View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2016, 07:13 PM

Cleaning up puppy wee wee. Best products?

Hiya all,

I'm currently sitting in my house and the whole carpet reeks. I've been using the rug doctor pet urine stuff but that doesn't seem to be doing anything, nor does a talc smelling kennel cleaner that I purchased online... I just need my house smelling tidy, I run a business from here and to have customers back and forth is embarrassing at the moment.

Also, any house breaking tips grearly appreciated, this little monkey is only small and I know she can't hold her bladder etc but it just seems laziness to me. I'm currently doing the treats and fuss when she goes potty outside, taking her out regularly etc but if she can't be bothered she won't and then will go potty in the house, usually so close to my feet the first I know about it is when the warmth hits lol

Thanks in advance
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2016, 07:35 PM
This may not be possible, but personally I don't think that carpets and dogs mix well. When we had our boy Hal as a wee puppy nearly 20 years ago, the first thing we did was tear up all the carpets except for the stairs. Hal is now long gone, but we still have slate, tiled or laminate floors everywhere - so much easier to clean and more importantly when they wee or crap, it is easily seen and easily dealt with.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-08-2016, 08:28 PM
I've got carpets in the main rooms with tiles in the kitchen and conservatory, I also have a rug doctor machine to shampoo the carpets regularly, about every six months at a guess. My lot are house trained but before that I used the rug doctor to spot clean whenever they went where they shouldn't. Without sucking it all out of the carpet I think you're just diluting it tbh. I like my rug doctor it's very robust but it was about 500 quid. They do hire them out in the likes of Homebase though.

The hardest part is rugs because mine was shaggy I just binned it as trying to clean it made it stink.
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2016, 08:57 PM
I'm soaking up as much as I can, easily going through 3 rolls of kitchen roll a day lol. I cleaned the whole lot 2 days ago and it was fine for a few hours but then came the smell again. I can't remember is it 6 months they begin to properly hold themselves?. I swore I'd never have another after my last but the hubby and kids persuaded me
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-08-2016, 09:02 PM
Yeah I found 20 weeks it all seemed to click into place. Which is just as well as their wee's get bigger.
Loads of people swear by simple solution but I didn't think it was all that tbh.
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2016, 02:15 PM
I have found a method that works for me:

You need a carpet washer, ready with a cold or cool water mixture of the recommended carpet cleaner, an empty spray bottle, some vinegar, newspaper or kitchen towel.

1. Blot up as much as you can with something like Plenty without pushing too hard and spreading the urine under the carpet

2. Prepare or have a ready made supply of vinegar mix that is made like this:
a) put 2 tablespoons of white vinegar into an empty, clean spray bottle (I use eCover).

b)Top up to 500ml marker with COLD water

c) and if liked add a couple of drops of Lavender essential oil.

d) shake well

3. Pour about a litre of cold water over the urine patch, leave a few seconds only

4. Suck the area with the carpet cleaner, if the wee has been there a while repeat steps 3 and 4

5 Clean the carpet with the carpet washer as normal

6. Spray well with the vinegar mix

7. Once the carpet is dry, spray again with the vinegar mix to deter repeat offending.

Good luck