Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2012, 10:19 PM

Taste in dogs

Has your taste in dogs changed over the years?

I have liked GSDs and BCs for as long as I can remember. I have noticed though that my "taste" has changed over the years.

In GSDs, I initially liked what you might consider to be the "traditional" GSD - standard coated, black/gold with black saddle. I then had a period of years where I preferred the longcoat type of shepherd. Now I am finding that my preference has changed to the dark sable DDR type of working line shepherd.

In BCs I always like the rough coated, black/white type of collie, but I can now really appreciate a nice racy looking short-coated, prick eared black/white or tricolour.

So, has your preference changed over the years - in either the breed itself, or actually within a breed?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2012, 10:24 PM
With regards to breeds I own no not really, I've always liked black and white Springers especially breed standard types that can work - dual purpose is the word I suppose!

My tastes have changed with the variety of breeds though, I found a load of old magazine clippings from when I was a teenager and they involved all sorts of breeds including the SBT, Boxer etc which don't really float my boat any more. I'm very much a gundog girl! Saying that I will always hold a torch for LGDs, Spitz and giant breeds!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-02-2012, 10:24 PM
I would never have thought i would own a tiny terrier and enjoy it so much ..
yet if i have the means i will have a large dog and small dog from here on in ...
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2012, 10:29 PM
I always liked big fluffy type dogs (Hovawart, BMD, Golden Retriever etc) but always admired Dalmatians, now owning a Dalmatian I find myself drawn towards the sleeker sportier breeds
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2012, 10:31 PM
I would never say never to most breeds to be honest, but my preference physically and temperament wise definitely lies with the gundog breeds.

With Labs, my preference has not changed. I like a middle of the road dog (not too chunky, not a Whippet in Lab clothing) in the black variety. My other two breeds don't really allow preference.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2012, 10:39 PM
I've always had a preference for dark coloured, short coated mutts The exception being the golden retriever which is one of my favourite breeds.
I am becoming increasingly fond of smaller breeds too, after always being a 'big dog' person.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2012, 10:48 PM
I always liked the more rough coated Black and White Border Collie, infact years back they would of 'only' been the ones I had.
However after having my first tri that colour kinda grew on me
But I must admit since having Bruce a much more lean racy type and short-haired I have warmed towards this type, I love to see his muscle movements when he's at speed
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2012, 10:53 PM
I used to like big hairy breeds but since researching for my own dog I now prefer leaner, short to mid coated breeds. Love pointy faces and ears too. I also have developed a soft spot for wiry slightly hobo-esque dogs currently I prefer mid size dogs but perhaps this may change in the future when I could accommodate a larger breed as I do admire some big-uns from afar. Not sure I would ever want a long coat now though.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2012, 11:15 PM
I always liked Bullmastiffs and Bull Terriers and still do, but fell in love with LGDs when I discovered them. I was never a small dog person until I met some, now I love all sizes of dogs, they all have good points and I like having big and little ones.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm a CKC person through and through, but while i think they are all gorgeous they are the only spaniel I would ever own. But after i lose sweep (and he's not getting any younger i'm not sure i could get another for a long time) oh and they have to be blenheim!

Apart from that I prefer short haired breeds, larger and sportier too. I like greyhounds, whippets. I love little dogs with very short muzzles, so Pugs, French Bulldogs that sort of thing, but i like big dogs to look really sporty.

There are lots of dogs i think are gorgeous, but i wouldn't own myself. I like collies in all shapes and sizes, but i wouldn't own one.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >