Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 06:12 PM

Worst Day Of My Life

I barely know where to begin and apologise as this is a long blog.

As some of you may know my mother has been ill, in and out of hospital for some time. She was taken into hospital Monday morning after being very ill, she had lost 6 pints of blood and had a transfusion. My sister and I saw her Monday night and she seemed a bit brighter, she was well enough to talk to us and we even had a little laugh together. It was a shock when we got a telephone call at 5.15am yesterday to advise us we needed to go to hospital, she slipped away at 6.40am yesterday - the only consolation was my brother, sister and I were all there at the end, so at least she saw us all before she went which is a small comfort at least.

I can barely tell you all how I feel about this alone, but my heart breaks to also tell you I no longer have my darling Ozzy - I lost both of them in one day. As you can imagine my heart is broken as I write, my house feels so empty, I loved him with all my heart.

It was 5.30pm yesterday evening, Sid and I were in the kitchen with Ozzy. My back was turned as I was at the cooker, Sid was squatting down on his haunches gently patting Oz as he always does, all I heard was a growl and a snap and I turned around to my horror Ozzy had bitten Sid.

There was no earthly reason for him to do it, it was totally unprevoked and he out of the blue and immensly out of character did it. If I hadn't been there I would call anyone else a liar. Sid is okay as he reacted so quickly it was only a nick fortunately but that was just it, it was fortune that's all it was. It was just under his eyelid, a few millimetres nearer and it would have been his eye. There was no doubt in his growling tone he meant to hurt, this was no accident.

We went over the scenario a hundred times, played it like a video in our heads and cannot understand why he would do this, our boy who we've owned from 8 weeks old, socialized, trained and adored and not spoiled. We have owned a Rottie before so weren't inexperienced and have always had obedience and training as fundamental in training all our dogs. He couldn't have been afraid, he wasn't being hurt, he wasn't protecting his food - any of the usual things you could associate with a reason for aggression. We said perhaps he felt my sadness but even if he did it is no excuse to attack like that, he wasn't even next to me at the time anyway.

For most forms of aggression I know and understand how to re-train and help them overcome their fears, but because it was unprevoked this would have been impossible. How can you re-train when you don't have an explanation for why he did it, we couldn't risk him doing it again either to us or any friend/neighbour. It's the hardest decision of our lives. We felt there was no option other than the one we have taken and I am sure you will all know just how hard that was to make.

Sid keeps saying he keeps thinking what did he do wrong to make him act like that so out of character? I've told him he did nothing wrong, all he was doing was stroking him nothing else. I could have understood it for example if he'd fallen on his cruciate damaged leg, something like that, but not stroking him nicely.

The irony is I have always championed the breed, always been one to say there is always a reason for an attack, no dog attacks without cause, until now. I think this is the worst thing of all, we will never ever know why.

There is nothing else I can say, I wanted to be honest with all my Dogsey friends, it has killed me to write this but I had to explain why I won't be Ozzysmom anymore, either on Dogsey or here.

RIP Ozzy 27.02.03 - 30.01.07

Goodbye Boo, I will never understand why that is the worst. I love you more than words can say, you were far too young to die, please forgive us xxxx
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-01-2007, 06:18 PM
So very very saddened to read your blog

anne x
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Oh what a very sad day for you. Thinking of you. xx
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-01-2007, 06:24 PM
How sad, but it's really only a decision you two could make, sorry Anne-Marie I don't know what else to say.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Im so sorry Anne-Marie, on both accounts. Such terrible, terrible events..
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 06:27 PM
Oh I'm so sad for your loss. There is nothing more I can say.
Till you meet again at the bridge.
C
x
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-01-2007, 06:35 PM
So sorry for both of your losses.
With regards to Ozzy,you were there and had to do what you felt best I am sure no-one is going to question your decision.

XXX
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 06:52 PM
oh i'm so sorry to read all of this. What a terrible day for you. I'm so sorry for the loss of your mum. Also for thew terrible shock of what happened with ozzy, you must be distraught.
thinking of you
janet
xx
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 07:05 PM
i dont even know what to say.
Darling Ozzy - run free at the bridge little man
Anne Marie- just a big hug - so very very sorry.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 07:05 PM
I am so sorry to hear of this double tragedy. I am thinking of you and your family at this very sad time. Sheree x
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »