Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Sadly - there are many many dogs who are never walked. Not because they are `too precious` but because their owners are too idle, ignorant or mean.
And many more who `get a nice walk at the weekend`.
And thousands whose idea of a walk is a march to the shops and back.
Very sad.
What pleasure all those owners are missing.
True and it's just as sad for these dogs imo.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
And none of then have anything to do with the show world.
Lots of wrongs don't make a right and TBH she ought to know better.

Why defend it----just because she is a show person? I have met agility people in the past who did appalling things to their dogs----no way would I defend it in private or in public.

rune
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 04:38 PM
This is why I hate programs like pedigree dogs exposed! They pick on a really small eccentric minor group of people and make it out that some how this is the norm for pedigree toy brees.

They dont preasent a fair arguement to the point their trying to make and are just stirring trouble for pedigree dog owners who are normal and take their dogs out for walks.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
shameful but i have a gut feeling it is made up, surely she must know this is going to give her negative press.
I hope for the little dogs sake it is made up. But I doubt it
The last time I watched crufts I remember a shelti owner on there who had done a little segment on the 'show dogs at home' and she was saying how she dosent exercise her dogs becuase this would tkae some of the goodness in the food away from the coat
For some people it is all about the winning
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Lots of wrongs don't make a right and TBH she ought to know better.

Why defend it----just because she is a show person? I have met agility people in the past who did appalling things to their dogs----no way would I defend it in private or in public.

rune
Exactly, this is something that really I cant get my head around. By defending it then, to me, it looks like the behaviour is being condoned
Plenty people still look at crufts as the best of the best - so reading that would think that is how dogs should be treated
Whenever I see anything in agility I dont like I speak out against it. If someone posted on here about an interview from the agility winner that showed the dogs were being treated in ways I dont like I woulnd defend it
I have reported agility people in the past and will continue to do so

Originally Posted by pippam View Post
This is why I hate programs like pedigree dogs exposed! They pick on a really small eccentric minor group of people and make it out that some how this is the norm for pedigree toy brees.

They dont preasent a fair arguement to the point their trying to make and are just stirring trouble for pedigree dog owners who are normal and take their dogs out for walks.
But this wasnt PDE - this was a newspaper interview of the owner
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
shameful but i have a gut feeling it is made up, surely she must know this is going to give her negative press.
It's from the Daily Mail - the newspaper that if it told you it was Tuesday you'd have to double check before believing them.

I'll reserve judgement for now.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Sadly - there are many many dogs who are never walked. Not because they are `too precious` but because their owners are too idle, ignorant or mean.
Very sad.
Amen to that, I know plenty of pet owners who never walk their dogs and I bet there are just as many, if not more, who aren't groomed properly, fed properly etc. This isn't a showing problem, it's a bad dog ownership problem.

Originally Posted by DoKhyi View Post
It's from the Daily Mail - the newspaper that if it told you it was Tuesday you'd have to double check before believing them.

I'll reserve judgement for now.
I agree with this too, I wouldn't be surprised if that article has been twisted/edited to sound worse than it is.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Well ifthe article is true , and that's how she keeps her dogs, in the big scheme of things it's not the end of the world in canine health issues is it,

The dog looked healthy and happt in the ring , she must have been In good condition for frank cane to have placed her best in show.

We may not agree with the way she lives, but she is not mistreated, neglected, starved or abused, Now that is shameful.

7 is to old for a dog to have her first litter, in my opinion, but it's not against the kc rules, and if her owners think she is healthy enough then it's up to them if she does or does not have a litter.

Not allowing a dog to get dirty is not the way I would keep one, but it's not The worse thing that can happen to it either.

I will take the article witha pinch of salt , it may be true or it may be exaggerated,

Who knows, now she is no longer showing, she may have a brill time doing all those doggy things she may have missed out on , or she may be one of those dogs that hates mud and dirt and demand to be keep in the luxury she is accustomed to.
Very sad.
Both excellent points. As I was reading the article on the other side and all the comments with it, I couldn't help but shout at my laptop - what about all the pets that aren't walked?. Elizabeth is obviously a happy well adjusted dog who was totally unfazed by all the noise, lights etc. in the big ring. She is in peak condition and well loved. Yes, so she doesn't get to do all the stuff that some of our dogs do - but does she know? Is she neglected? No, of course not. Just because her life is different, doesn't mean it is bad.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 06:06 PM
I would as a pet owner be condemned if I didn't walk my dog, quite rightly. It makes no difference to me in either direction whether the dog is pet, show, whatever. Dogs (yes, even the frou frou ones) need proper daily exercise and mental stimulation. Keeping an extravagant coat neat and clean in order to win trophies isn't a valid excuse to not provide this.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 06:19 PM
I pity the poor thing and any other show dog who lives this kind of existence, as that is all it is, it isn't a life.

Every dog should be allowed to have proper walks, not only is it essential mental and physical stimulus for them, but it gives them the opportunity to socialize and have fun.

I feel really sorry for that dog - and I have to question the ethics and morals of someone who keeps a dog that way. To me they are not dog lovers and are only in it for the money/kudos of winning.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
I would as a pet owner be condemned if I didn't walk my dog, quite rightly. It makes no difference to me in either direction whether the dog is pet, show, whatever. Dogs (yes, even the frou frou ones) need proper daily exercise and mental stimulation. Keeping an extravagant coat neat and clean in order to win trophies isn't a valid excuse to not provide this.
Neither is the bone idleness of some pet owners, but I'm willing to get it goes on a Hell of a lot. It certainly doesn't excuse it, my point is under exercising your dog (for whatever reason) is wrong, but it's not about showing rather poor ownership altogether.
Page 3 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »