View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2006, 07:23 PM
isn't the point that Lurchers recieve current day crossings and any crossing as far as NI are concerned finished years ago??

(Hope I got that right about the Lurchers, correct me if I'm wrong anybody )
micki
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-02-2006, 07:30 PM
The NI and the Utonagon are different breeds.. Mel how can u comment on my statements when u say its irresponsible to cross a GSD with a Malamute? some might say its irresponsible to own a Sib or Malamute if you're not gonna work it.. lurchers are bred from several crosses,is that irresponsible?.. your comments could be percieved as a personal attack on every lurcher breeder. My Neo-Rott was a deliberate cross.. hes poss the best family dog/protector ive ever come across. i wouldnt want a Rot or a Neo but the cross fullfills what i wanted.... so why is it irresponsible? if thats irresponsible then im all for it..
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2006, 07:31 PM
does it really matter? I love my dogs for what they are, fantastic loving companions, not for what a piece of paper says...
micki
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-02-2006, 07:33 PM
yes Mys lurchers have current day crossing, our NI's dont.... Hence lurchers a cross breeds (and very good ones) and NI's arent.. But of course we all know that anyway lol.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Gems
does it really matter? I love my dogs for what they are, fantastic loving companions, not for what a piece of paper says...
I'll second that!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
isn't the point that Lurchers recieve current day crossings and any crossing as far as NI are concerned finished years ago??

(Hope I got that right about the Lurchers, correct me if I'm wrong anybody )
That is correct, but NI & Utonagan seem to use different breeds too, think the only way for the rest of us to understand is for those who are involved in producing this breed to get together and explain what the ordinal plan was, how it has been executed and what the current situation is. At the moment those who I have 'spoken' to or read seem to be on a different breeding plan, and I would really like to know what the original aim was, what breeding program was undertaken and how near to the original aim they think they have got.

I am happy to accept that individual breeders are producing to type but are all breeder doing so, and if they are can we know how the group of breeder who have been involved in the production of this new breed have organised their work. Would also be interested in knowing if IN and Utonagan are the same or different and if the same why the different name and if different how they differ.

Have tried on any number of occasions to understand the claim that the NI and Utonagan are a breed in their own right but have not yet had a satisfactory answer, would welcome a detailed description on the concept of the ‘new breed(s)’ and how they have evolved.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by micki
yes Mys lurchers have current day crossing, our NI's dont.... Hence lurchers a cross breeds (and very good ones) and NI's arent.. But of course we all know that anyway lol.
Micki, if you know then perhaps you are the person to answer my questions above, when did you start your breeding program, what was your aim, how did you achieve it, what health checks have you undertaken, are other breeders following your breeding program and how do these programs interact?

We are not in any way criticising your ‘breed’ we just want to know how this new breed came about, it must be documented if, as suggested, you have applied to be recognised by the KC and that recognition is shortly to be granted, I find it hard to understand why all the secrecy
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-02-2006, 08:58 PM
there is actully a book beeing written on the northern inuit at the moment, so hopefully before long you will be able to buy the book and read the full history,of corse the kennel club have got all the details of the history,and the breeding program up to today,there is also a health file containing 14 years records[again the kc have a copy to consider].the purpose of the breed was health,looks,and workability,the breed is florishing in all three.
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-02-2006, 09:02 PM
one intresting fact,the german shephard or alsation,the history and breeding of this dog was not written till nearly 50 years after the breed started
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-02-2006, 09:11 PM
I can't believe you are still asking the difference between Utes and NI. We've covered this old ground over and over and its time it was buried. They are two separate breeds. The NI was developed first using Inuit type dogs - Sib.Husky, Alaskan Mal and GSD for trainability - the Ute society took this breed and added collie, akita, belgian shepherd and possibly others, so theirs is a totally different look and slightly different working attitude. Both are very attractive dogs but are different - many of the older Utes look like NI simply because thats what they are - but as time goes on they have diversified and developed a different breed. Hope that clears this up once and for all.

As Julie has said, the book is being written and the less time I have to waste explaining things on here the more time I will have to spend on my book!
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 22 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »