View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 09:17 AM

Jins menu so far and suggested meals.....

OK - taking on board not to go to nuts, this is what Jin has had for dinner the past 3 days:

Day one:

Bone: Beef bone, given at midday.

Lamb mince, beef offcuts and veg (yes, I know the lamb and beef together wasn't idea).

Day two:

Bone: Chicken wing, midday.

Tuna, eggshell and veg.

Day three: (today!)

Bone: Lamb bone, given late morning.

Lamb liver and peas.

Am I doing OK so far?

Other ideas for meals:

- Sardines and egg shell
- whole egg
- ox heart and veg
- tripe mince and veg
- lamb heart and veg

.... I feed veg most days.... she seems to love it.

A few questions:

> How many times a week should I fit offal in?

> Should she have bone everyday?

At the moment she is still having her Burns in the morning (may as well finish our supply and its a safety net till we have got her sussed!). But when she ISNT having kibble for breakfast, will I feed her a smaller version of dinner..... but with something else??

Example:

Breakfast: lamb mince and veg
Bone: Chicken wing
Dinner: ox heart

Or the same as her dinner.....?

Example:

Dinner: lamb mince and veg..........
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Sounds good to me.

With regards to offal, they only need it about 2/3 times per week, but be aware, too much liver has a "loosening" effect on their motions normally.

With regards to bone, I feed it every day. I like them having lots of bone and nice hard poos (not constipated, but nice, hard and well formed nuggets) as it helps clear the anal glands

If you feed green tripe, she won't need veg. I don't feed veg to mine at all (other than the odd carrot for a treat) and they're fine without it, but I know people who like to feed it every day and their dogs are brill on it. Just be aware that dogs can't process whole raw veg, so if you are going to feed it, pureé it down first as it will be easier for her to digest.

Also, with heart, just so you're aware, it's not classed as offal - it's muscle. (in the BARF world lol).

Maybe if you could get hold of a chicken carcass, she could have half of one of those instead of a wing for variation.

Sounds like you're on the right track though How are you and Jin finding it?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 09:33 AM
I personally wouldn't plan to do x on this day, y on this day and so on.
What I tend to do, roughly, is have set meals but when I feed them is random. So to put it on paper, you could have (B for bone, M for meat, F for fish)

B1: Beef bone & offal
B2: Lamb bone & lamb liver
B3: Chicken wings & chicken liver
M1: Lamb mince & veg
M2: Lamb heart & veg
M3: Ox heart & veg
M4: Tripe mince & egg
F1: Tuna & veg
F2: Sardines & veg

Then pick the ones you *definately* want to feed, and bulk out the rest with the other meals. I tend to feed 1-2 bone & offal meals a week (one meal of liver, one of mixed offal), 1-2 fish meals, 1-2 tripe meals and then mix up the rest (this is feeding 2 meals a day). Then add stuff like egg shell and extras when you want to.
So week one might be (from Monday-Sunday) F1, M3, B2, M1, B1, F2, M4. Weel two could be M1, B1, M4, M2, F1, M1, B3, and so on.

My mum's pup has slightly different to mine as I basically prepare the meals for her and my mum feeds it (my mum was a bit nervous about switching to raw but pup's tum just wasn't agreeing with commercial food), so I try to encorporate a bit of bone and offal into each meal (that way I can bag up a month's worth and it doesn't matter what bag my mum grabs - so she tends to have a bit of bone-in chicken mince in most bags, a bit of liver and bit of mixed offal in each too), then once a week she gets a proper bone like half a carcass, some ribs or similar (she's not a big dog, so this is more than enough). She has a small amount of blended veg in each bag too to bulk it out as she gets a bit hungry without it.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Ah, interesting, thanks!

I am finding it OK - the bones smell but I love sifting through her drawer in the freezer thinking "What shall you have tomorrow" type thing. She enjoys it ALOT!

With regards to the veg, I mash it when its defrosted. And she enjoys the occasional raw carrot too (especially as she is teething).

The only bit I am not enjoying AS MUCH is the bones.... which can be a bit smelly occasionally! Everything else is great.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
Ah, interesting, thanks!

I am finding it OK - the bones smell but I love sifting through her drawer in the freezer thinking "What shall you have tomorrow" type thing. She enjoys it ALOT!

With regards to the veg, I mash it when its defrosted. And she enjoys the occasional raw carrot too (especially as she is teething).

The only bit I am not enjoying AS MUCH is the bones.... which can be a bit smelly occasionally! Everything else is great.
Wait until you get onto feeding tripe bones will become none smelling in comparison lol
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 11:02 AM
OK - taking on board not to go to nuts, this is what Jin has had for dinner the past 3 days:

Day one:

Bone: Beef bone, given at midday.

Lamb mince, beef offcuts and veg (yes, I know the lamb and beef together wasn't idea).

Day two:

Bone: Chicken wing, midday.

Tuna, eggshell and veg.

Day three: (today!)

Bone: Lamb bone, given late morning.

Lamb liver and peas.

Am I doing OK so far?

Other ideas for meals:

- Sardines and egg shell
- whole egg
- ox heart and veg
- tripe mince and veg
- lamb heart and veg

.... I feed veg most days.... she seems to love it.

A few questions:

> How many times a week should I fit offal in?

> Should she have bone everyday?

At the moment she is still having her Burns in the morning (may as well finish our supply and its a safety net till we have got her sussed!). But when she ISNT having kibble for breakfast, will I feed her a smaller version of dinner..... but with something else??

Example:

Dinner: ox heart

Or the same as her dinner.....?

Example:

Dinner: lamb mince and veg..........
Just a few observations

I do not feed veggies with offal as both are laxative.
I do not feed veggies with tripe as tripe HAS veggies in it!

I feed twice a day and on average one meal is RMBs

chicken wings
legs
thighs
carcase
turkey leg
game legs and carcases
lamb, rabbit, beef etc with bones.

You can feed offal every day (small amount) or feed once or twice a week large amounts as a meal depends on what your dog can cope with.
I also feed fruits
And I feed live (probiotic) yoghurt, although some dogs are not casein or lactose tolerant.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 11:09 AM
sounds good. but like smokeybear said, i wouldnt feed tripe and veg, or offal and veg together.

i only feed bones 3 times a week, because the mince (turkey) has bone in it too.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
sounds good. but like smokeybear said, i wouldnt feed tripe and veg, or offal and veg together.

i only feed bones 3 times a week, because the mince (turkey) has bone in it too.
Where do you get your turkey mince from or does all mince have bone in it?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Where do you get your turkey mince from or does all mince have bone in it?
not all the mince i get has bone in it. i order if from landywoods, (you may want to think about a supplier if you get into it all properly, saved me a fortune!!) they do mince on its own, and then mince with added bone in, i know they definately do turkey and chicken with bone.