in the wild.

So the day has arrived...

Gildy
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Anthony, I've just read the last few messages and I'm dying to know - Is Lucky still at home??? or has she flown the nest??

Cafe Ash has been incredibly busy today, think I need one of those ticket dispensers and a bouncer!!

I'll type more later, but for now - How's Lucky doing?
Mango
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-11-2005, 04:30 PM
Hi to all......

How are you AL, busy by the sound of it

Gildy, it sounds like Lucky's day of freedom is here

I wonder how many of us are waiting to hear

Looks like I've got my wish of the birds coming back to the garden :smt048 :smt048 :smt048

And for the first time a blackbird is visiting in the winter, which hasn't happened before.
I wonder whether it's an adult from the spring or one of the babies as he does seem to respond to my voice and opening and closing his beak as I speak to him

I'd like to find a photo I have of a blackbird and put it up, hopefully I will.

Take care all,

Chris x
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-11-2005, 04:59 PM
Hello Ashlady and Mango,

Good to hear all your news

Well what can I say? Apologies if some of this is already known.

I opened up the doors into the garden and left her alone for maybe 3 hours with minimum of interference in case she wasn't sure. As it was dark and cold I decided around 4.10pm to have a look and think of closing the doors for the night.

Whether she's been out and returned(or stayed put)Lucky is still here so she either has to get used to the idea of being free or likes where she is
If doves could be being put off by birds of prey all I can say is that in or around my garden today I have seen approx 12.

On a sad note not long before I found Lucky still here, you'll remember that our neighbours were having a conservatory built. For whatever reason its been done at quite a slow pace by two people. A knock at the door around 3.50pm and the neighbour was telling us that one of the builders had collapsed and at first they thought he was joking as they have been doing so whilst doing the work.

Any how two emergency ambulances came and after sometime the news is that they could not revive him and he has died. So its sad news for all concerned. On the practical side I don't know how that affects the work being done. He also parked his truck on our grass verge so that will be there all night and again I'm not sure who'll collect that(unless its a hire truck and the company comes to get it)

Just as well you never really know what the day has in store.

Gildy xx

Chris...just seen your message here(I'll add some more later and/or PM soon)
Mango
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Oh dear Anthony that is just so sad, about the chap that was working next door
What a shock for his family and like you say, perhaps just as well we don't know what is in store for us.

Wow, all those birds of prey I just can't quite imagine seeing that number!

Very occasionally I might see one chasing a bird in the sky, or see them fly over but touch wood have never had any in my garden.
We do have a couple of 'nuisance cats' but so far.....touch wood have never caught or harmed any birds in the garden

It sounds like your weather is similar to ours, very frosty but beautiful bright and sunny days.....only problem I find is that the sun can be quite blinding to be able to see the activity in the garden as the sun is so low in the sky, but then at least I have eyes to see........

I don't blame Lucky for staying put after all who'd want to risk being attacked and have to look for food and warmth when they don't need to :smt038

What a day in must of been for you

Chris x
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-11-2005, 09:55 AM
I owe some PM's to some of you which I will follow up but a quick update on Lucky.

I've left the doors open every day from morning until night and she as yet has not decided to go. I understand snow may arrive on friday and they are talking of temperatures of -10 possibly anywhere. So I could understand if she stays put or goes away and returns.

She got spooked late last night, don't know why, she flew around the room approx 5 times getting faster and faster and then sat again where she usually does and calmed down very quickly but I thought she wasn't going to stop. This morning she's ok again. And of course she had all night to settle down.

So we'll have to see what happens next. She's still eating and drinking and alert. And looks to be in good condition.

Gildy xx
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Lucky is still staying put and looking at me as though I'm not all there(which is probably true) She's probably being very wise.

I'm not surprised it was a cold night and the frost has been particularly bad this morning, my garden is just losing the final bit of frost at 2pm and neighbouring gardens still have all of their's. And now they say strong winds, blizzards and very cold by Friday and Saturday. Yesterday, it was the freezing fog.

Lots of birds now definately using the feeding stations and looking for food in general.

Found a couple of small bulbs on top of the soil(probably the Squirrel when it buries its cache of food but easily replaced and its not too much of a problem...so far)

Could be a busy time

Think I'll follow Lucky's lead and take it easy too.

Gildy xx
cumbriandoglover
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-11-2005, 04:58 PM
i am not sure how long this bird has been captive now, but birds lose flight condition very very quickly...so part of this reluctance to fly is most likey unfitness. You need to fitten her by holding her in cupped hand & casting her (throwing) upwards to manageable perches. e.g a flat single storey roof would be a good height to cast her to. When we have young birds & are about to start getting them flying afor the 1st time or are recouperating sick birds, we cast them like this four/five timeas a day for about 5 dyas....working up to greater heights as it progresses. Flight is easily lost if a ird is laid up too long.
Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 >