Female 

18-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Could I choose cats please as neither are very popular with me today
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post

I do understand why people don't want kids and don't particularly like them - both my brothers feel this way. I don't understand why some people are so horrible about kids though . My kids are well mannered and well behaved, and I find some of the anti child stuff quite offensive, as I would anti dog ranting.
Same here, I can't help but feel slightly offended that someone would refer to my baby as 'nothing but a screaming sh** machine'. I'd also be offended if someone referred to my animals as 'nothing but flea ridden vermin', which has also been said by people who don't like animals. But at the end of the day, I understand those who don't like pets more than those who don't like children. It's everyone's individual choice of course, and I CAN TOTALLY understand those who would prefer not to have kids, but to dislike them completely, I can't.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 05:42 PM
i dont hate children, dont even really dislike them. i love little babies and love the smell and the cry of a newborn baby but i know i couldnt have one of my own.

i will just come right out and say it. im too selfish to have children of my own.
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i dont hate children, dont even really dislike them. i love little babies and love the smell and the cry of a newborn baby but i know i couldnt have one of my own.

i will just come right out and say it. im too selfish to have children of my own.
I think at 18 almost all of us are too selfish for children?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
i think im always going to be like that though, i want all my money for me. i know it sounds bad but when i work for money i want it to go on me, i would rather go on a holiday than shell out for uniforms or the latest games console cos the kids want it. stuff like that. my sister hates me for it, shes 15 and already set that she wants the whole family life, ive never felt like that. i always said if i could have a baby and keep it till it like gets to four then send it somewhere lol id be happy
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Wow! This thread has thrown up some strong feelings!

Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
Children.
I love my dogs and they add so much to my life, but my kids ARE my life.
Yup, that pretty much sums it up for me. The dogs are not so demanding, I can go out and leave them at home without worrying that social services will be called! They are a lot more easy going. But as they are a different species (the dogs, not the kids ) there isn't quite the same intensity to the relationship!

Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Dogs for me.. but...

Now 'owning' children, that's different

If I could take my time, check out the breed lines, choose a breed type that suited me, take a few out for walks, meet them at a discover children stand maybe at a child show... Then when I felt I had the time and lifestyle to suit a child, contact a reputable breeder, or look at a rescue centre....

But on the whole, I currently can't afford the time, insurance, or exercise, discipline and training demands of a child...
Oh yeah much more demanding and much more expensive

Originally Posted by kirstya72 View Post
Both
Although much as I love my children and wouldn't be without them, I couldn't imagine having another child but would add another dog in a heartbeat
Me too! I have 2 kids and really don't want any more, I have 3 dogs and I'm seriously broody for another!!!

Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I love my kids, they are my life. I love my dogs too of course. I'd have a new puppy over a new baby though. Wouldn't want any more kids, two is just right for me. I'd have loads more doggies though!

I do understand why people don't want kids and don't particularly like them - both my brothers feel this way. I don't understand why some people are so horrible about kids though . My kids are well mannered and well behaved, and I find some of the anti child stuff quite offensive, as I would anti dog ranting.
What she said! I get really fed up when people go on about not liking small dogs and you wouldn't get away with that on here so leave my kids out of it as well!

Now I just don't know why people say this? I really don't think not having kids is selfish, you don't want them, don't have them, it's not like the planet needs any more humans on it! You really could say that those of us who succumbed to our biological urges are the selfish ones! Don't do yourself down.

J.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 06:07 PM

No offense but if you are 18 you can't really make that judgment yet. Children are the last thing on most young peoples minds (mine included). But you can't honestly say how you are going to feel 10+ years down the line. A hell of a lot happens between now and then.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Isnt part of loveing your childern partly Hormonal?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
I'm 18 and would hopefully say that I'm not to selfish, at the moment I don't have any kids and although I would love one or to I don't think that I am in the right place to have a child, I would also like to experience life more ok maybe that bit is selfish, and at the moment all I have is my pets, but tbh they do get better treatment then me, after I've paid my bills they get food and treats and other things that they need and always in advance as I dont always get paid when I should, then it goes onto food for me then the luxeries like new clothes or days out although I normally plan days out where the dogs can come
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Isnt part of loveing your childern partly Hormonal?
It is, did you see that Horizon documentary where they showed how stroking a dog makes the human and the dog release oxytocin (sp?) which is sometimes referred to as the 'bonding' hormone because it's the hormone that you release when breastfeeding and it makes you feel all content and relaxed, it's a lovely feeling!

J.
Page 6 of 25 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »