Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Hayley SBT View Post
Ok so you would not let your collie off around sheep , thats great, so dont let a dog with the DOG fighting instinct off around other dogs! But does that mean they should be kept away from child, when they are so well known and proven to better with child than most bull breeds?

just pointing out your post is good! i agree what what you have said!
Hayley ...ta!
I also agree with you.

Agree the initial post could have been worded better. I haven't mentioned children at all because the child in the scenario wasn't attacked (infact was obviously eating around the dogs and that wasn't the problem...it was when food was dropped, which YES could be a problem in ANY multi dog household).

My point (which I think you see Hayley) and which is the same (Ithink) as Dawn's, is that whilst any breed can fight...it is more instinctive in some breeds and when that instinct kicks in (and as the OP said you never know the minute...which I think is his point...)there isn't a lot you can do with 2 'fighting' breeds (for want of a better term) when they start to lay into each other and mean business...with other breeds...where the instinct to fight and injure, isn't as strong, it IS easier to stop the fight. We can all cite instances of aggressive behaviour in other dogs and I couldn't agree more about that happening...but the issue here is the instinct...that is not a criticism at all...not one bit and I hope no one sees it as that as I'm not trying to be argumentative or controversial. :smt001
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 09:06 PM
to the OP did the owner have breaking sticks?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-02-2007, 09:09 PM
hayley why do you need breaking sticks? from the bit i know they are sticks to stop dogs from fighting?
is it a common thing with the bull breed owners to carry / have them around in case they are ever called upon.
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 09:18 PM
i have them as i have 2 male staffords, i personally think all bull breed owners who have more than 1 bull breed in the house should own them!
A break stick is the best method to stop a fight, for bull breeds
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Hayley SBT View Post
i have them as i have 2 male staffords, i personally think all bull breed owners who have more than 1 bull breed in the house should own them!
A break stick is the best method to stop a fight, for bull breeds
Dont even get me started on that again
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 09:19 PM
have you all kissed and made up like someone suggested good know i can ask a question call me stupid call me ignorant but what is BREAKING STICKS pleaz tell me it does not mean they break when they hit the dogs ive never owned a bull breed but am in great favour of them there an amazing breed all types of bull breeds i mean . and obviously as my ignorance points out never heard of breaking sticks there for never used
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 09:21 PM
They are sticks used to break up fighting dogs, made common by Pit Bull fighters, they prize open a dogs jaw when its locked on another dog.

Never owned a Bull breed? thought you had a Boxer?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-02-2007, 09:22 PM
i wonder how many owners actually have them as a safe guard.
the owners i know of staffies around me don't have them or at least i have never seen any out with them, si correct me if i'm wrong the males are more ready to fight than the females?
i guess if you had 2 bull breeds having a go at each other it could turn nasty quick.
do you think the bull breeds prey drive is higher than other breeds?
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 09:24 PM
as dawn said they prise the dogs jaws apart as they have such a strong tight jaw where its impossible to open without the sticks!
Mine do it to socks lol, i cannot open their jaws when they have a sock they wont drop!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-02-2007, 09:25 PM
boxers are related to the bull breeds, the original breeds that make up the boxers where used as fighters of boars and bears if my memory serves me right.
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 25 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »