Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
As the title asks?

What are the opinions of people on this----should people not walk in public areas if they don't like dogs?

rune-----whose posts seem to be disappearing on a regular basis
Perhaps if you weren't quite so rude, they wouldn't get removed in the first place
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Perhaps if you weren't quite so rude, they wouldn't get removed in the first place
BINGO----LOL

You just proved the truth of my removed post!

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 10:10 PM
No, of course not, but they shouldn't freak and flap their arms like windmills and scream and panic if a dog comes near them either!

Last year, we were attending a village event, and in the farm buildings a tea room had been set up with tables and chairs. The heavens opened, and everyone was jam packed inside drinking tea and eating the yummy cakes. We were sitting at a little side table with our daughter, her chihuahua and Tai, surrounded by people of all ages, shapes and sizes, when this woman looked down at me and declared that her daughter was terrified of dogs, and allergic to them, and could we please move!! Of course, we did not, and continued enjoying our tea.

Whilst I was of course very sympathetic with her poor daughter, what a damned cheek!
Again proving the truth of Judge Judy's remerks about having to have a good memory if you are going to lie.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Be good to get back on topic now.

I agree totally with BD ---again. Almost becoming a habit.

rune
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 07:42 AM
Again proving the truth of Judge Judy's remerks about having to have a good memory if you are going to lie.

rune
What? I have an appalling memory, especially for trivial details, but if you are calling me a liar in regard to the story about the woman and her child in the barn, then you had better be very careful.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by Taffsmum View Post
On our small local park when people are taking their dogs out between 8 & 9 am a Eastern European woman is taking her children to school across the road.
She is absolutely terrified of dogs. While the regular dog walkers now put their dogs on leads when we see her she grabs hold of the children & makes a de-tour to get away from us a look of panic on her face. Its a shame that she is forcing the children to be as scared of dogs as she is.
It is indeed. Does she speak english? It might be a good idea to gently try and talk to her and introduce your dog/dogs to her children?

With our two very large, we experience a lot of this type of reaction, and we always try and gently introduce our dogs to people - both adult and child - who are terrified of dogs. In the case of adults, we managed to help an indian waitress working in a local hotel over her fear by getting her to help with Tai's party trick of being fed a tempting bowl of meaty scraps left over from Sunday lunch in the restaurant and making him sit and "trust" for it. She was intrigued by this, and would tell Tai to sit and trust and keep control of the situation. She would then pick up the bowl and stroke him and tell him he was a good boy. I won't say she was totally relaxed, but she had a very extreme fear to the point where she wouldn't come into the bar if Tai was in there. I held her hand to start with, and when she touched him and saw how soft and fluffy he was, she started to relax a bit. I opened his mouth, showed her all his teeth, and how I could safely put my hand into his mouth, and it worked wonders.

The same with children. We have many instances of children running away, or cringing in fear thinking are two our wolves. We spend a lot of time explaining to them the origins of all dogs, and how lovely wolves are, how frightened they are of humans and how badly they have been persecuted. I have never failed in getting children to pluck up the courage and stroke firstly just Tai, but now we know Ben is great with kids, Ben too.

With such soft fluffy dogs, it is a wonderful opportunity for doing some good publicity for the dog world, and one I try never to miss. I hate it when I see people, especially kids, flinching in fear from my boys, and my pet hate is parents that scoop their kids up, thus reinforcing their fear.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 07:53 AM
BINGO----LOL

You just proved the truth of my removed post!

rune
I will repeat what I said before - if you were less rude, maybe your posts would not get removed!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 08:08 AM
What? I have an appalling memory, especially for trivial details, but if you are calling me a liar in regard to the story about the woman and her child in the barn, then you had better be very careful.
LOL----nothing to do with any woman and child in a barn.

more this remark

In other words, don't walk in the countryside or along a towpath if you are petrified of dogs!!

Followed by the above.

Seem to be roughly opposite opinions to me.

One is Don't do it, the other Don't windmill if a dog comes near you.

IMO NO dog should be allowed to go near anyone who might be frightened and it is the responsibility of the owners to ensure that this happens. NOT the responsibility of the frightened person to not walk in public places 'just in case' they meet an owner who thinks a large dog running in a shop or up to a family is just 'norty' and funny.

Thank you for the opportunity to prove my point.

rune
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 08:29 PM
LOL----nothing to do with any woman and child in a barn.

more this remark

In other words, don't walk in the countryside or along a towpath if you are petrified of dogs!!

Followed by the above.

Seem to be roughly opposite opinions to me.

One is Don't do it, the other Don't windmill if a dog comes near you.

IMO NO dog should be allowed to go near anyone who might be frightened and it is the responsibility of the owners to ensure that this happens. NOT the responsibility of the frightened person to not walk in public places 'just in case' they meet an owner who thinks a large dog running in a shop or up to a family is just 'norty' and funny.

Thank you for the opportunity to prove my point.

rune
Sorry, can't make head or tail of what you are talking about Rune.

As for your paragraph about no dog going anywhere near anyone who just might be frightened, I have never heard of anything quite so daft! If someone is terrified of dogs, that is very sad, and very unfortunate, but I hope you are not suggesting that all dogs should always be kept on a lead at all times just in case someone wanders past who just might be terrified of dogs. If you have a terrible fear of something, then probably it just might be a good idea to shoulder some responsibility yourself and not put yourself in that position in the first place!! I used to be absolutely terrified of moths, so I never opened the bedroom window until my lights were off - I took responsibility for my own ridiculous fear of something as harmless as a moth. Although I would not dream of suggesting that dogs are as harmless as a moth, if anyone is terrified of dogs, it is pretty stupid in my opinion on a lovely sunny day to go for a walk along a canal towpath in the middle of the beautiful northamptonshire/warwickshire countryside and expect everyone to keep their dogs on a lead just for you. THAT is being selfish ... expecting everyone else to cater for your phobia.

I cannot think of anything that I am absolutely terrified of to come up with a good analogy - the moth analogy being really not very good at all!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 08:35 PM
I obviously do like dogs but when we were "between" dogs and I was just out for a walk in the park with my husband, I was accosted by a dog who ran up to me and was doing this manic bounce thing up to my face. This was a dog of a breed I don't like and am wary of and I was not amused and a bit scared. I did say to the owner that he should not let his dog off-lead if it was going to behave like this. If we had had my elderly Mum with us, who can be scared of other dogs, she would have been terrified
Page 4 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »