Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2006, 07:40 PM

Surgery overseas?

As there is no NHS in Ireland and health has to be paid for, I am contemplating having surgery overseas. (was threatened with it 2 years ago in the UK and wimped out, then emigrated!) I have made enquiries of a hospital in India.

Does anyone have any experience, or know anyone who has done this either as a referral from the NHS or privately? Where would be a good source of information and advice?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2006, 08:20 PM
Hi Gill,
I have a couple of Indian guys at work - one has just got back from having a bunion removed in India, but I've no idea what the cost comparisons are. The second one went to the dentist today to have his bridge assessed - it has worked loose, and according to the dentist needs replacing. In this country cost is £450. In India £50. Ticket to India is about £300, so he can see his family and get the bridge replaced and still be quids in. Most everything in this country is overpriced IMO, and not even that good. I paid £1200 privately for a bridge, and I'm not overly impressed with it HTH xx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2006, 08:34 PM
No experience just be very, very careful that you get a good hospital etc. Do your research thoroughly first, eg have a look around the Internet, see if there are any forums etc.

I know that people are going East for tooth work as it's so expensive over here. I believe it happens a lot over in Ireland, is it Romania they go to, and the quality of work in the right hospital is excellent.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
No experience just be very, very careful that you get a good hospital etc. Do your research thoroughly first, eg have a look around the Internet, see if there are any forums etc.

I know that people are going East for tooth work as it's so expensive over here. I believe it happens a lot over in Ireland, is it Romania they go to, and the quality of work in the right hospital is excellent.

Totally agree Lucky just be careful xx