View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2009, 09:37 AM
You know what else i think it is....(as I sit and ponder and come on here and tidy up with my son..) is the fact that for a fair few years now we have had a pup every year. This new addition be it pup or Mr Chuckles, will put an end to that...so it is such a mega decision isn't it? This will be it for years to come as once Biff goes to the bridge we will be sticking at 2 dogs of our own.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I think that is a big mental block ...or not so much a mental block, more a mental hurdle....
A bit of an 'unbearable lightness of being' scenario....

We also love Cosmo a ridiculous amount and worry if we will feel the same about Mr Chuckles....I know we would, but you worry about these things...
The pup has to be a friend for al of us...as well as a best doggy friend for Cosmo and I suppose that is my biggest worry.

Biff and Cosmo never snuggled together, they were never close. Cosmo does with Biff, but in all honesty Mo couldn't stand him, he tolerated him, it was like Einstein living with the village idiot! I don't want that situation again you see, I want Cosmo to have a dog companion he will snuggle with and be happy with..........how do we know if that will happen?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Infact.....Mr Chucks is only 7 months younger than m'laddo, so are we setting them up to fail? Or will that help?
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2009, 11:30 AM
He sounds delightful, and so much fun...I can understand your dilemma though. I suppose meeting your others would really swing it one way or the other...oooh he sounds so cute. xx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
He sounds delightful, and so much fun...I can understand your dilemma though. I suppose meeting your others would really swing it one way or the other...oooh he sounds so cute. xx
He is...he is the total opposite of Cosmo looks wise, he is a scruffy mutt! He makes you smile to look at as he does look like a smiler. Temperament wise, he wuold appear to be a bouncer...he is scared of feathers though.... Very interested in other dogs and lpayful. Bit nervy but thats to be expected. He is senstive and has definite herding instincts (in as much as he had to keep checking where I was if OH had him and vice versa....)
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Its a very personal Question, between you & the dog. Things to look at to help "anyone" answer this:
(no order just as they spring to mind)
1. What do you want from the dog?
2. How much can you offer the dog?
3.What dog would fit in better with the dogs u already have?
4. Your Likes & dislikes (after all you HAVE to like the dog/breed)
5. Your personal strengths & weaknesses
6.Job, time & money.

All the above add up for me that i will always get a BC/WS probaley from Ob Lines or OB x lines, & from a pup.

I would love a house full of Rescues, different breeds to try ob with , or just to love. But sadly i have to limit myself
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2009, 11:55 AM
OKay...I shall try answering the questions.
1) Companionship and fun and a doggy companion for Cosmo, I do not want a rerun of how it was with Biff and Mo, who tolerated each other, I want dogs that will get on really well and have fun with and and together. Now...does that mean we are better off with a pup???
2)We can offer the pup a good home, all the usual comforts, positive training methods
and love and friendship....I think we offer a good home.
3) We have been looking at breeds other than FCRs that would compliment Cosmo and get on temperament wise...a Beardie was on the list. I do sort of wonder if the best companion for him would be another Flat Coat though as the Flat Coats I know all understand each other. They play in a specific way (licking and pawing) and so not all breeds like that. I do not know if he would be better with a pup from scratch or a rescue though....or this particular rescue. I think we could train a pup to get on with him well....but not sure about this particular older pup that has not had much contact with other dogs.
Sigh.
4)I like him. I like Flat Coats....I don't mind not having a pup as we have had a lot of pups in the last few years....
5) We have never taken on a rescue so it would be something new and we have a strong support network in place to help us out with any problems we may have. We do have plenty of puppy experience though...
6)Ummmm....he is cheaper than a Flat Coat pup but that isn't really an issue as we have saved. We have the time to do either.

Great questions.......still no answer though. HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!
3)
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2009, 12:10 PM
U KNOW the answer...Just say it......i want the beardie!

Just one point, really playing. Flynn BC will play with Nellie BC & will Play with Perdi BSD

Mav BC will play with Nellie BC & Lily BSD

Their play with there own Breed is so much more natural Than when they play with the BSDs. & Blimey when the Grons play together its a whole NEW game that the collies just do not get!!!!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Ido want the beardie you're right. That doesn't mean he is perfect for my family though.....I want him, but that doesn't mean that I should get him.

His relationship with Cosmo is the key point now I think.....the play with their own breed is a sticking point.....

I have emailed a friend at the rescue centre who knows him to get her honest opinion.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Well you have clearly been giving it a lot of thought and perhaps (its much easier to say than do) you need to stop worrying/thinking about it too much until Mr Chuckles and Cosmo (and Biff) have met.

As you want a dog as a close pall to Cosmo, perhaps you should let Cosmo decide

Keep us updated though won't you - I really want to hear how they get on together.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2009, 02:12 PM
I will!
If they hit it off he'll be coming home.
BUT I am concerned still about the neutering. Past experience tells me it will be a false first meeting if they meet for the first time the day after his op. I am also worried that he will inevitably give off funny smells in the first 3 months...so Cosmo (and Biff when he is feeling ok) may spend that time trying to hump him which isn't ideal for a dog that hasn't had much to do with other dogs is it?
Waiting for an email, if not I'll be phoning as that could also be the deciding factor... I don't think it would be fair to introduce them the day after his op, let alone bring him home within 5 days of it.

Hali I have thought about nothing else. He is a delightful boy and on paper ideal. Just a couple of things need sorting. I will be much happier if they delay the neutering. If they don't then I'm really not sure it is fair to introduce him to our pack when he is feeling as weird and vulnerable as he will be. If he was a lone dog, it would be different as you just bring him home and give lots of tlc...Cosmos tlc will involve a lot of rear end movement.
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 23 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »