Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 05:53 AM

Between a rock and a tired place...

Due to Axel's slight limp, I was recommended to leave Axel downstairs to sleep until my vets appointment....well, after the absolute silence and peace from having him sleep on the landing...last night he was letting us know he wasn't happy!
As soon as he was in his old den (he's still fine being left in this in the day) he started scrabbling at the dog gate and yapping/whining quite loud!
Before he was allowed upstairs, he only made noise in the morning...this was a pure protest and he made his feelings known!
I hope the vet says he can sleep back upstairs soon, he's happy and quiet up there!
This morning was no better...back to half 6 again
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 06:15 AM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
Due to Axel's slight limp, I was recommended to leave Axel downstairs to sleep until my vets appointment....well, after the absolute silence and peace from having him sleep on the landing...last night he was letting us know he wasn't happy!
As soon as he was in his old den (he's still fine being left in this in the day) he started scrabbling at the dog gate and yapping/whining quite loud!
Before he was allowed upstairs, he only made noise in the morning...this was a pure protest and he made his feelings known!
I hope the vet says he can sleep back upstairs soon, he's happy and quiet up there!
This morning was no better...back to half 6 again
Cant you carry him upstairs? & not give him any access to the stairs through the night? I should imagine your upstairs to be as flat as downstairs making no difference as long as he doesnt climb the stairs
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 06:24 AM
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
Cant you carry him upstairs? & not give him any access to the stairs through the night? I should imagine your upstairs to be as flat as downstairs making no difference as long as he doesnt climb the stairs
My husband did think of that last night, but I don't know how safe it would be. He's a 35kg leggy Greyhound, we might try it tonight out of desperation! He has a dog gate at the top so he couldn't get down. You're right though, would be the same....I hope we can manage to carry him tonight, maybe towels would do it...something has to help! He's obviously distressed after being able to sleep with us.
Thanks for the reply
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 06:36 AM
My husband did think of that last night, but I don't know how safe it would be. He's a 35kg leggy Greyhound, we might try it tonight out of desperation! He has a dog gate at the top so he couldn't get down. You're right though, would be the same....I hope we can manage to carry him tonight, maybe towels would do it...something has to help! He's obviously distressed after being able to sleep with us.
Thanks for the reply
It is difficult, I know when we had our NI, she had HD & osteoarthritis so couldnt do the stairs at all but loved nothing more thn to come to bed for cuddles. We used a doubled over blanket got her to lay on it & held a side each ot get her up the stairs comfortably.
It wouldve proabaly looked hilarious to anyone if theyd watched us doin it, she looked like the queen of sheba laying there while we carried her. She weighed 34kg.

The things you do for your doggies eh?

Bev x
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 06:41 AM
Thanks, we might have to give that a try! Not sure he won't panic though. We have to do something, our sanity won't hold out forever, and he's not happy downstairs any more.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 06:53 AM
Alternatively, you can all move downstairs and sleep there with him until the vet gives him a once over.....!

Sorry you had a bad night, hopefully the vet will declare him fit and well and ready to tackle the stairs again
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 06:59 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Alternatively, you can all move downstairs and sleep there with him until the vet gives him a once over.....!

Sorry you had a bad night, hopefully the vet will declare him fit and well and ready to tackle the stairs again
Sadly we don't have any suitable way of sleeping downstairs. Our couches are only 2 seater, and no other way of sleeping there. We'll have to try and carry him.
I hope the vet does too!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Sadly we don't have any suitable way of sleeping downstairs. Our couches are only 2 seater, and no other way of sleeping there. We'll have to try and carry him.
I hope the vet does too!

It's OK, I was joking about you all moving downstairs

When the vet saw Dexter for a slight and on/off limp she banned him from going upstairs for a week - but if Axel is getting better hopefully your vet will either give him the all clear or maybe just say no stairs for two days or something similar.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
It's OK, I was joking about you all moving downstairs

When the vet saw Dexter for a slight and on/off limp she banned him from going upstairs for a week - but if Axel is getting better hopefully your vet will either give him the all clear or maybe just say no stairs for two days or something similar.
Thanks - I hope so! I really hope they clear him, we're all so much happier and sleep better with the new arrangement!
footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2011, 11:39 AM
I also think carry him upstairs, not only so you have a decent nights sleep, but also for Axel, if he's stressed his healing process will slow down, stress releases all sorts of stuff into his system which goes through every part of his body. Poor boy and poor you, we would take their pain if we could wouldn't we. Luv Gayle. X
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >