Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2013, 02:41 PM

Car travel

Taking Fred the frenchie to UK on Friday and think i have everything covered. Thing is he has never been on a long car journey was just wanted some ideas to keep him comfortable, just hope its not a hot day;
So far i have the Phenomone? spray, baby wipes, water, favorite blanket, kitchen towel roll (in case of sickness) and plastic bags (for poo)!!
we will make plenty of stops and he will not be fed before we travel (start out at 7am) should i soak a towel in water and keep in plastic bag incase it gets hot? anything else i may have forgot
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2013, 02:45 PM
I always fill a plastic bottle or two with water and freeze. As the ice melts the water is lovely and cool.
A bottle can also be wrapped in a towel and place in his traveling box.
I have survived many a hot day with that trick. Are you going on the ferry or euro tunnel?
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
I always fill a plastic bottle or two with water and freeze. As the ice melts the water is lovely and cool.
A bottle can also be wrapped in a towel and place in his traveling box.
I have survived many a hot day with that trick. Are you going on the ferry or euro tunnel?
Tunnel, I worry because i know squshed face dogs dont do well in the heat
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-04-2013, 03:03 PM
My dogs don't travel well on empty tummies. We give them just a little bit of food but they are all different. Is he usually travel sick?
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2013, 03:16 PM
The botttles of frozen water should do the trick and at least you can stay with your dog on the tunnel.

I have even had to fight humans off from stealing the dogs water form the frozen bottle as it is so cool and refreshing.
It works for Staffords. Freeze two bottles one for a cold water bottle wrapped up in a towel will stay frozen longer and theother to use as drinking water. Have some ginger nut biscuits with you they are good for travel sickness
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Thank you - he has never traveedl so far, he has been sick in the car a couple of times but always after food - ginger biscuits? is that for me or Fred LOL I dont think i have seen thoqse here in France, will look tomorrow
Will freeze some water as well
Thanks for suggestions
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Ginger is good for tummy upsets so anything with ginger in will do. You will have to try the Anglaise shop.

My son lives in France and he has to stock up on some things we see as a regular cupboard item when he is here.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-04-2013, 12:23 PM
My son and I have driven from Northern Hungary to Cornwall a couple of times recently with two dogs and a cat. Its a 1800 mile journey each way and takes 3 days with two nights in hotels.

Both my dogs (a Shar-Pei and Tibetan Spaniel) have short muzzles and feel the heat. Whilst travelling we always make sure the back windows are open 2 to 3 inches to allow the air to circulate and the dogs have plenty of space to move around and lie down to sleep on the back seat. I also have the stick on shades for the rear side windows and windscreen ..... you should find them in Auchan or Carrefour. When we stopped for coffee we also put one of those thick sunshades (the sort with foil on one side) on the front windscreen.

I had a good laugh over my Tibbie when my son took her through the "doggy" Border Control in Calais. There were dozens of dogs and owners in or around the building, all seemingly well behaved. When Chloe my TS arrived there, all hell broke loose with dogs of all sizes barking and pulling on their leads. Knowing what a little rabble rouser Chloe can be I naturally assumed she'd "incited the riot". I was really proud of her when my son told me Chloe had acted like a real "pro", not making a fuss and ignoring all the other the other dogs!
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Thank you for that Chlosmum, great tips. Its very hot hre today so i am hoping that tomorrow is cooler, but i have erything ready i think xx
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Hope your journey went well.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >