Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
Don't see how that follows

Re Original post - Dog got fed up with pup as they do. None of the humans intervened, so she tried to deal - to be expected.

One of the reasons I carry ball when walking with a friend's lab is she's latched onto the idea that my dog should play with her (he will on open ground) & is reluctant to take "no" for an answer. If he looks like he's getting fed up with her I give her something else to do.
if the older Boxer is not good with other dogs, why did your friend does your friend think she will be good with the puppy she has just bought.

Big boxer was put inside the house (then I was told she's not good with other dogs

On rereading your post, I am confused... does the boisterous boxer puppy live with the older DA bitch, or are they two separate households
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2013, 10:18 AM
I'm a bit confused by it too Jackbox. But can't really give my opinion where boxers are concerned as my last dog was attacked by boxers and my present dog was flattened and worried to death by my pal's boxer cross in the UK last year. So much so that she had to put her dog away because it just would NOT leave Bella alone.

So I am just a tad biased about boxers being nutcases!
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Sorry for the confusion lol!
The puppy belongs to my friend and the older boxer belongs then to her friend. Separate houses but spend a lot of time together
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
Ripley reacted normal for a dog being hounded by a big bone-headed puppy that didn't heed her obvious warnings.

The owners are the one's that didn't react appropriately. They should have controlled their puppy once they saw that he was being a pest and that Ripley didn't want to play and felt uncomfortable.

Dogs don't have to like all other dogs and that does not count as aggression what so ever. The people there have no idea how to read body language and simply by them bringing out their adult Boxer knowing she doesn't get on well with others proves that.
From what you've told us I think Timber has hit the nail on the head. Don't feel bad at all, and have the courage to control a similar situation in future by removing your dogs from it. We don't like every human we come across, so our pups shouldn't have to like every dog they come across If Ripley really was being 'aggressive' she would have hurt the pup. I've seen Bentley react similarly countless times when excitement levels have been too high.

Personally, we have to avoid Boxers if we see them out on walks as Bentley finds them a little too bouncy and overbearing (spaniels are in the same category) but that's just us and nothing against Boxers. Most have had the black face which can unfortunately be one of his triggers. They're great, fun dogs if managed correctly Perhaps you could glean some advice from Dogsey and recommend some reading for your friend to help them better understand body language? On Talking Terms with Dogs is a good one
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
Ripley reacted normal for a dog being hounded by a big bone-headed puppy that didn't heed her obvious warnings.

The owners are the one's that didn't react appropriately. They should have controlled their puppy once they saw that he was being a pest and that Ripley didn't want to play and felt uncomfortable.

Dogs don't have to like all other dogs and that does not count as aggression what so ever. The people there have no idea how to read body language and simply by them bringing out their adult Boxer knowing she doesn't get on well with others proves that.
I agree with Timber, the boxer owners should not have brought the adult dog out as well, it could well have given the puppy the wrong signals. Also they should have stopped the pup's behaviour as soon as he didn't listen to Ripley.

I would be carefull not to put my dogs in that postion again.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2